Roblox (the game) DOES work in VMware!

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Roblox (the game) DOES work in VMware!

Post by fatso »

Note: You might need the VMware 3D acceleration fix I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=324631
ALSO: If VMware complains about not being able to install host modules, try this (worked for me on 2 different machines)...
viewtopic.php?f=225&t=324638

I hesitate to mention this, since the folks at Roblox give the distinct impression that they're anti-linux, and they seem to view Wine as some sort of "hack", I'm a bit concerned they may find a way to bugger this up too (yes, I'm cynical). I am talking about the game itself here, NOT Roblox Studio.

I did a great deal of research regarding how to get Roblox working on linux, finding only the same 2 conclusions:
- Won't work using Wine (the "hack" thing).
- Won't work in a VM (but the only VM software I ever saw mentioned was Virtualbox).

I decided to try VMware using a Win10 install, and was greeted by the 3D Acceleration notification mentioned in my post, linked above.
I applied the fix, and installed Roblox. BINGO! Works like a charm. Out of the 8Gb of memory assigned to the VM (probably overkill), I allowed 3Gb to be used for video memory (again, probably overkill...I can't see why 1 or 2Gb wouldn't suffice). After just a wee bit of tinkering with the VM's advanced settings (strictly an effort to improve performance), Roblox runs very well. My son says it's actually a little better than when it was running on a "proper" Win10 system.
There you go. Happy Roblox-ing. :D

HINT: an SSD drive really helps!
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Roblox (the game) DOES work in VMware!

Post by fatso »

johnmarky7 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:12 pm
I also know that it does not work in VMware. I am also trying to download in my PC but it isn't working. Kindly check this site and tell weather this one is working or not.
https://robloxapkpro.com/roblox-for-pc/
I'm sorry you're not having any luck. My son has been playing it on Win10 via VMware for over a month now with no issues at all, and I didn't have to do anything "extra" to get it to work. If you're using a VPN, try connecting to various VPN servers. That did cause a failure on one particular day.
Note: Roblox might pop up and say that you need to download and install it when you already have, and you try to run it. In my experience, ignoring that and proceeding anyway has always worked. If it works for us on an old crappy laptop, it should work for someone else out there, too.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”