Games...

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
zyb
Level 1
Level 1

Games...

Post by zyb »

I have been away from Linux for a few years. I noticed Playdeb is nothing like it use to be, it really doesn't exist as it was several years ago. My question is this, Why can't I find all the free games that linux use to have? Do repos (ppas) even exist anymore or is it all nickel and diming people through steam and other places? I know there are games that come with Linuxmint, i have steam as well. Seems there where more free games in the late 90's early 2000s then now. Or am I just missing something?
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Games...

Post by mr_raider »

Most Linux gamers are now playing games from GOG or steam, and can run even windows native games with dxvk compatibility layer.

Is their a particular game you are looking for?
zyb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zyb »

Thats pretty much what I do. Nothing specific, I just miss the good old days of free only without any hidden costs. I see games in steam that I use to see in Linux for free but paid for now. I had hoped there was a free and opensource repo of some sort.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Tux cart?

Xonotic?

Dota 2?

Cs:go?
zyb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zyb »

Not really what I meant. I see there is no point in trying to explain, doubt it would be understood.
PratyayMondal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PratyayMondal »

zyb wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:18 am
Not really what I meant. I see there is no point in trying to explain, doubt it would be understood.
How about Patreon and itch? Patreon also has a small good niche of adult games along with a couple of open world games, most of the good stuffs are free. Itch needs no mention, it has got everything you can want, and most works well with wine. There seems to be some small games lying all over github, some incomplete, some dropped. Either way, there may be some other platform, housing several small games.
zyb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zyb »

Thank you for that. I will check that out.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1000 »

Don't be surprised that some things get lost with a large selection.
If you need find something about games, just try search.
for example
https://www.reddit.com/r/opensourcegames/
zyb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zyb »

I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. Redit is great.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”