one PC exectuing Linux Mint for gaming ?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
hello01
Level 1
Level 1

one PC exectuing Linux Mint for gaming ?

Post by hello01 »

Hello there :) !

i think give windows 10 on my gaming computer for Linux Mint because for me because safety and another reason .

So, nowit is possible to play big game with linux mint ? this os is able to support big game and big config ?

thanks ! :)
My Linux hardware :

my laptop : Acer Aspire E5-573G-546H
Processor : Intel core I5 5200U
Graphic cards : Nvidia Geforce 920m and intel graphics 5000
Memory : 8 gb
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: one PC exectuing Linux Mint for gaming ?

Post by antikythera »

Most games via WINE, Proton, Lutris or native linux builds as well but not ones with certain systems of cheat detection. You can get VAC banned from them if you aren't running Windows, so if you play multiplayer online check those specific games for any such issues with Linux.

On this forum, you can post in Francais too if it helps you.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
hello01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hello01 »

okay thanks for help :)

can i get feedback in this post from user give up windows to linux for gaming pls ?

thanks you but choose speak english for improve my language :)
My Linux hardware :

my laptop : Acer Aspire E5-573G-546H
Processor : Intel core I5 5200U
Graphic cards : Nvidia Geforce 920m and intel graphics 5000
Memory : 8 gb
RandomStranger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RandomStranger »

I use Mint 19 on both an older laptop and a desktop PC.
I generally have good experiences with gaming on Mint. There are some overhead because of the compatibility layer, but most single player games are mostly absolutely playable. New releases may need a couple of days or weeks before the community takes care of running them, but generally they don't need much if any tinkering.

The problem comes with multiplayer games with certain anti-cheat systems like EAC which blocks/breaks games.

Since I fully transferred to Linux, the newest and most demanding games I played were:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance (Proton): It ran fine on fairly high graphics settings in 1440p. Around 45fps with barely any drops. The game released notoriously buggy, though it mostly got fixed in the past 2 years. There were maybe 1 bug and 2 crashes I can recall over my 106hrs playthrough. I just finished it last weekend.

Fallout 76 (Proton): Free weekend opportunity. It needed some tinkering, but after I got it to run, over the little over 12hrs I put into it the game ran around the same, maybe a bit better as KDC, but with more bugs and crashes. But this one is a Bethesda game.

STALKER: Lost Alpha (Lutris/Wine): This one is a game I tried on Windows as well. The performance was about the same and I didn't encounter more bugs or crashes that on Windows either.

DIRT Rally (1) (Proton): Not a demanding game, silky smooth 60fps in 4K.

Carmageddon: Max Damage (Proton): Very unoptimized even on Windows. In my experience the stability is frame rate dependent. It runs great with Proton 5.8-GE-2-MF (and probably newer), if you push the frame rate over 60fps the game mostly stops crashing.

Doom 2016 (Proton): The game is famous about running well on Linux. I had no issues in 4K with everything on the highest settings.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”