Trying to update NVidia driver, World of Warcraft issues [SOLVED]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to update NVidia driver, World of Warcraft issues [SOLVED]

Post by HarryMonster »

Greetings, my friends!

I still have Mint 19.3, 64-bit, Cinnamon, and haven't yet upgraded to Mint 20. It will probably happen soon but I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on it yet. My PC graphics card is a GTX 1070.

My wife and I both play World of Warcraft (WoW) with Lutris/Wine and it was working well until this week. WoW released a major patch/update and many of the players haven't been able to get into the game since patch day. Reading the tech support forums for Blizzard has shown me I'm not alone with not being able to get into the game. What the Linux players recommended is to try using WineHQ-Staging instead of Wine-Stable for better results. I tried that and it didn't fix the problem. I can log into Battlenet but can't play.

The next recommendation I saw (from mainly Windows users) was to try the latest updated experimental NVidia driver, and here's where I get stuck. Opening the Driver Manager it shows I'm using NVidia's 450.80.02 driver, which it marks as "nvidia-driver-450-server (recommended)." When I go to NVidia's website, they list this driver as their "Long Branch" or stable, tested, certified driver. But they also have the "Short Branch" option of a newer driver, 455.28. In the Blizzard forums, some guys have said they tried this new driver and it fixed their issues. Magic! After all, 455 is a higher number than 450, so it has to be better, right? I'd like to try it too and I don't want to wait until NVidia decides to make it their new default, certified, proven, stable, tested, etc., driver.

The problem is, I don't know how to get and install this driver in Mint. The NVidia web page wants me to use GeForce Experience to install it... which worked (most of the time) in Windows but isn't made for Linux users. This new driver (455.28) doesn't show up on our Driver Manager or as a listing on the Update Manager. I don't know if there's a repository that packages this for Mint or what terminal commands I would use to try to get it. Is there a way for us in Linux to try this new driver? I figure if it goofs things up I can always revert back to the one I have or if panic sets in I can Timeshift back to my current configuration.

I am hopeful that with this new driver my wife and I might be able to play the game again. Any advice you can offer is sincerely appreciated, and if you have any other tips about how to get WoW to work for us, I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks for your time!
- = M = -
Last edited by HarryMonster on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to update NVidia driver, World of Warcraft issues

Post by HarryMonster »

Addendum:

Still trying to find a way to install the new NVidia 455.28 video driver onto my system. It doesn't show up yet on the Driver Manager or Update Manager.

I went to the official NVidia site and downloaded the driver which left a file on my desktop called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-455.28.run" But I don't see a way to "run" this file. I don't know what spiffy terminal commands I would use to install the driver from this file.

Anyone have any ideas of how to go about installing this driver?

Thanks again,
- = M = -
Eric23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eric23 »

HarryMonster wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm
Addendum:

Still trying to find a way to install the new NVidia 455.28 video driver onto my system. It doesn't show up yet on the Driver Manager or Update Manager.

I went to the official NVidia site and downloaded the driver which left a file on my desktop called "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-455.28.run" But I don't see a way to "run" this file. I don't know what spiffy terminal commands I would use to install the driver from this file.

Anyone have any ideas of how to go about installing this driver?

Thanks again,
- = M = -
I don't know much about installing stuff that's not in the software manager, but I just searched for "how to install .run files on linux" and found this https://askubuntu.com/questions/18747/h ... -run-files
I also would like to try this exact driver, but my current 450 one seems to be working well enough at the moment for the games I play. Though I do wonder if some bugs might be fixed if I try 455.
I don't know if it would be wise to uninstall the current driver from the driver manager and reboot before trying to install the new one manually.
I hope the link is helpful, it seems pretty straight forward if it works.
SMG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by SMG »

There are three ways I know of to install Nvidia drivers, Driver Manager, PPA's, and from Nvidia's website. That is the recommended order to proceed. It is also recommended to select a way to install and keep with it and not switch between the options.

Remember to take the Timeshift snapshot before making any changes.

The PPA's do appear to have a version of the 455 driver. Here are instructions NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers .

However, before you install via that method, you will need to uninstall your current driver. It is my understanding that removing a driver using Driver Manager may not remove all the pieces and parts. To remove the Nvidia drivers in LM19 desktop, open a terminal and type apt purge *nvidia*; reboot After rebooting your computer you can install the driver using the PPA.

I only know of one person who tried that version of the 455 Driver and that is because he was posting here with video related issues. I do not know if the file has since been updated or how it will work on your equipment.
LM20.0 Cinnamon
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryMonster »

Hello, Eric and SMG

Thanks for your responses!

Today I decided it was long past the time to upgrade from 19.3 to 20, so I did it. In the process, of course, you have to downgrade and disable those foreign programs like Wine, which I did. When Mint 20 was up and running, I had to re-install Wine. I'm not sure if that's what fixed it, the old Uninstall/Reinstall trick, but after I did that, I could get into my World of Warcraft game.

Since it's working now I don't need to try that new experimental video driver. The "old" Recommended driver seems to be working now, so whatever issue I had, it wasn't a driver issue. I imagine NVidia will probably be coming out with a newer one in the next few weeks and I'll upgrade when the Update/Driver Managers tell me it's available.

I'm marking this topic as Solved, and again, thank you so much for your efforts and information! I deeply appreciate having these forums and knowing there are friendly helpful people out there willing to make the effort to help people like me having trouble. This community is absolutely the best! :D

Perhaps this thread will help someone else with similar issues or attempting to implement a "beta" driver.

Best regards,
- = M = -
HarryMonster
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to update NVidia driver, World of Warcraft issues [SOLVED]

Post by HarryMonster »

Addendum:

I thought I should update this thread because a few things have changed since I posted it.

For one thing, as of late November 2020, the Driver Manager lists NVIDIA Driver Version 455.38 as the recommended package. I'm using it and it works fine on my system. The video driver is not what's currently causing problems with WoW.

It's WINE.

I am using Lutris/WINE to launch the game. There are some good forum articles (and places to complain and comment) in the WINE forums. With the new version 9.0.2 of World of Warcraft, the community is using Wine-staging. The version I have today is WineHQ-Staging 5.22. There were some issues with 5.20 a few weeks back and some users reported having to revert back to 5.19. The Wine programmers are fighting a continual battle with Blizzard's frequent updates to the game and so we get updates to Wine fairly frequently. For now, 5.22 is mostly working.

When I hit "Play" in Lutris it is a hit-or-miss chance I'll get in the game. Sometimes it takes me several tries. It doesn't work every time. What happens is that as soon as you hit Play, Wine-staging will check for an update. This flashes up a small window. If all goes well, that window pops up and then vanishes and you get to the log-in screen to enter your password. But sometimes it hangs or messes up the log-in. If it does, what I do is click on the "Kill all Wine processes" menu item on the right side of the Lutris app and try again.

If you do make it through the log-in page, the Launcher should come up for you to hit the Play button and get into the game... but sometimes THAT hangs up too. If the Launcher freezes up, force-close it, kill the wine processes again, and try again. Eventually you will get through. Sometimes I get it on my first try, sometimes it takes half a dozen tries to get in.

This is a known issue to the Wine gurus and I expect that eventually we'll have a version of Wine-staging that is stable, reliable, compatible, and works every time. Until then, we're stuck with this buggy entry to the game. The good news is that once you're logged in, everything seems to be working fine... knock wood.

Good luck -- see you in the Shadowlands!
- = M = -

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”