Old MAME version needed

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yanosh
Level 1
Level 1

Old MAME version needed

Post by Yanosh »

Hi to all. I'm new to Linux and I'm still trying to figure out how thing works. Sorry for my bad english... I have about 400 mb of roms on two really old Windows MAME. I don't want to search all the roms again for the latest MAME version, so I'm trying to download the old 0.105 or 0.113 version. I can't find such old Linux versions with Google. Only Windows executables. The oldest one I found on internet was this: http://archive.debian.org/debian/pool/n ... _amd64.deb, but As I already guessed almost nothing works. Very few games are still working. Can someone help me? Linux is a complete new world to me, and often it can be really frustrating for a newbie like me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Old MAME version needed

Post by guythp »

Althought I've been using linux for several years I still prefer to use emulators with gui (I'm lazy!) so I understand your frustration.
I have retropie installed on my laptop which includes various versions of MAME (0.37b5, 0.78, 0.94, 0.139 and a few others) as well as fba and neogeo arcade emulators - it's easy to install and it covers a large range of 'expired' systems (but you will need a controller plugged in).
With regards to romsets it might be worth checking the internet archive; there are a few TOSEC sets available there for various old computers and consoles, not sure about mame though.
DraganTheMighty

Post by DraganTheMighty »

Have you tried running through wine?
I have MAME32 PLUS! 0.97 and it runs perfectly with wine.
03hdfatboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 03hdfatboy »

I'm running Mame through wine also, works great .
Have too many PC's to list em all. Used to love building them but not as much fun as it used to be.
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

I am not sure why people want to switch to an Older Version of MAME,
but for my own reasons?

MAME is one of the very few Programs I prefer being Old & Out Dated,
why? Because many things I want MAME for doesn't run particular ROMS
or Games I want Running on MAME.

I Also don't like the Newer more Modern Look & Design for MAME...
I'm much more framilure & used to the Older more Suitable MAME that i'm used to.

I Prefer a 64 Bit myself if I can avoid the 32 Bit, but ya I think Old MAME is better then New MAME.

I think my Windows Version was V.0.54 was it? I haven't Installed it on Linux yet, or even thought of trying yet.
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!

Return to “Gaming”