What's your favorite game of all time?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What's your favorite game of all time?

Post by revmacian »

ugly wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:56 pm
revmacian wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:33 pm I would have to say the King's Quest series, specifically KQ1-KQ4. These were basically puzzle-solving adventure games. They just don't make games quite like that anymore. And, yes, I know I'm showing my age :D
Those games are available with an installer using Lutris. 1 through 3 even received a remaster that looks more in the style of KQV and don't rely on a text parser. And they are available for free:

https://lutris.net/games/kings-quest-i- ... rown-agdi/
https://lutris.net/games/kings-quest-ii ... ones-agdi/
https://lutris.net/games/kings-quest-ii ... uman-agdi/
Oh wow.. thank you!
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

storm95-02 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:38 am I would say Diablo 2 is my all-time favourite game. No other hack n slash has come close, and it has ruined the genre for me!
Are you ready for D2:Resurrected?
storm95-02
Level 1
Level 1

Post by storm95-02 »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:21 pm
storm95-02 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:38 am I would say Diablo 2 is my all-time favourite game. No other hack n slash has come close, and it has ruined the genre for me!
Well I did pre-order for the first time ever but recently I refunded it.

D2 Resurrected does look great and faithful but I think I am best to leave my D2 days to the memories that I have. I also have D2 on disk just incase. Maybe once D2 Resurrected is out I might give in and buy it again :shock:
Full Time Linux Since September 2021!
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

storm95-02 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:59 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:21 pm
Well I did pre-order for the first time ever but recently I refunded it.

D2 Resurrected does look great and faithful but I think I am best to leave my D2 days to the memories that I have. I also have D2 on disk just incase. Maybe once D2 Resurrected is out I might give in and buy it again :shock:
I've gotta try it. Some of my favorites times as a parent of 3 were playing D2 together (where my youngest learned to become a professional treasure poacher! :lol: ). I actually still play now, with the ProjectD2 mod (full-screen in a VM).
Aryan Singh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aryan Singh »

my favorite game is: roblox
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

Fallout, Fallout 2, Baldurs Gate 1.
Fallout & Fallout 2 have been playing since their release 1997-98 until today. I also played all the mods. They go great under Linux with Wine. :D
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

Grim Fandango Remastered (adventure game) running in Windows because I'm lazy.
Grand Prix Legends (racing sim from 1998) runs good in wine , lots of user contributed mods available.

update: Grim Fandango now running on Mint via Steam. I simply grabbed Steam from the software manager and the game was there waiting for me. Wow, that was way easier than expected.
metamus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by metamus »

You guys have pretty good taste in games! I even saw one guy mention Thief II, which is also my favorite. It really is the pinnacle of stealth games, even to this day. Please give it a look. According to ProtonDB it works fine too, although I've yet to try for myself.
Send me a message on your IM of choice!
XMPP: - metamus@lightwitch.org
Matrix - @metamus:matrix.thisisjoes.site
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

metamus wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:34 am You guys have pretty good taste in games! I even saw one guy mention Thief II, which is also my favorite. It really is the pinnacle of stealth games, even to this day. Please give it a look. According to ProtonDB it works fine too, although I've yet to try for myself.
There's an installer for Lutris: https://lutris.net/games/thief-ii-the-metal-age/
metamus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by metamus »

ugly wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:01 am There's an installer for Lutris: https://lutris.net/games/thief-ii-the-metal-age/
Thanks! I'll try it out tonight.

Edit: For some reason I couldn't get it working through Lutris, but when I went into my terminal and typed "wine Thief2.exe" then it worked perfectly. Thanks for the tip anyway tho!
Send me a message on your IM of choice!
XMPP: - metamus@lightwitch.org
Matrix - @metamus:matrix.thisisjoes.site
Blankman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Blankman »

The orginal Unreal.

Over time games have become better and more advanced but back when Unreal came out it was the first game i played that the enemy actually moved around. Before that I had played Quake 2 where the guys just stand there and shoot without moving. In Unreal the monsters would dodge your bullets and run at you. Also the world that it showed between stages was amazing. It had a huge area outside with ponds, animals and trees you could run around in. It could easily take you an hour to explore in those areas.
Moved from windows to linux and enjoying every minute of linux. It's a learning curve but well worth it.
ozka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ozka »

Based on how many times I've wanted to clock a game over and over again, probably:

UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka. X-COM: UFO Defense)
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

Blankman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:26 am The orginal Unreal.
I have bought it on GOG, but with an LCD screen I can hardly see anything in a lot of places. I did not try messing with my monitor to get a better contrast but it's one of those games at the time that pretty much demands a CRT it seems.
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
Fmamarksman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fmamarksman »

Favorite is a hard thing, but I really enjoy Persona 5. Probably the best turn based game I've ever played. Persona 3 & 4 are really good too.
In terms of what I keep going back to, Skyrim easily holds the candle for the game that I've put more hours into than any other. I don't know how many in total, because it is split across 4 different platforms, but easily in the thousands of hours. Maybe not 10k, but I don't have any way of knowing that's not the case either. I like all the other Bethesda games that I've played too. Fallout 3 is the other stand out.
There are too many great experiences out there. And I've only just got into the world of PC gaming after not owning a real computer most of my life. It is quite the rabbit hole, but maintaining and building a Linux system is just as fun in my opinion, even if sometimes I find myself smashing my head against the wall.
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

did a lot of playing in the 90's, not so much later - had other things to waste my time on, lol!

favorites was:
Prince of Persia
Wolfenstein 3D/Doom/Quake/Duke 3D
Need 4 Speed
Delta Force

managed to get hooked on tetris & minesweeper too :mrgreen:
pugsy1992
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pugsy1992 »

Been discussing this a lot recently.

Favourite game of all time will definitely be Half Life 1 (inclu. Blue Shift, Opposing Force, CS 1.6 and community mods/stories).

Current top 5 are:
  • System Shock 2
  • Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords
  • Morrowind
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Portal 1

Honorable mentions would be Subnautica, Mass Effect 2, Unreal Tournament, and Max Payne.
bobsmith432
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bobsmith432 »

Hard to say, comes down to either Half-Life 2, GTA 5, POSTAL 2, or Team Fortress 2.
blainewalls
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blainewalls »

definitely Transformice. its funny being a mouse. besides, i have a lot of memories in TFM. ive been playing since 2013
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

'Zork' and trying to get the key off the ribbon around the Unicorn's neck . . .
Mind you, that was on an Epson QX-10 running cp/m in the early 80s :-)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Venus Flytrap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Venus Flytrap »

Pong.
Because it was the first game console I owned. Simple but fun.
Although I played Tic-Tac-Toe on a mainframe computer in 1970. That program loaded up on punched tape.
Yes, I'm old.
System: Mint Cinnamon 21.1. CPU: Intel E7600. RAM: 4GB. Video: ATI HD 4830. SSD: Kingston KC600 512GB (boot-drive) & Kingston A400, 480GB (backup). Display: ASUS VA24DQ 23.8"

Return to “Gaming”