What was your first computer game ever?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What was your first computer game ever?

Post by Drugwash »

That's not a game, it's a frustration gauge. :roll:
So, first you need to go to Roster and create at least one Pilot/player.
Then in Assign Pilots you need to click those tiny up/down arrows to the right of bottom text field in one of the forms to select a player you just created, also try and click to move the blue X next to Solo or the "avatar" or whatever (that's to select single player, multiplayer, play against computer etc).
Then click Takeoff times to start game.
Good luck finding what keys to press in order to actually play. I couldn't so to hell with it. :)
Screenshot from 2021-02-17 21-59-05 edit.png
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Drugwash
Thanks.
Now I can't take off. :mrgreen:
I couldn't so to hell with it.
I agree. The game doesn't have to feel like work that cannot be done.
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
it-place
Level 3
Level 3

Post by it-place »

Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

TheyLive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:20 pm I agree. The game doesn't have to feel like work that cannot be done.
Some may say I'm exaggerating but I believe this is the very nature of Linux - The Tom Sawyer way: why do it in a simple way if you can do it in a complicated way? (loose translation of a faint memory of a book quote)

Hopefully I may uninstall the POS now that I found what was requested. :)
exiledrose

Post by exiledrose »

Truthfully I would have to say kid games like freddy fish, pajama sam, spy fox, Though for an actual computer game I would have to say runescape in all honesty.
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RickyRaccoon »

The furthest back I can remember off the top of my head is Wumpus.

https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasic ... p?page=178

Which I definitely remember I adapted for my Timex/Sinclair 2068, with sound effects. Although... I might have programmed it into my Sinclair ZX-81, before that. I still have the 2068, but mightily wish I still had my ZX-80 & '81....
WiltshireJon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WiltshireJon »

Can't remember exactly, but it would have been a game typed in BASIC into a Sinclair ZX81...with a 16K RAM pack, I'll have you know:-)... From a magazine. It might have been the one where you could slash a gorilla with your sword, or chop it with an axe or...you get the idea. The first I remember purchasing was a flight simulator programme, loaded (if you were lucky and had a long time to live) from cassette tape. You needed a good imagination as the airport was a white line against the black background, and the aircraft was a very simple white sprite. There was a mountain range (3000 feet high) that looked like a bent runway but was bad news if you tried to land on it. Other than that you could "fly" your few pixels (large ones) around the screen and hope it impressed your girl. Generally it didn't. When? Maybe 1982-3-ish, emphasis on the -ish.

EDIT a beer to those who know what cassette tape is, but you have to buy your own as we're in lockdown.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

WiltshireJon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:56 pm a beer to those who know what cassette tape is
Imagine a guy - me - that was so hellbent on getting his Z80 clone to work that took out the tape from the cassette (which contained the core BASIC interpreter!!!) and loaded it into a reel-to-reel tape recorder borrrowed from the upstairs neighbor. Yep, living in eastern Europe was so much "fun" back then. :)
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RickyRaccoon »

WiltshireJon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:56 pm The first I remember purchasing was a flight simulator programme, loaded (if you were lucky and had a long time to live) from cassette tape.
First bought one- F... 16? 15? Jet fighter simulator for the Timex/Sinclair 2068. On......... cassette tape...? I have one cartridge but it's a budgeting app. I think the game was on cassette.
WiltshireJon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:56 pm typed in BASIC into a Sinclair ZX81...with a 16K RAM pack, I'll have you know:-)
Ha! I bought my ZX-81 in kit form & also sprang for the RAM pack. Livin' in the tall cotton, I don't CARE about your Trash-80 lookit my little ZX-81!

And now the obligatory tune:

Hey Hey 16K- MJ Hibbett & the Validators
https://youtu.be/-d8UfQn3BEg
Drugwash wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:21 pm Imagine a guy - me - that was so hellbent on getting his Z80 clone to work that took out the tape from the cassette (which contained the core BASIC interpreter!!!) and loaded it into a reel-to-reel tape recorder borrrowed from the upstairs neighbor. Yep, living in eastern Europe was so much "fun" back then. :)
Open reel- that's pretty hardcore...
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

RickyRaccoon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 pm Open reel- that's pretty hardcore...
Damn risky too - a slight bend in the tape and good-bye cruel world - without interpreter the hardware would've been worth zilch. Luckily nothing bad happened, and soonish after that I built a proper cassette recorder from various pieces. All it needed was a case. :lol: Found one eventually, bought new. Still got the thing somewhere within the pile of electronic garbage gathered in a quarter century of fixing all kinds of contraptions. Ah, good ol' days! :)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Vaguely relevant, back when I was at uni (this was early '70's), a fellow student blew the whole of one term's grant on a ferrograph reel to reel tape deck. Lived on baked beans.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

What was your first computer game?

Post by kenetics »

Your first game on a real computer (not a game machine).

Mine was Scott Adams' text adventure game, Pirate Adventure. Played on a TRS-80 back about 1979. Took me a long time to figure out how to get to treasure island from the London flat. (Just "say yoho".)

I think I played all the early Scott Adams games. They are still available on line for free.
Last edited by kenetics on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: What was your first computer game?

Post by JoeFootball »

Colossal Cave Adventure (or some clone) on a TRS-80 Model I in the very early 80s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

Horace Goes Skiing

And I'm astonished to learn that nearly 40 years later it's available on Steam! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_(v ... oes_Skiing
francisbaud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francisbaud »

It's either Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego, at my dad's work, or Age of Empires, at my friend's house. I remember it smelled cigaret in his basement which I liked.
vague_statement

Post by vague_statement »

Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun. My parents didn't believe in computer games, so I had to save for ages to buy it myself. Still have the massive printed manual.
entrance416
Level 1
Level 1

Post by entrance416 »

Duke Nukem
If all else fails, read instructions.
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RickyRaccoon »

francisbaud wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm It's either Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego, at my dad's work, or Age of Empires, at my friend's house. I remember it smelled cigaret in his basement which I liked.
That reminds me that around 1974 at my dad's work I played.. I think an artillery game.... you input the charge and angle and try to hit the target... on what I believe to have been a Wang 2200 minicomputer. Ah, and here's mention of it, I was right, artillery! I remember it was connected to a disc platter system of some sort in a large separate cabinet- but if I'm not mistaken he loaded the game up for me using the built-in cassette. I'm guessing it came with the machine. So... my first computer game was played on a machine that was purchased for equal to probably about fifty grand in today's funny money.

I had completely forgotten about that. His work was in the path lab business- as an aside, I also frequently got to play with radioactive isotopes and bench Geiger counters and timers that used Nixie tubes for the display. I am fairly easily amused... :roll:
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

It was a Space Invaders type game that was specifically written for my first computer, a Sanyo MBC 550.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Dragon Trek for the Dragon 32... 1983?

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/dragon-trek-2/

Return to “Gaming”