What was your first computer game ever?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What was your first computer game ever?

Post by JerryF »

Pong
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

JerryF wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:33 amPong
+1
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Pong here as well if consoles apply.

A mainframe we connected to in computer class in high school had Star Trek. We were told it was costing thousands of dollars every time we played it! :oops:

On the systems we had at our desks (TI-99/4A? These were not connected to the mainframe) the first game was a clone of Space Invaders. Still enjoy that one from time to time.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I had Pong too, long before I owned a computer, so cannot count it as a "computer game".
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

My first console game was Tetris for the original Gameboy. I still have both complete with a mains charger and screen magnifier light accessory, boxes and instructions, they are worth a decent amount of money these days. I got it in my teens and bought it with wages from my weekend job in a garden centre so it didn't get bashed about.

If you have any old computers or consoles like that in very good working condition don't chuck them out. Hang onto them as they are becoming antiques of the future. They already sell well because people our age want to revisit their youth.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

antikythera wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:10 am If you have any old computers or consoles like that in very good working condition don't chuck them out. Hang onto them as they are becoming antiques of the future. They already sell well because people our age want to revisit their youth.
And then there's emulators, for better or for worse. Sparked (again) by this very topic, my interest in old Z80 games already became an obsession. Found a handful of sites which provide game ROMs, and a decent enough emulator (fuse) to run those games. Also dug through paper archives and found lots of pages with "gibberish" scribbled all over them - that'd be assembler code from my game cracking days. Had no printer back then so all code was copied by hand from the screen. Also found a few game maps drawn by hand; still miss the maps for Saboteur 1 (Durell Software) and Robin of the wood (Odin Software), lent them many years ago to my late friend Tony - may he and his wife rest in peace - and never got them back.

However I still have my old Spectrum clone called HC90 somewhere under a pile of junk, but it misses the power source unit; my ex-girlfriend took it in '96 when we split and gave it back many years later but the PSU had already been misplaced by then. Could be replaced with a standard PC PSU, it requires either +5V, +12V or both - can't remember exactly. Dunno if it will still work though, capacitors may have dried out after all these years.

Revisiting our youth... oh man, this is a tough topic, more so in these days. We better stick with games only.
AwardedNinja

Post by AwardedNinja »

MIB4u wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 pm Mine must've been ... hm ...
The first computer I remember had "Jill of the Jungle" installed and I just was too fidgety to play it right ...
A few years ago I found the disk with all three games and had it played through in ... 3hrs?
Honestly I don't remember. I think it was some racing car game that I played on Windows Vista. The good times.
Xolt

Post by Xolt »

ToonLand on my old Packard Bell from '95 (814CD model, apparently).
desperados
Level 4
Level 4

Post by desperados »

Pong, on TV
Mario Bros, on Atari, I guess
on Commodore, I don't remember
on pc, probably SimCity
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpedretti »

"Z Steal Soldiers" from The Bitmap Brothers Studio.

Play on Zenith Z-Station 5500E - Win98 SE - Pentium II MMX400 - 256MB Ram - 40GD HDD - PNY Geforce 2 MX400
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Noice thread. I think it was Solitaire on a Windows 3.1 computer in a shopping center. Yep. You'd think I'm older than I am, but I was lucky enough to experience that as a kid. :)
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
ugurcansayan
Level 1
Level 1
Location: %PERMSN_MISSING% "To resolve this issue, go to Start > Settings > Piracy"

Post by ugurcansayan »

My first ever computer game would be some 3D racing game. Unfortunately I cannot remember what its called. What I remember from that game is there was a course around a lake with farms and a barn, and I could drive the car into the lake and driver would drown with some sleeping sound effects :D
Newbie of Cinnamon on Linux Mint 20.1
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ugurcansayan wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:17 am driver would drown with some sleeping sound effects :D
Aaaaaah, I do enjoy a good drowning when I go to bed at night. :roll:
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Tennis, and the computer was self made TV. My aunt´s husband had made the game.
tennis.jpeg
tennis.jpeg (3.15 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
ugurcansayan
Level 1
Level 1
Location: %PERMSN_MISSING% "To resolve this issue, go to Start > Settings > Piracy"

Post by ugurcansayan »

Termy wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:08 pm
ugurcansayan wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:17 am driver would drown with some sleeping sound effects :D
Aaaaaah, I do enjoy a good drowning when I go to bed at night. :roll:
:mrgreen:
I guess it was a "sleeping with the fish" reference :shock:
Newbie of Cinnamon on Linux Mint 20.1
tuxoneseven

Post by tuxoneseven »

Something with EGA colors: orange, purple and green in the year 1993. It was some dos game, but don't remember which. How times have changed :lol:
pilotbob42
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pilotbob42 »

MrEen wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:20 pmA mainframe we connected to in computer class in high school had Star Trek. We were told it was costing thousands of dollars every time we played it! :oops:
Had to hand enter the code for Star Trek from 101 BASIC Computer Games into my TRS-80 Model 1. It didn't cost me thousand of dollars per game. :wink:
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Sopwith
http://www.wingkong.net/sopwith2b/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(video_game)

There is similar Triplane Classic game in Linux Mint but I do not know how to start game.
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

TheyLive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 am I do not know how to start game.
Run triplane command, such as on a terminal.
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Termy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:29 am
TheyLive wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 am I do not know how to start game.
Run triplane command, such as on a terminal.
I can start application but can not start game. (Can not select "ASSIGN PLAYERS" >>> No assigned pilots)
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum

Return to “Gaming”