What was your first computer game ever?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MIB4u

What was your first computer game ever?

Post by MIB4u »

Mine must've been ... hm ...
The first computer I remember had "Jill of the Jungle" installed and I just was too fidgety to play it right ...
A few years ago I found the disk with all three games and had it played through in ... 3hrs?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What was your first computer game ever?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Well, if you define "computer" loosely enough, it would have been Pong played from a controller connected to a TV. Later, when we got a Commodore C64c, we had a bunch of computer games but the two I remember are Anna's Gram and Hassle Castle (the kids especially loved Hassle Castle). When I first got an XP computer, the first (and only) game was XP Pinball.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The two earliest computer games I can remember playing were Puzzle and Amazing.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's between Moon Buggy or Bomber which I had to program myself from the AMSTRAD CPC 6128 user manual. If you call typing in text verbatim from a user manual coding then Bomber was my first foray into it.

Moon Buggy came with it on a Diskette so all I had to do was run it. The first I bought if I recall correctly was Dizzy by Codemasters.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Some black and white, ASCII-ish rendition of Tetris.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

If console games qualify, it would have to be the collections that came with the Atari 2600.

I do not recall the first game I played on my first computer (XT-clone, circa 1984), but I think the first one I purchased was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and I never could get past the Babel Fish. I was equally successful and frustrated with Bureaucracy. :evil:

Other early DOS games I purchased were SimCity, Command HQ, Chessmaster 2000and Their Finest Hour: Battle of Britain.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

The first computer game that I actually bought for myself was King's Quest for PC back in the mid 1980's.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Welcome »

For me, it was "Colossal Cave Adventure" also known as Adventure.
YOU ARE STANDING AT THE END OF A ROAD BEFORE A SMALL BRICK BUILDING.
AROUND YOU IS A FOREST. A SMALL STREAM FLOWS OUT OF THE BUILDING AND
DOWN A GULLY.
xyzzy y2 plugh!
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Not really sure, but the first game I remember playing was Solitaire on Windows 3.11, then not long after that I bought a Golf game of some sort on CD-ROM that ran on DOS. Still have the golf CD somewhere...guess I'll have to fire up the old Windows ME machine if I want to play that game again. Oh, and there is a really nice pinball game on that Windows ME machine.
AdamFirst
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AdamFirst »

I can't remember the specific titles, but the first computer game I bought was a text based adventure. The first I played was probably "Lunar Landing" or "Hamurabi"
kernalzero

Post by kernalzero »

PC game would have been Secret Weapons of the Luft Waffe https://lucasfilm.fandom.com/wiki/Secr ... _Luftwaffe. Fun game but with the old Tandy computer we had with windows 3.11 and 4mb of ram I had to use a boot disk to bypass the OS to load the game. Later came Doom and Then Heretic later.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

Question was "first computer game ever". Not TV, not console, not anything else. So I can safely say it was a sort of demo game whose name escapes me - something with '-saurus' I think - that came on the same cassette tape with the BASIC interpretor for a 100% Romanian version of a ZX Spectrum called CIP 01. Yep, that particular model required that the interpretor be loaded from tape at each and every power up. The game consisted in "building" a fantasy dinosaur-like animal from multiple parts - there were several size and shape choices for body, head, neck, feet, tail - and then watching it go through different environments and seasons, finding food, escaping from predators etc. Purpose was to build a "chimera" that would survive through all stages.

I think the first game I cracked to obtain infinite lives was Dizzy. Or maybe Little Puff. Or... can't remember, it was more than 25 years ago. But 8bit assembler was fun. Hm, I might go back to that. People still build Z80 games in this day and age, I see...
Last edited by Drugwash on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MIB4u wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:57 pm Mine must've been ... hm ...
The first computer I remember had "Jill of the Jungle" installed and I just was too fidgety to play it right ...
A few years ago I found the disk with all three games and had it played through in ... 3hrs?
I'm 78 y/o now, and yet to play my first computer game.
IMO, they are a huge waste of time.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:12 pm IMO, they are a huge waste of time.
The same could be said for any sport or leisure activity though, everyone's entitled to spend their time how they want :D
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I'm not sure if it was on the color computer 1 or 2 (coco1 or 2) but the game was Dungeons of Daggorath.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

adventure on a VAX 11/780.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
ChrisGeller

Post by ChrisGeller »

Dangerous dave
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

snake
and was played in an DosBox .. PC based machine.
8)

my previous Z80 based computer .. didn't actually have any Games, as such.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
tuxoneseven

Post by tuxoneseven »

DOS game on EGA screen. Prince of Persia I think, but I don remember so well :lol:
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

"Colossal Cave Adventure" (or some clone variant) on a TRS-80 Model I.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Cave_Adventure

Return to “Gaming”