[Solved] Age of Empires II - Music - Userpatch

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
no_se

[Solved] Age of Empires II - Music - Userpatch

Post by no_se »

hello, I installed on Linux Mint 20 XFCE Age of Empires II The Age of Kings and The Conquerors from CD via Lutris. After that I also installed the 1.0c patch and the Userpatch 1.5. Everything works flawlessly.
The only problem I have is that it crashes when I run a game, when I use the function of the Userpatch that creates an .m3u-Playlist file which is directing to your desired ingame backround music. Without the .m3u-file or when the .m3u file directs to a non existing file it works as said flawlessly, but with it, it crashes.

I tried different file formats (mp3, wav, ogg) and different locations, nothing worked.

Is it possible that I need an windows audioplayer in that wine instance or has anybody an idea for a solution?

Edit: By the way, I did the same half a year ago on Debian 10 with background music working, but I don't remember how I did it. So I guess it has also to work on Linux Mint...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
no_se

Re: Age of Empires II - Music - Userpatch

Post by no_se »

Ok, I really don't know what I did as it worked half a year ago on Debian... I just tried it on Debian again and it didn't work as well.
But I could solve at least one problem back on Linux Mint by installing the DirectShow runtime dll and the open music in format codecs via Winetricks in the wine environment of my Age of Empires II install. Because when I now use the background music function of the Userpatch 1.5 the game doesn't crash anymore. But I hear no sound and changing the increasing the volume (ingame and xfce) didn't change anything. But their was at least a sound when I changed to the next song of the playlist, and when it was no mp3 or wave the game still went on flawlessly (without background music).

I also installed the codecs for .wav and .mp3 but that had just an effect on the icons of the files, as they now have the icons like in the following figure. I also installed Windows Media Player 9 (wmp9) via Winetricks which also didn't took any effect.
Screenshot_2020-12-25_19-44-20.png
I think when no one has any hint or idea, I will put AOE II in window mode and will start the music manually in a light music player a second before starting a game... luckily there is a open source clone of the AOE II engine in developement... which should end this problem in hopefully the next year(s).
no_se

Re: Age of Empires II - Music - Userpatch

Post by no_se »

Ok it works now flawlessly (with .ogg don't know if other musicfile formats work as well). I don't know if it works due to the update of Linux Mint or due to the update of wine. I guess it's wine. The downside is that directplay doesn't work anymore. Thus, no multiplayer games.
So it seems more of a wine issue than a Linux Mint issue. Which means I'm probably in the wrong forum :roll:

Return to “Gaming”