<SOLVED>Running Steam under PlayonLinux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thornton_KenB
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Running Steam under PlayonLinux

Post by Thornton_KenB »

Hi all,
After some time, I read some of the threads that talk about running Windows based games in Linux very closely and understand that I needed to create a "wine" bottle for "Steam" and run those programs within that created "Steam" wine bottle.

Having finally gotten that through the grey matter called my human computer (brain), I created a bottle using PlayonLinux (POL), but I get no graphics at all when I execute the Steam app under POL. Any suggestions on what the heck is going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Running Steam under PlayonLinux

Post by ajgringo619 »

Steam uses its own version of Wine, called Proton. There's no need for PlayonLinux.
Thornton_KenB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thornton_KenB »

ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:16 pm Steam uses its own version of Wine, called Proton. There's no need for PlayonLinux.
Thanks but I attempted to run the Windows app using Proton but it never ran. :(
Is that just an indicator that this game wont; run via Proton.... everything doesn't work in that environment, right??
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Thornton_KenB wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:33 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:16 pm Steam uses its own version of Wine, called Proton. There's no need for PlayonLinux.
Thanks but I attempted to run the Windows app using Proton but it never ran. :(
Is that just an indicator that this game wont; run via Proton.... everything doesn't work in that environment, right??
You might have to try different versions of Proton. Before I switched back to a dual-boot system, I ran Worms Armageddon via Steam. I had no luck running any version of Proton above 3.6, so I eventually just left it alone.

This is the best place to get tips on Proton: https://www.protondb.com/
exiledangel420

Post by exiledangel420 »

Some games have certain issues depending a lot different things, such as hardware used, graphic driver installed correctly, proton versions, whether the correct windows files are being installed, etc.
Had a game that wouldn't launch from steam but did from steam created shortcut because it needed to install special nvidia files. The game is called sacred gold 2.
Best advice I can give you is ask steam users on steam forums of that game how to get it running correctly make sure you inform them of the specific graphic card and your operating system your using for your computer, You can also tell us the name of the game and maybe we can help too. I have gotten every game on my steam account to work except one and it is still in the beta phase. And I have 40+ games on my steam account. Note: you will run into issue with games that require some secondary service such as EA games, which are run through a service called Orion I believe. And that is because proton is specifically designed to launch games from steam. So if it requires secondary service my advice is to launch the game from the secondary service with playonlinux or lutris.
Thornton_KenB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thornton_KenB »

Will try the Banished group, thanks for the input.

Editing above....... Went to the Banished Community in Steam and found the answer:
If you are operating Banished under Steam, go to your download area. Locate your version of Banished. Right click on the app and go to Properties. In the dialog box, the pop up goes to the General section look for "Launch Options". In that box paste the following command.... PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xaudio2_7=n,b" %command%

After that, close the properties window and launch Banished. In my case I had a problem with my graphics. The graphics were flashing, I changed the graphics resolution until the flashing stopped.

After starting the program, click the "Options" buttons and change the "Resolution" until the flashing stopped.

Return to “Gaming”