What games are you playing / are you looking forward to?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What are we playing nowadays?

Post by trytip »

a few Artificial Intelligence .wine algorithm you can download and amuse yourself with. nothing special just being bored you can try. files are clean.
Attachments
Tsp.exe.zip
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Flock.exe.zip
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Ant.exe.zip
(45.55 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I'm utterly hooked on Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, lately. I've completed 1 and 2, now making my way through 3. What a journey!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:51 am Can anyone get the Total War series of games to play in Linux?
Feral Interactive is one of the big Linux developers that makes ports for Linux and Mac. Total War games should run.
https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/linux-games
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

WriteF wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:53 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:51 am Can anyone get the Total War series of games to play in Linux?
Feral Interactive is one of the big Linux developers that makes ports for Linux and Mac. Total War games should run.
https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/linux-games
Thanks!
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I've been playing Rise Of The Triad. I just ran the installer with wine and bang, bang, boom, boom. :D
I also recovered my Steam account. I forgot how challenging Portal was. My Celeron laptop only copes with 640x480 but hey, reminds of the 486 days.
Cant wait to get the new to me computer up and running and try some new games. Just saving up for the new GPU.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

kelevra wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:37 am I've been playing Rise Of The Triad. I just ran the installer with wine and bang, bang, boom, boom. :D
I also recovered my Steam account. I forgot how challenging Portal was. My Celeron laptop only copes with 640x480 but hey, reminds of the 486 days.
Cant wait to get the new to me computer up and running and try some new games. Just saving up for the new GPU.
Why on the Celeron? You'll get slightly better gaming performance from the Athlon integrated graphics
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Beerislife
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Beerislife »

I only fly (the Linux version of) X-Plane 11...

I didn't fly today, I was wrestling with a PC that kept shutting down...
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

antikythera wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:14 am
kelevra wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:37 am I've been playing Rise Of The Triad. I just ran the installer with wine and bang, bang, boom, boom. :D
Why on the Celeron? You'll get slightly better gaming performance from the Athlon integrated graphics
My A4 runs really hot in the SFF HP when I try to game. I've even upgraded the thermal paste and it still creeps up to the high 80s.

I was just doing the nostalgia thing with my old steam purchases.
Last edited by kelevra on Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mint 21 Cinnamon

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lately I've been reliving the glory days and playing the h*** out of Diablo I. Still my favorite from the series.

I've been playing it on my M1 MBA. Wish I could play it in Linux.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What games are you playing / are you looking forward to?

Post by kelevra »

I've been digging through my games that have been in storage for ~10 years.
I have installed and am playing Crysis and Hitman 2. I am just using Wine 7.0 and everything seems to work. Any games that I haven't been able to run in Windows 10, won't run under Wine either. I have a container full of old games that I am going to play with (pun intended).

Mint 21 Cinnamon

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

DN3D mods..... there are some real great one's and a lot of real bad one's.
Sheabert33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sheabert33 »

Infidelus wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:52 pm Currently playing a mix of Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars 2, Lost Ark (can only play via GeForce Now as I refuse to dual boot just for a game) and trying to work out what the heck I'm doing in Dune: Spice Wars.

I've also been looking at a project on GitHub called TrinityCore which I find quite interesting and which has allowed me to make my own personal private WoW server (using completely open-source code with added bots from another GitHub project (Trickerer) to enable me to solo some dungeons too) so playing a little bit of solo Wrath of the Lich King on there as that was definitely my favourite expansion. I know Blizzard are also remastering WotLK at the moment so may take a look at that when it's finished, though I'm not keen on resubbing to WoW again as it's just a massive time-sink.
I'm also playing GW2. Out of curiosity, what kind of fps are you getting? I can't really get much higher than 40 fps, and that's on low settings. I load the launcher through steam as a 3rd party game and use GE-Proton. Are you able to get anything better than that?
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

I'm a console gamer (Xbox One X) and have been doing a modded Fallout 4 run with a good guy character. I can't play vanilla anymore and I should really try it on my PC because the mod cap is 2GB on console. Also been playing WWF No Mercy using an emulator in Windows 10, which works well because my Xbox controller plugs right in and works great. I also play Sims 3 and 4 in Windows.

I'm looking forward to "Calisto Protocol", the "Dead Space" remake (sure hope it's as good as the original), RE8:Village (haven't played it yet, waiting for the 3rd person version) and Starfield.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

I don't honestly take a lot of notice of my FPS but haven't noticed any stuttering when I'm playing. Just logging in now to look, I'm getting a solid 60fps (with the limiter on), but that's just standing still at a travel point.

If I turn the FPS limiter off, I get well over 100 FPS:

Obviously your hardware will have a sizeable effect so here's mine for reference:

Code: Select all

Kernel: 5.15
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16GB
Graphics: GeForce RTX 2070
GW2 is installed via Lutris in my case and is currently using lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try some of these webgl if you have nothing to do: https://thorium.rocks/demos
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Been playing Tiny Tina's Wonderlands since release. Great game play as (almost) always in a Borderlands games. Some of the side stories are a bit off, but fun nevertheless.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

Total War Warhammer 3 had the "Immortal Empires" update recently, effectively combining the content from all three games into one massive thunderdome of a campaign. I'm able to play it via Steam Proton and even multiplayer works fine, playing with friends on Windows.

Other than that I'm looking forward to GoW Ragnarok and Hogwarts Legacy (Though they're on PS5, not PC).
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

I finally bit the bullet and bought a VR headset (Meta Quest 2) just over a month ago to beat the price rise. Really rather enjoying it so far, though finding the clarity sweet spot is difficult, especially if you don't have 20/20 vision. I did buy some prescription inserts which have helped a little, though my prescription it's too strong anyway so I was playing without the inserts for the best part of a month.

I've only played a few games so far:

Beat Saber (it was free :)). It's good fun until you've run out of the default sound tracks and have to decide whether you're going to pay, what seems a fairly extortionate price, for some add-on music. I have so far chosen not to.
Walkabout Mini Golf - I've only played by myself so far but it's still really good. Love the Labyrinth course, which was only an extra £2.25 IIRC.
Vader Immortal - The storyline quest is absolutely amazing, though very short for the price. Standing toe to toe with Darth Vader is something, not to mention fighting the Rancor; there was a definite brown trouser moment at that stage! :P The light sabre dojo is mildly entertaining, but gets very repetitive very quickly.
Eleven Table Tennis - The physics are really good and it's almost like you've got a table tennis table in your room. Just don't try to lean on it ;). The only improvement I'd like to see on it is more choice of music to play in the background without having to stream something else from your browser/elsewhere.

I've tried getting some Steam games to work, but with little success so far. I got ALVR working enough that I could connect to Steam wirelessly, but that's about it so far (it is apparently a work-in-progress on the Linux side).
Last edited by Infidelus on Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm playing the original Assassin's Creed game again, it's 15 years old but still a very enjoyable game. It was revolutionary back then and way ahead of it's time (no pun intended).
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Right now I am playing the original Half Life, I've been going through my old game collection. It runs so much better on Mint than Windows 10. The default Open GL driver works fantastic.
I'm looking forward to getting BeamNG working as well. I just need some tweaking, I think, as they're not providing any customer support for Linux installs. I'm stuck playing on Billy's OS, for now.

Mint 21 Cinnamon

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Return to “Gaming”