Need Help with Gamepad

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

Need Help with Gamepad

Post by kh2b1 »

Are there any programs that will allow me to modify how my gamepad functions? Something that will allow me to increase/decrease the deadzone? And something that will allow me to use the gamepad in conjunction with the keyboard? I'm looking for something similar to the Windows program JoyToKey.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Need Help with Gamepad

Post by Termy »

I just did a quick search in the repositories, and found this:

qjoypad - Program for mapping gamepad/joystick events to mouse/keyboard event
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
kh2b1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kh2b1 »

Thanks. I guess I didn't use the right key words when searching in the repository. In fact, when I entered qjoypad, nothing came up. I ended up over at Github, looked at the installation instructions, got overwhelmed and gave up. Then I looked over on Youtube to see if qjoypad was even what I want/need. I saw that it should be in the repository so I searched again under qjoy and it came up. Weird.

It seems to be what I want. It lets me adjust the deadzone, which is great. I still have trouble hitting the target in the game but I think this will help some. Either my hand-eye coordination is slow or these other gamers are super good (like an 8 year old genius in college). It's so deflating to play everyday and never get any better.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Glad you got somewhere with it. I'm guessing you used a graphical software listing program; those usually omit a great many packages, I'm guessing because they're lesser-known or not as 'pretty' to display. This is one of the many reasons I prefer to use the terminal for package management. I'm guessing the GUI changed the name for some weird reason. :roll: Either that or the name genuinely changed in whichever version you're using.

For future reference, take note of this command:

Code: Select all

apt-cache search 'joypad'
That will search the database for known packages matching the query ('joypad') provided. So, you can use anything within those quotes.

To break it down, apt-cache is a program, to which the arguments search and 'joypad' are handed. Arguments, at least in this context, and to over-simplify, are space-delimited (separated by spaces) commands given to a program/command. The argument search tells apt-cache(8) to search for package(s), which is where 'joypad' comes in, because it tells apt-cache(8) for what the user wants to search.

The use of the apostrophes (AKA: single-quotes) are to allow spaces and special characters in your search, otherwise they would be interpreted in unwanted ways.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Gaming”