Do I need to reinstall all of my steam games? [Solved]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zalinto

Do I need to reinstall all of my steam games? [Solved]

Post by Zalinto »

I just made the switch from windows to mint 20 xfce and was wondering if the steam games on window's hhd work well with linux or if its better to just redownload everything. Also, is there any way to change the download path in mint from my ssd to hhd? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Do I need to reinstall all of my steam games?

Post by ugly »

Windows drives are formatted using NTFS. While you might have some success if you try to use Steam games installed on an NTFS drive, you will likely run into issues eventually.

The best option to avoid issues, is to install your Steam games on a Linux partition (ext4).

If you copy the data from the Steam games you have installed on your Windows hard drive to the location where you install games on your Linux drive, you might be able to avoid re-downloading. Steam usually checks for existing files and redownloads what is needed. But it can be inconsistent (even for games that use the Windows install files through Proton).

To change the download path for Steam in Linux is the same way you do it in Windows:

Open Steam, go to Settings and then 'Downloads'. Click on 'Steam Library Folders'. Then you can add a folder wherever you would like. You can right click on the different library locations to select a default library so new games will install to the location by default.
Zalinto

Post by Zalinto »

Thanks. now all i need to do is to find a way to get access to my hhd since it's stuck in read-only.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

That's a problem caused by Windows 'fast boot' option. It makes Windows shut down in a way that doesn't properly close the drive in order to allow Windows to boot faster. This causes a dirty bit to be set on the drive, which makes it inaccessible.

What you need to do is boot Windows and turn off the fast boot feature. Then when you shut down Windows, the drive will be properly shut down.
Zalinto

Post by Zalinto »

thanks legend
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

It may be useful if you will want have games on the second partition.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=340774

I'm not sure, you can check.
Some games already installed should also work on Linux.
Before starting the game, Steam should download some updates / patch for Linux.

Edited.
ugly wrote:... The best option to avoid issues, is to install your Steam games on a Linux partition (ext4). ...
Very good advice.
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

I have a lot of old games like Fallout /1987/ and Fallout 2 /1988/ installed on the ntfs partition and they run fine on Linux if Wine is installed without reinstalling them on Linux.
Zalinto wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:15 pm Thanks. now all i need to do is to find a way to get access to my hhd since it's stuck in read-only.
If you use win7 start cmd as admin and write

Code: Select all

powercfg -h off
, next Enter.
If use win8-10 start cmd as admin and write

Code: Select all

powercfg /h off
, next Enter.
This is disable hibernation forever and you will have full access to files from Linux.
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...

Return to “Gaming”