SOLVED Pychess? Chess GUI for analyzing games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tippecanoe8
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Pychess? Chess GUI for analyzing games

Post by tippecanoe8 »

I have done a bit of searching, and have yet to find what I am looking for.

I have a lot of games, mine and by masters that I would like to analyze via a chess engine.

I have not been able to figure out how to get Pychess to import a game in PGN, then step through it turn by turn, so I can see how the engine analyzes that.

I have several engines on my machine already. I tried CuteChess and LucasChess, as well as PyChess but none of them seem to do what I am looking for.

Also, i'd ideally like to be able to input the games manually, with the names of the real players.

I am sure this is possible, I just have yet to figure it out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Pychess? Chess GUI for analyzing games

Post by LanceM »

I play Gnome-Chess. I have went online and found sites that allow input of pieces. I used to be pretty good at chess in high school, but at 70 years old, I'm no good any more. Openings are so important. I've beat it on medium level about 3 times out of maybe 80 games.
tippecanoe8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tippecanoe8 »

Well, I plan to play real people. going over some of my games from the mid 70's is inspiring me. I was quite aggressive :)
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Good for you. Have fun!
Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff13 »

Hi Folks;

I admit to not having installed it on my mint 19.3 machine, but I love Scid vs PC for chess on my windows boxes. It imports FEN's and PGN's easily. Adding Stockfish as an engine is easy also. This is a link to installing Scid from this site.

viewtopic.php?f=225&t=273724
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

This is written by chess coach Sam Copeland, who is also a long time Linux user!
https://www.chess.com/blog/SamCopeland/ ... -for-chess

He streams live on Twitch often: https://www.twitch.tv/samcopeland

You can also use many online chess sites that have analysis tools, like Lichess (which is also free and open source):
https://lichess.org/analysis
tippecanoe8
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Pychess? Chess GUI for analyzing games

Post by tippecanoe8 »

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the solution I found:

I use xboard to reply my games from the written score.

Then I save them as PGN. I name them this way " a v b, Linux Mint Open, June 1, 2020" like that.

I then use ChessX to analyze the game. I find the analysis to easier to understand, and I did load the Stockfish Engine.

Return to “Gaming”