Mint Cinnamon Imput Lag in Games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Javirulo
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Cinnamon Imput Lag in Games

Post by Javirulo »

Hello, so I've installed Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 4.8.6 as my main OS, but when I try to play games like CS:GO and Minecraft, there's an imput lag when I click that's really annoying and it makes it difficult to be precise specially in competitive games like CS:GO.

Does anybody else have this problem too? Anyone knows why is this happening?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
captaincoen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Cinnamon Imput Lag in Games

Post by captaincoen »

We might have the same issue currently. I have attempted to play Minecraft (which ran fine on Ubuntu on the same hardware), but it ran very poorly on Mint. What are your system specs? That might help illuminate some of the issue. It would also be wise to check what driver your graphics card is being used with.

When trying to play Kingdom Come: Deliverance on Steam Cryengine shot me an error message "Unsupported Graphics Card detected. A GPU with support for D3D FeatureLevel 11.0 is required". Even running something Linux native like 7 Days to Die or Minecraft isn't much better, since it could have a frame rate you can count on your hands most of the time. It seems like that could be indicative of whatever the problem may be. I've done a little bit of hunting for answers, but to no avail. If I do find a solution, I'll alert you of this. Try to do some troubleshooting and perhaps post any sort of error codes and messages you might encounter.
Javirulo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Javirulo »

Specs
RX570 4GB
Ryzen 5 1600AF
16GB RAM
1TB HDD + 250GB HDD
Idk what other spec might be relevant

And also, it might be that we have the same MC problem, but this topic I mean there's an Imput lag in games of 1/0,5 seconds that makes competitive games where it's important reaction time a struggle.
captaincoen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by captaincoen »

I think you’ll need to check the drivers for your mouse and keyboard, alongside your graphics card driver. You can use driver manager to do all of this, I believe.
attishno1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attishno1 »

If you are using Cinnamon, it uses a compositor. That causes input lag.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

I thought i would add to this post about cinnamon mint 20.2
Game lag in Subnautica

specs:
- Ryzen 5 3400G
- 16gig ram 2600mhz

fix:
- installed XFCE, game not lagging now.
right click in xfce session go to desktop settings >menus tick " include applications menu on desktop right click "

havent removed cinnamon just added XFCE meta pkg + goodies pkg from software centre
-Michel-

Post by -Michel- »

attishno1 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:02 pm If you are using Cinnamon, it uses a compositor. That causes input lag.
I always had issues with cinnamon, freezing and lags. Since a few weeks on zorin os 16 and no issues at all
ShinomiyaSatella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ShinomiyaSatella »

On my end I just change the desktop environment cinnamon to i3 after that I dont have any issue I dont like zorin os because of this reasons

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _every_60/
https://youtu.be/oBI4Cl4rM6o

and this kinda lie their quote

>The zorin-os-census script simply counts the number of unique computers using Zorin OS and no personal data is being collected along with it. We would like to clarify that no personal or personally-identifiable data is being collected by us and the server does not log IP addresses when pings arrive
>That's why Zorin OS doesn't collect personal data, so advertisers and governments can't spy on your activity. Zorin OS is Open Source, so anyone can audit its source code to verify its security.

ummm.... after that noooo

Return to “Gaming”