How to start a steam game on dGPU?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hellwarson
Level 1
Level 1

How to start a steam game on dGPU?

Post by Hellwarson »

So I just installed LM 20.2 (Cinnamon) and I have a slight problem.

I am on a laptop and would like to us iGPU for most time and only use Nvidia when needed, i.e. games etc. I installed the drivers and choosed On-demand and it works great but it doesn't select nvidia for some games but it does for other.

I like to use desktop icons but it doesn't give me a choice to select NVIDIA GPU and they don't show up anywhere else.

What do I have to do to force it to start games with dGPU? My other alternative is to always use the Nvidia card but what are the drawbacks of that?

EDIT: It seems like the only game I play that is not using the dedicated GPU is Terraria. Ark and LOTRO works fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DanielPe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to start a steam game on dGPU?

Post by DanielPe »

To make a game run using the discrete GPU, use these simple steps:
Select a game - that you want to run using your discrete Nvidia card - from the Library page of the Steam client, right-click, and select Properties.
Click the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS
Save your changes.

Return to “Gaming”