Games for an old man

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Games for an old man

Post by farkas »

Games for an old fart.
Banging on a keyboard key to get a shot off on a target isn't much fun for me.
My fast twitch muscles have atrophied quite a while back. Fast action, using a keyboard and/or game controller games are beyond my ability.
I'd like suggestions for a game that exercises my fast witch neurons.
Something with good immersive graphics and a good story line along with a puzzle to solve. I solved Myst and Riven.
What are the fun equivalents available?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Games for an old man

Post by Moonstone Man »

farkas wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 am Games for an old f*rt.
Sew, crochet or knit a stuffed animal or a pair of woolly socks.
Play dress ups.
Paint rocks and sea shells.
* Extra bonus points for remembering to add glitter.
* Super bonus points for remembering to change colours occasionally.
Suck jelly (jello) through a straw.
Try to remember your name or birthday.
Hide your false teeth and try to remember where you hid them.

Browse here: https://steam250.com/old and here https://store.steampowered.com/games/
redx87

Post by redx87 »

farkas wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 am Games for an old f*rt.
You must excuse Kadaitcha Man's reply. He has yet to experience the pros and cons of old age.

If you are like me you wouldn't be interested in first person shoot 'em up games, and can't be bothered with strategy, build up your resources, type of games. In Linux that doesn't leave much. The only games I have installed in my Linux mint are hex-a-hop and kmahjongg. They help to take your mind off more the important things in life without getting too involved.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

redx87 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 am You must excuse Kadaitcha Man's reply. He has yet to experience the pros and cons of old age.
Off topic: You must be joking.

viewtopic.php?p=2038927#p2038927
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Certainly not fully immersive graphics, but I enjoyed empire for a while. Terminal based.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
redx87

Post by redx87 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:43 am
redx87 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:39 am You must excuse Kadaitcha Man's reply. He has yet to experience the pros and cons of old age.
Off topic: You must be joking.

viewtopic.php?p=2038927#p2038927
Be that as it may.

I mean no offence to you or anyone else, but I believe your reply to the op was in poor taste and of no value.

That is all I have to say on the matter.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

redx87 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 am ... I believe your reply to the op was in poor taste and of no value.
So you have SOH failure.

<shrug>
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Chess is the game for a man, young or old. 8)

For example online, against other people:
https://www.chess.com/
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
redx87

Post by redx87 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:01 am
redx87 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:39 am ... I believe your reply to the op was in poor taste and of no value.
So you have SOH failure.

<shrug>
SOH ???
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:11 am Chess is the game for a man, young or old. 8)

For example online, against other people:
https://www.chess.com/
it would seem that I've got the odd Chess program on at least some of my PCs.
8)
there is even that on-line version, as above.

there is even some card games, as well AKA solitaire type cards.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

redx87 wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 am SOH ???
Sine equals Opposite over Hypotenuse.
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

JRPGs are something I would recommend even if it isn't going to train your reflexes. They have good story, you can take your time thinking what to do and the controls are very simple. Some of the best ones are: Final Fantasy X, Tales of Vesperia, Dragon Quest 8 (PS2 only).

If you want shooty things: Fallout New Vegas (WRPG) might be a good starting point
The original Deus Ex is often called "the thinking man's shooter".

I have a whole thread with a Top 100 for PC-gaming book that I was working on. Maybe you will find something in there.
viewtopic.php?f=225&t=346751

Sorry but I do not know how to recommend something to challenge "fast twitch neurons" without it requiring a fair bit of accuracy along with fast gameplay
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Thanks to all who have responded.
The "fast twitch neurons" I was referring to are the ones encased in my skull. Not the ones actually attached muscles.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

farkas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 am The "fast twitch neurons" I was referring to are the ones encased in my skull. Not the ones actually attached muscles.
Serious question. Can I assume from that statement that you know about the biology of chickens?
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

I don't know much about the biology of chickens, but I do how to carve one up, raw or cooked. When I was 5 yrs. old, I watched my great-grandmother quickly and humanely dispatched them, clean out the innards, pluck the feathers and prepare them for a meal. I learned a lot from her even at that young age. Today I use megamart chickens, they don't come with giblets, feet or necks. Those were great for soups or stock.

Anyhow my analogy of fast twitch muscles was incorrect. I meant something along the line of exercising my brain so it won't atrophy.
I do have chess programs and solitaire games installed. Most of the time the chess programs beat me badly, once in a while I do eke out a win. Solitaire gets boring after a while.

What I'm looking for is a single person game, with nice graphics, where I can wander around, look for clues to solve a puzzle needed to advance to next level. At my own pace, not dictated by how fast I bang away on the keyboard. It doesn't matter if I fall into a trap that leads to my demise. Reboot and start over.

Thanks for your replies.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

farkas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:35 am Anyhow my analogy of fast twitch muscles was incorrect. I meant something along the line of exercising my brain so it won't atrophy.
I liked your analogy. The best meat on a chicken is always the fast twitch meat. Slow twitch meat is the drier, white meat, and fast twitch meat is the darker, more tender meat. Anyway, back on topic:
What I'm looking for is a single person game, with nice graphics, where I can wander around, look for clues to solve a puzzle needed to advance to next level. At my own pace, not dictated by how fast I bang away on the keyboard. It doesn't matter if I fall into a trap that leads to my demise. Reboot and start over.
The steam links I gave are worth browsing. A lot of the games you can take for a trial run. More specifically:

https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/ ... b=TopRated
https://store.steampowered.com/tags/en/ ... rrentUsers

Some of them are very cheap, less than a US dollar. You can narrow your preference down by clicking on a genre (tag) on the right of the page.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Marcel_T
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Marcel_T »

If you like Myst you may like The 7th Guest. It came out at the same time and is on GOG. Also Beneath a Steel Sky is in the software center. The graphics are old school but it's free and fun and you can get updated music for it.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

farkas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:52 am Thanks. I'll check them out.
You should also check out Stronghold, a great classic RTS game, and my favorites that pass the time yet don't require much keyboard dexterity are the Euro/American Truck Simulator games.
Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff13 »

How about the original XCOM or any of several civ's although it would mean adding steam or lutris.

Return to “Gaming”