Games for an old man

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Games for an old man

Post by absque fenestris »

I am not a computer gamer. What I play now and then on GNU/Linux systems is KNetWalk:

It is graphically endurable and fun. The only game I've played somewhat intensively on computers was Nanosaur 2 on 32-bit-OSX-Macs - but buying the paid version was too much for me ...
vince77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vince77 »

It depends upon what type of games he's like to play. However, considering he's old, go for some simple games like clicker heroes or cookie clicker.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

what about fishing?
Pesebrero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pesebrero »

I'd say Portal 1+2, but technically you would be shooting with mouse and keyboard.

Contraption Maker is a must (spiritual successor of The Incredible Machine saga).

Also Cities Skylines, Surviving Mars, Mad Games Tycoon, Transport Fever and OpenTTD if you're into building things.
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I know of a few puzzle games you can try on Steam:

Milo and the Magpie
Machinarium
Bridge Constructor Portal

I would also recommend tower defense games. There are quite a few of them. The Kingdom Rush series can be played in a browser.
MarkTheMorose
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MarkTheMorose »

Sudoku? Nice version in the repository.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

diyliberty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:40 pm Milo and the Magpie
That's a delicious game :) and it works fine with Proton.
andy_van_isle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_van_isle »

Hi Farkas, I enjoy gnubg (Backgammon, in the LM software centre), I play 2 or 3 11-game matches a day.

Andy :)
LM21 Cinnamon. LMDE5
"If it ain't broke, you ain't trying hard enough!" Red Green.
Peers Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Peers Taylor »

Maybe you' be interested in the "Life is Strange" series; not really my style, but you can check out some preview videos at the Steam page, or on YouTube.
Life is Strange
Life Is Strange: Before the Storm
Life Is Strange: True Colors
Expensive game, though.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1265 ... emastered/
. . . Or perhaps you'd like a detective-style game like "Heavy Rain"?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/960910/Heavy_Rain/
DesktopPC: AMD Zen5 5600X 32gbRam + Radeon RX6600 8gbVram. LinuxMintCinnamon21: SSD#1 Work SSD#2 LinuxGaming SSD#3 Pop!OS
Laptop: ACER Travelmate 5740 i3 6gbRam Linux Mint Cinnamon 21
SingleBoard: RaspberryPi4 4gbRam UbuntuMATE ARM 64 20.04
Mint Leaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mint Leaf »

bridnour wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:27 am [*]Rouge and its descendants. ADOM and ToME are the best of this group. Hold off on buying Ultimate ADOM, however. It was released a bit undercooked. (That said, it should become a good choice once they get a few patches out to flesh out the game.)
[/list]
As Bridnour already mentioned if you are looking for a turn-based game that requires a bit of thought perhaps roguelikes would be a good fit?

For example 'Crawl-tiles' in the Software Manager is Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Basically roguelikes are a combination of a combat RPG and chess. You control one piece and every other piece on the grid moves only when you move or act.

By carefully choosing your actions each turn you slowly navigate the world gaining more power (Or losing it) and dodging death.

These games are normally played with a perma-death setting (Save file deleted on loss) but there are games in this genre that do not use that game mode if it is not to your liking.
Jeff13 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:33 pm How about the original XCOM or any of several civ's although it would mean adding steam or lutris.
If you look into playing the original classic release of X-Com take a look at OpenXcom. It makes running X-Com on a modern machine really easy and there are extra features and bug fixes that enhance the game without changing it.

Also there are player made expansion packs that can be found on the OpenXcom forum if you wish to explore that kind of content.

It has a linux release so getting it to work on Linux Mint is usually pretty simple, you just need to already have purchased X-COM: UFO Defense and/or its sequel X-COM: Terror From the Deep so that you can import the game's data files. (They are pretty cheap on Steam or GOG last I checked.)

OpenXcom can be found here:
https://openxcom.org/
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Elder Scrolls, Marie's Room, Doodlegods (all may need Steam Proton)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
pilotbob42
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pilotbob42 »

World of Warships is available through Steam and works well on Linux with Proton. Alternately, the non-Steam version from Wargaming.net works well under Wine with DXVK (though, if you don't have it already I'd recommend getting it through Steam for simplicity of install). It's kinda half-way between an RTS and an FPS. Much slower pace than a FPS but still has that point of view (in a way). The slower pace rewards thinking ahead more than being fast on the mouse. Along the same lines, World of Tanks, World of Airplanes, War Thunder, but all of these are closer to an FPS than an RTS.
rebul
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rebul »

Old gamer dude here. I played several MMOs over the years (World of Warcraft, Eve Online, The Lord of the Rings Online, etc) but eventually got weary of the time sink. Recently, I gravitated to boardgames and card games and like the much smaller time investment. 'Gremlins' https://store.steampowered.com/app/369990/Gremlins_Inc/ is a hoot (and native Linux client) and I also enjoy 'deck building' card games like:

Ascension https://store.steampowered.com/app/3204 ... ding_Game/ (play using Steam Proton)
Dominion https://dominion.games/ (browser based)

Actually, this has lead to some late life inspiration to create my own deck building game which I am currently designing and coding. More of a passion project than a viable commercial product, but it's fun and engaging. :)

edit: Made a few clarifications
nelbr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nelbr »

farkas wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:09 am I'd like suggestions for a game that exercises my fast witch neurons.
Something with good immersive graphics and a good story line along with a puzzle to solve. I solved Myst and Riven.
I have recently re-played Secret of the Monkey Island on Steam (on Linux Mint). It is a re-make with improved graphics and sound. Well worth the experience, fun game, not exactly like Myst but fun. And from the same timeframe.
citfta
Level 2
Level 2

Post by citfta »

I recently completed a game called "Adventure, Welcome to the Genre" It was a pretty unique game. I installed it using Play on Linux and it worked perfectly on LM20.3 Here is a link to it. It will challenge your brain cells some.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/s ... the-genre/
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

One of the Panzer General clones, some are even free or open.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I am currently playing Mahjongg and Sudocu, although the later strains my free floating neurons severely.
ChocoMint is better
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChocoMint is better »

If any non-quick reaction games will do regarless of context, plot, or genre, i can recommend Prison Architect, or if you wanna feel like a child again, any of the Chris Sawyer tycoon games. Any of the Holy Potatoes games (At least the good ones), LA Noire, and any turn based game, from final fantasy to civilization.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:30 am Elder Scrolls, Marie's Room, Doodlegods (all may need Steam Proton)
hey.. don't touch my room. :P :lol:
Is there a game called that?
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Neigdoig »

For activating your neurons in the manner described, I play 0 AD on occasion (using the Xtradeb Play PPA). I also play RVGL (Re-Volt for OpenGL) as well, but that isn't your style. It's primarily real-time strategy games that could fit your fancy like 0 AD, Warzone 2100, Megaglest, etc.

Return to “Gaming”