Anyone getting a Steamdeck?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Anyone getting a Steamdeck?

Post by MurphCID »

Anyone here getting a Steamdeck? Just curious, I am thinking about it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anyone getting a Steamdeck?

Post by rene »

FWIW not I even if only due to having little use/appreciation for any form of mobile technology. Were that not the case I'd seriously consider it; is looking to be very nice.

One thing to sort of watch out for is that Valve has a particularly non-stellar track-record as to dropping hardware projects again; Steam Machine, Steam Controller, Steam Link, ..., even though that's not saying that e.g. Controller and/or Link do not still function. In the case of Steam Deck you will want ongoing and active development/support though lest e.g. Proton reverts in no time at all to the non-functional Wine crap-heap it rose from. For me it's the case that if this now bombs again in a measly few years time I'll never, ever trust Valve again.

But, yes, very interesting device. Would buy, if only I had not been no fun at all.
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

This could become the laptop I've never owned.
Seriously I've never owned one.
Qurcus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Qurcus »

I'm running some games on a 5700g desktop, with no video card, using Linux Mint to save on the electric bill. CSGO is one of my favourite games. I'm running this game on medium settings at 1080p, and it runs perfectly on my 60 Hz display - it gets a little choppy at 4k. It didn't run worth a darn until steam started doing updates for the steam deck, and i suppose, AMD micro-code updates improved gaming performance even more. The new Steam Deck is using the newer AMD processors so it's a boast for desktop the desktop processors without video cards as well.
help123
Level 1
Level 1

Post by help123 »

Nobody is getting a Steamdeck. Date pushed back to February 2022 with the top of the line model pushed back to a 2023 release date.

February 2022 date will be pushed back to never if war breaks out with China

Return to “Gaming”