[Solved] Playing Civilization VI ?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Playing Civilization VI ?

Post by CuriousMeow »

I'm thinking about playing Civilization VI, but I'm confused here. I had bought Civilization IV and Civilization V before, it seems I forgot to bring the disks back with me, though... :( So I thought about buying the Civilization VI one. It seems I can't get a game on a disk anymore ? :shock:

I've read somewhere that the game is playable directly on Ubuntu (so I guess on Mint too), is that correct ? How then ?

Anyway, I've tried Steam, I don't want to use Wine, and since I have a dual boot, I just tried on W10. Right after downloading and installing Steam, I got a warning saying : "An incompatible version of xxxxxxxxx.dll (related to xxxxxxx) has been detected inside the Steam process. We suggest updating or uninstalling this software if you experience crashes or network slowdowns while running Steam or individual games." That's not a good start.

Then I didn't manage to purchase the game, which seems to be something that happens a lot according to all the search results I got from forums and stuff. The payment window would just be black with "Access denied" as a title. I tried other ways (following tutorials), and only got a blank page with [Object object]. I decided to try with a different payment method, but I can't purchase as I got a warning saying that I tried too many times and "need to wait for a while".

I then went to a "cloud gaming service", I'm not sure if it can be used on any OS, but paying based on time spent playing doesn't seem to be a good idea. Especially for this type of game.

I don't really like Steam. So I'm thinking of just getting it from Epic, but it will only work on Windows ??? Will I need to be connected to the internet for single player games ?

Since I've read people say the game is playable on Linux, I'm curious ? How ? Is there a debian package of the game somewhere ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Playing Civilization VI ?

Post by eu2 »

Steam is very easy to use on linux, the proton version of civ 6 is loads better than the native port.

Currently (until the 1st of December), you can get all of civ 6 for £30 with via steam.

Assuming your pc specs aren't terrible you will be able to play it natively, however on my old box ancient i7 with a gtx1060 the difference from native to proton is huge..

You can google how to install steam on linux mint there are lots of ways.

I'd just go to https://store.steampowered.com/linux click on install steam and open with gdebi.

You will get a lot more help from the steam civ 6 official linux thread than you will here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/d ... 755435118/

Good luck.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

eu2 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:36 pm Steam is very easy to use on linux, the proton version of civ 6 is loads better than the native port.

Currently (until the 1st of December), you can get all of civ 6 for £30 with via steam.

Assuming your pc specs aren't terrible you will be able to play it natively, however on my old box ancient i7 with a gtx1060 the difference from native to proton is huge..

You can google how to install steam on linux mint there are lots of ways.

I'd just go to https://store.steampowered.com/linux click on install steam and open with gdebi.

You will get a lot more help from the steam civ 6 official linux thread than you will here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/d ... 755435118/

Good luck.
Thank you for your answer. :) I'm not sure I understand everything, though ? Does it mean we can just use Steam without installing proton (for some games) ?

My computer is brand new, but if I got it right, the Linux version of the game is only compatible with Nvidia graphic cards ? That's a bummer. I'm not going to try Steam on Mint, then. It's not working for me on W10, can't get the payment window to open properly, so no way to pay for the game, also the incompatibility warning is making me wary. :?
I'll try Epic see if I have better luck.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

CuriousMeow wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:21 am Thank you for your answer. :) I'm not sure I understand everything, though ? Does it mean we can just use Steam without installing proton (for some games) ?

Basically you right click on the game in steam > properties > compatibility > then check the Force the use of.... and select the version of Proton to use.

Steam does the rest and keeps the game and version (series), of proton updated.
steam.png
Civ6 in linux (native), only supports Nvidia cards, but amd is known to often work.
The linux port though is awful, I generally would stop playing mid game as it grinds to a halt even on a small map.
I didn't really realize how bad it was until running it with proton which apparently is pretty much on par with windows.
I have to run it with DX11 though as DX12 crashes.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

eu2 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:27 am
Basically you right click on the game in steam > properties > compatibility > then check the Force the use of.... and select the version of Proton to use.

Steam does the rest and keeps the game and version (series), of proton updated.

steam.png

Civ6 in linux (native), only supports Nvidia cards, but amd is known to often work.
The linux port though is awful, I generally would stop playing mid game as it grinds to a halt even on a small map.
I didn't really realize how bad it was until running it with proton which apparently is pretty much on par with windows.
I have to run it with DX11 though as DX12 crashes.
That's good to know. :)

However, my issue with Steam was that the payment page would not load. As I explained in the first post : after selecting the payment method, you're supposed to have a page with a QR code to scan with the payment method app, but it never loads, the page is either blank with "access denied" as a title or with [Object object] in it. So I just gave up on it. That's literally the only game I will play, so I didn't bother to go to their forum and ask, I just bought it from somewhere else.

Thank you for your help. :)
Last edited by CuriousMeow on Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
CuriousMeow
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CuriousMeow »

Anyway, as someone who barely do gaming, my main question (and preference) was to know if I can play this type of games without needing a 3rd party software (which unfortunately didn't work here). I get that the answer is "no".

Return to “Gaming”