Kodi 19.3 and game emulators ?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Kodi 19.3 and game emulators ?

Post by billeggers182 »

I play games on my TV Amz FireStick Cube with Kodi 19.3, but dont understand why I can't seem to add any emulator to my Kodi 19.3 on my laptop with Mint.

Before you mach me! I'm 50 years old, and suffer from brain damage from car crash. effecting my memory! I'm a good person, and need to learn how to do stuff again to help my "BRAIN REBOOT".

If you just tell me if its possible to load a emulator on laptop kodi 19.3 and perhaps a link to read. THat will get me moving forward. I love linux Mint and I love kodi. Hard for me to understand why I can't seem to get kodi to let me add any emulator. Internet Archive Game Launcher lets me download the Battle Chess games, but then gives me crap about not having a emulator that will work? So I'm assuming, that I just havent properly installed the emulator. If I can't play games using kodi on my laptop I will just go back to finding a emulator that will play the windows version I can get.

When you have brain damage, and memory issues Chess is a good game for thinking and using your noodle!

Thank you for whomever tells me, or points me in the correct direction! I've lost my wife, my job, and I just want to be strong and stay positive by moving forward!

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Kodi 19.3 and game emulators ?

Post by rickNS »

I like Kodi (or used to), and I like a few older (read much older) games, that are played on MAME, Higan, and one (F-1_World_Grand_Prix) on Mupen64Plus-Qt. (most what I tried on that emulator did not work, or worked badly)

Having said that I don't understand the need to jam the two together, maybe you can explain a reason, otherwise it is extra complication, for no real gain except to have all (3 in my case) emulators inside another app...redundant?

PS I don't think there is too much wrong with your brain, and
" I just want to be strong and stay positive by moving forward!"

Good attitude. Too easy to be negative.

OK, what version of Battle Chess ? I see on this page https://lutris.net/games/battle-chess/
There are versions for dosbox, and NES version. The emulator Higan plays NES, and SNES games well.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

Thank you for the information and the compliment on my attempt to always remain positive these days. I took your advice and downloaded Higan. Haven't used it yet, but am looking forward to it.

I'm the typical person I give crap to about the "one size fits all scenario".. I use my amazon firestick Cube with Kodi, play games on it. Use Luna on it as well. I just wanted some ROMS I have to work on my kodi, but must admit with Mint access to some great emulators, I don't have to fuss with them working on kodi.

Translation, MrBill doesn't need to be a "one size fits all person" lol Some things work better for some things etc etc etc. If I could figure out how to get my Pellet grill to actually prep the food, cook it, find something on tv to watch, give me the winning lotto numbers etc My bucket list would be complete!

Thanks again for the information about Higan and I will see what I have laying around to test on it!

Thanks for your time and the great response my friend.

***Do you have site you like that I can check out for ROMS? OF COURSE, I already own the games, I just want a nice friendly site to download them from!

TTFN
MrBill
SRGilbert
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SRGilbert »

I know it's been a few weeks, but I have a suggestion. By FAR, the easiest way to play retro games on a PC is using Batocera. Batocera is a totally self contained Linux operating system that runs completely off of a bootable USB flash drive or hard drive and works as a front end for all your gaming. You plug it in to a USB port, boot from USB and you are up and running in about 30 seconds with an interface that is completely controller operated. It basically does for retrogaming what KODI does for multi-media. Of course, you need to supply your own roms, but the emulators for practically anything you could imagine are already installed.

If that sounds cool, I recommend starting here, where I did, and watch this video from Russ at Retro Game Corps.

https://youtu.be/e0klElI4KLc

Oh, and coincidentally, it actually comes with KODI pre-installed!
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

Thanks for the response. Sorry It took months for me to remembe I posted it.. Bad thing about brain damage and memory stuff! Unless I have a note, message, or whatever to remind me of stuff,,,, well I DON'T REMEMBER IT! lol Anyway I will put that on a extra thumb drive and try it out.... if I remember to !!! LMAO ok, I'm sending myself a screenshot of your suggestion to my cell phone/simplenote/email etc!

Thanks for the idea!

MrBill
HarryMontus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarryMontus »

billeggers182 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:49 pm Thank you for the information and the compliment on my attempt to always remain positive these days. I took your advice and downloaded Higan. Haven't used it yet, but am looking forward to it.

I'm the typical person I give crap to about the "one size fits all scenario".. I use my amazon firestick Cube with Kodi, play games on it. Use Luna on it as well. I just wanted some ROMS I have to work on my kodi, but must admit with Mint access to some great emulators, I don't have to fuss with them working on kodi.

Translation, MrBill doesn't need to be a "one size fits all person" lol Some things work better for some things etc etc etc. If I could figure out how to get my Pellet grill to actually prep the food, cook it, find something on tv to watch, give me the winning lotto numbers etc My bucket list would be complete!

Thanks again for the information about Higan and I will see what I have laying around to test on it!

Thanks for your time and the great response my friend.

***Do you have site you like that I can check out for ROMS? OF COURSE, I already own the games, I just want a nice friendly site to download them from!

TTFN
MrBill
I was busy assigning another responsibility to the media center - to run retro games. And I wanted to play from KODI and its game library. RetroArch on LibRetro API basis suited me best. It integrates a lot of emulators and game engines, and interacts perfectly with KODI. There are no particular difficulties in implementing it, but considering the Linux platform there are some nuances. For example, there is an old version of lightning roulette lucky numbers game, and incorrect displaying of the encoding often happens. How to solve this I do not know yet
Last edited by HarryMontus on Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
billeggers182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by billeggers182 »

thank you for your ideas.

Return to “Gaming”