Use Bottles for running Windows video games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Use Bottles for running Windows video games

Post by xenopeek »

We all know Steam has support out of the box for running Windows games on Linux—through Steam Play, which uses Proton and is based on Wine with patches to better run Windows games—but what if you have games on other Windows game stores that you want to play on Linux through Wine? That's where Bottles can help.

Bottles is a Wine manager that comes with recipes for easily installing other Windows game stores like Epic Games Store, EA Launcher and Battle.net: https://usebottles.com/. Like Valve does with Proton they have a Wine runner optimized for Windows games, though they also have one for applications and you can make a custom one. Bottles has excellent documentation and if you install it through flatpak, security is improved as Wine will run in a sandbox.

You can find the flatpak in Software Manager on Linux Mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
user6c57b8
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Use Bottles for running Windows video games

Post by user6c57b8 »

xenopeek wrote: ...
I'd only trust Bottles if it could perform a miracle like run fortnite or GTA5.

"the latest" wine-unstable mint packages through winehq.org I run Diablo II, Battle.net App, Diablo III, World of Warcraft: Classic, World of Warcraft too easily and too well.

steam proton I run nothing because GTA5 is bugged/crashes while in the middle of playing within 15 minutes and Skyrim has weird timing bugs that I experienced in the intro scene where I never got my head almost cut off. (the last time I tried steam to run GTA5/Skyrim was about 1.3 years ago).
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I was having trouble with getting EA/ Origin open to play games on my Linux mint install.I just got Bottles up and running and it consistently opens Origin .Through Lutris and Steam I'd have to go through a bunch of stuff and still not get to open Origin again without going through the stuff all over again.I tried to get Ubi Connect to run on Bottles but the installation for that just hangs then reports an error code sometimes. I'm fairly certain that's a Ubi connect problem and not Bottles' fault.
But yes Bottles lets me open Origin as many times as I want without signing in, getting a code and entering it,etc. each time I try to open Origin.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
osmanakar312
Level 2
Level 2

Post by osmanakar312 »

f0rsythmary wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 am
xenopeek wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:39 am We all know Steam has support out of the box for running Windows games on Linux—through Steam Play, which uses Proton and is based on Wine with patches to better run Windows games—but what if you have games on other Windows game stores that you want to play on Linux through Wine? That's where Bottles can help.

Bottles is a Wine manager that comes with recipes for easily installing other Windows game stores like Epic Games Store, EA Launcher and Battle.net: https://usebottles.com/. Like Valve does with Proton they have a Wine runner optimized for Windows games, though they also have one for applications and you can make a custom one. Bottles has excellent documentation and if you install it through flatpak, security is improved as Wine will run in a sandbox.

You can find the flatpak in Software Manager on Linux Mint.
Is it possible to run games on Linux, via different cloud services?
You can use directly GeForce NOW on browser. Chrome, Chromium(Open Source Chrome), Microsoft Edge(they really released Linux version) supports it. Other Chromium based browsers should work too.

Return to “Gaming”