Wine/skyrim GPU detection

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Maledictus010
Level 1
Level 1

Wine/skyrim GPU detection

Post by Maledictus010 »

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my head round the following:

My PC is a MSI laptop with Optimus. All drivers installed, Optimus works fine in native Linux, I can select either the onboard Intel graphics (through prime-select) or the nvidia card. The nvidia is a GTX 1650.

I have a wine bottle with Steam and Skyrim (legendary edition, so not the new 64bit version). When the PC runs with the Intel Integrated graphics the Skyrim launcher says the card is a Intel HD4000, which is close enough and it works perfectly on ultra settings. When the PC runs with the Nvidia driver (I use prime-select to pick a card, I do not use on-demand), the Skyrim launcher says the card is a GTX 470 and the game runs really poorly.

When I use SteamPlay in native Linux Skyrim is run through Proton. In that case the Skyrim launcher does recognize the card and shows GTX 1650 in the selection box. The game runs very well but has sound problems because Proton doesn't config correctly for Skyrim.

The point here is: Proton apparently sees the GTX 1650 correctly and Wine does not (Steam tweaks Proton for the GPU details?). I'd like Wine to work well because I like the total control I have when running Windows stuff this way. Is there any way to get Wine/Skyrim to see the GTX 1650 correctly?
Other games in Wine have similar problems, they run okay with the Intel graphics and run bad (if at all) with the Nvidia.

Some details:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: NVIDIA driver: nvidia v: 510.60.02 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~144Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02
From the Wine log:

0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GL version             : 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GL renderer            : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GLX version            : 1.4.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Server GLX version     : 1.4.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Server GLX vendor:     : NVIDIA Corporation.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Client GLX version     : 1.4.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Client GLX vendor:     : NVIDIA Corporation.
0118:trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering enabled: True
glxinfo:

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.60.02
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60 NVIDIA
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 NVIDIA 510.60.02
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20
Wine is stable 7.0. Linux is mint 20.3. Bottle is 32bit.
When running dxdiag in the Wine bottle it only refers to the Intel Integrated graphics, no mention of the GTX 1650.

Thanks very much for any help on this.
Regards,
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
user6c57b8
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine/skyrim GPU detection

Post by user6c57b8 »

Maledictus010 wrote: the game runs very well but has sound problems because Proton doesn't config correctly for Skyrim
try a different version of proton.
go to Steam->Settings->Steam Play->select a different version in the combo box.
To get Skyrim working I had to select an older version of Proton.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Wine/skyrim GPU detection

Post by cretsiah »

Bottle is 32bit.
pretty sure this will be your problem...

your asking a 64-bit designed instruction set graphics card to conform to the whims of a 32-bit CPU and memory management instruction set, hence the wrong naming GTX 470

drivers only come in 64-bit https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

im unsure why you specifically chose a 32-bit bottle instead of the standard set-up 64-bit... ( the 64-bit bottle does run 32-bit apps - most of the launchers that run in the 64-bit bottles start/ launch in 32-bit - steam / epic / ubisoft )

Return to “Gaming”