Linux Mint Mate Tricia 19.3 Issues [SOLVED]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Mate Tricia 19.3 Issues

Post by FlatAerth »

Oh my mistake. It was Nvidia on the Network device name, then followed by the same number as the Biostar motherboard following it. I ordered 8GB of Ram online, maybe that will help everything overall, idk. i only have 2.8 RAM on it now. Running ubuntu on normal mode would always cause the graphics to appear blurry , and the computer would always freeze and crash alot, especically if running games or online videos for awhile. Also had to run ubuntu 20 on recovery mode to work without that distorted graphic glitch, but it was still super SLOW, probably because of the lower then required RAM of 4GB i believe. this is why i'm trying Mint which has a 2GB requirement and i'm actually pretty happy with it overall. My processor speed is 2.6 ghz and athlon amd x2 6000+ which is holding up pretty good still, considering when this computer was made. My GPU on this computer is a Nvidia GeForce 6150, and connected with VGA to the desktop, but i don't see a graphics card in the machine, so it must be in the motherboard or CPU. Is this a slow GPU to run games on?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FlatAerth wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:33 pm My GPU on this computer is a Nvidia GeForce 6150, and connected with VGA to the desktop, but i don't see a graphics card in the machine, so it must be in the motherboard or CPU. Is this a slow GPU to run games on?
The person I mentioned in the other topic who had that same Nvidia-bridge network designation also was having issues with the graphics. Their HP 505B Microtower PC had an NVIDIA C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430].

User roblm posted the following in that topic
Your integrated Nvidia GPU is a very old and too underpowered to be running Cinnamon. It is given a rating of 31 on a scale of 0 to 26581:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/low_end_gpus.html
which I would guess means that GPU would not be great for games.

I would think the added memory will help.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

So how was i able to run eternal lands before on Ubuntu 20 then? lol. with this same GPU and computer? doesn't make any sense smg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FlatAerth wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:01 pm So how was i able to run eternal lands before on Ubuntu 20 then? lol. with this same GPU and computer? doesn't make any sense smg
I didn't say it was impossible; I said my guess would be the GPU would not be great for games. It was a general statement and I do not know the requirements for the games you play. (I do not game.)
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

Ya just doesn't make sense. not saying you're wrong lol. i don't game at all anymore either, but only certain games i'll dable. i used to play lots of xbox and sports games on the video game consoles .

ok here is the full Network info:

Code: Select all

Network:   Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Biostar Microtech Intl Corp 
           type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: ec00 bus ID: 00:07.0 
           chip ID: 10de:03ef 
           IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac
would this tell you what's causing the error on mint and not ubuntu?
Last edited by FlatAerth on Thu May 26, 2022 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

you think i should just be good with the 8gb Ram on this desktop , since i just mainly use it for internet and email etc. or should i find a used intel i7 desktop on ebay? seem pricey tho , the ones with hard drives lol
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FlatAerth wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:16 pmwould this tell you what's causing the error on mint and not ubuntu?
I would think that information is the same for both installs.

I have already indicated I am not familiar with the specific game so I can not help you troubleshoot that issue.
FlatAerth wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 pm you think i should just be good with the 8gb Ram on this desktop , since i just mainly use it for internet and email etc. or should i find a used intel i7 desktop on ebay? seem pricey tho , the ones with hard drives lol
I use a 2nd-gen Intel Celeron (onboard graphics) with 4GB of RAM and an SSD on my LM20.3 laptop. I run the Cinnamon desktop with all the effects turned off. If I open the office suite things start getting slow, but for Internet and email it works well for me.
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

maybe the game just doesnt work on linux mint mate or linux mint. has to be the only solution. i messaged for help in their forums too, but prob wont get a reply soon.
thanks tho
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

hey i got it to work! lol. Had to run the following with Sudo command instead of through update manager! Not sure why this didn't do it with the update manager download.

"Ubuntu .deb Packages

Open a command line terminal then enter the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pjbroad/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install eternallands

This will install the client and data packages, and normally, the sound package too. If the sound package is not included but you want it, use:

sudo apt-get install eternallands-sound

Additionally, if you want the music use:

sudo apt-get install eternallands-music "
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FlatAerth wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:10 pm hey i got it to work!
Glad to hear that!
Please go to your very first post in this topic, click the pencil icon, and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the title so others know there is a solution in this topic.
FlatAerth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FlatAerth »

ok thanks. quick question. now the game and screen keeps freezing and crashing the computer only a few moments into the game on occasion. would that be a hardware or RAM issue causing this?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

FlatAerth wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:25 pm ok thanks. quick question. now the game and screen keeps freezing and crashing the computer only a few moments into the game on occasion. would that be a hardware or RAM issue causing this?
RAM is hardware. ;)

Linux Mint 19 (and 20) versions automatically create a swap file during installation. It is usually 2G in size. That file size can be changed if, for some reason, you are running into an issue related to memory/swap size.

With my lack of knowledge of the game, you'll have to see if someone else knows why things are freezing and crashing. I would suggest checking log files to see if there are clues. The System Reports app in Linux Mint would be one place to check. I would guess that Eternal Lands might also create a log file somewhere.

Return to “Gaming”