wine compatibility issue

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
user2947593872
Level 1
Level 1

wine compatibility issue

Post by user2947593872 »

Hi!
I have several applications that work wine, but i am unable to play online with

A friend / developer notified me to use https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Failed_to_u ... ermissions , however, even using "locate wine-preloader", i have no results for this program other than lutris.
I do not have wine/wine config /wine uninstaller on my menu search anymore, as i reinstalled mint a short while ago, so what do i do?

I have installed wine and purged wine both using sudo apt and snap, both have not created any wine-preloader, so i have no idea how to solve this issue :lol:
5.4.0-121-generic, running mint cinnamon, ask for any more information, will gladly provide.

I have both wine 5.5 and wine 5.0 i believe, with wine-- version providing wine-5.0 (Ubuntu 5.0-3ubuntu1)
Any solutions?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Re: wine compatibility issue

Post by Neigdoig »

For that, you need to upgrade to WineHQ. The "Ultimate Guide to Linux Gaming" by Chris Titus Tech on christitus.com has the instructions for Mint, and other Debian/Ubuntu based distros. It has the latest version. Also, I'd recommending that you have everything you need in the guide. Make sure you upgrade your kernel to Xanmod as well, since that may help with FPS if you have issues in that area.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

user2947593872 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:31 pm I do not have wine/wine config /wine uninstaller on my menu search anymore, as i reinstalled mint a short while ago, so what do i do?

Code: Select all

sudo apt install wine-desktop-files
that will give you the 'Wine' menu entries back.

but If you want a new/newest versions of Wine it's best to install from the official Wine (WineHQ) website... https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu (after that's done then issue that wine-desktop-files command I posted above as they don't mention this on their official installation instructions but it will give you the Wine menu entries on Mint).

but depending on what version of Mint you got will determine what options you got to use in regards to the WineHQ website installation. but since you mentioned "5.4" kernel I am going to guess you got Mint 20.x installed. if so, you can use the 'stable' installer on the WineHQ website which will give you Wine v7.0. if you are on Mint 21.x then there is no official 'stable' release. but in the mean time for Mint 21.x you can use the newest 'development' version, which will give you the newest Wine available, which is currently v7.15.

even from a fresh install of Mint and using the official WineHQ website instructions, you will still need to use that 'sudo apt install wine-desktop-files' after the WineHQ stuff is finished installing if you want the Wine menu entries.

p.s. based on what the Mint team suggests for installing Wine is 'apt install wine-installer'. while this is okay, it will give you a older version of Wine. but that might be okay as if your program works on a older version of Wine then you don't have to worry about using the newest stuff. but since I play games I generally prefer the more updated stuff in combination with Lutris etc and then I just use PlayOnLinux (sudo apt install playonlinux) for running my Windows programs with slightly older versions of Wine.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Installing Wine from the official WineHQ is good idea. There's has been a lot going since that Wine 5.0 shipped with Ubuntu focal.
Installing "alternative" kernels might not be a good idea. You have to give it a second thought.
What's the game you can't play BTW?
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Neigdoig »

Due to EAC, VRChat is unplayable for the 470 drivers on my end, and upgrading the kernel to the Xanmod didn't break my machine.

Return to “Gaming”