EA Origin help? (SOLVED)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

EA Origin help? (SOLVED)

Post by jstich »

Hello does anyone know how to get EA's Origin service to run properly on Mint?I can supply all the steps I go through.Basically I got a game going through Lutris and EA but the Origin installation only has an entry under Wine and the Origin icon does not launch Origin.It shows the mouse/loading icon a few seconds then it's like nothing happened. I wouldn't blame anyone for ditching EA games because Origin is so bad. I'm getting closer to that.Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: EA Origin help?

Post by ugly »

Have you tried using Lutris? Here are the instructions to set it up: https://lutris.net/downloads

There's been some issues from time to time, but Origin has generally worked for me through Lutris.
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

if Lutris doenst do it for ya ( i dont use it )

then you could try bottles ( in software manager )

documentaion https://docs.usebottles.com/

here shows the installers they pre-build to get working https://docs.usebottles.com/bottles/installers

bottles on older hardware might be a bit sluggish to get up and moving when you launch it, once launched its fine

sorry i dont touch EA
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Thanks for the replies. I should have said Lutris instead of Linux in my post.Sorry for that. Long story short I can get Origin games to run through Lutris.The problem comes when I'm done gaming and the Lutris box that updates Origin is still running.Trying to stop it it will cancel the installation even though It should be done installing.And even though I marked to make shortcuts for Origin there is only an Origin entry under Wine but that does nothing.When I'm done gaming and close out Origin there is no usable entry on my computer.If I try to launch Origin again through Lutris I have to go through the ordeal of re doing the whole nightmare process that takes more than an hour.
If I could get an EA/Origin entry somewhere on my desktop somewhere that would be a good start.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

jstich wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:09 am Thanks for the replies. I should have said Lutris instead of Linux in my post.Sorry for that. Long story short I can get Origin games to run through Lutris.The problem comes when I'm done gaming and the Lutris box that updates Origin is still running.Trying to stop it it will cancel the installation even though It should be done installing.And even though I marked to make shortcuts for Origin there is only an Origin entry under Wine but that does nothing.When I'm done gaming and close out Origin there is no usable entry on my computer.If I try to launch Origin again through Lutris I have to go through the ordeal of re doing the whole nightmare process that takes more than an hour.
If I could get an EA/Origin entry somewhere on my desktop somewhere that would be a good start.
that kinda sounds like your running a flatpak version ( you would have a similar issue with bottles from software manager )

although bottles itself will show up under accessories the games do not show up, you have to launch bottles then the specific bottle ( if you have more than one ) you put the game in...

although with bottles i dont think you would have to " go through the whole ordeal again " ( if i understand what you mean by this )
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Thanks Cret, I can't quite understand bottles. It seems similar to Lutris but I'm having trouble understanding Lutris.And I would have to go through the process of downloading,signing in,and updating and more signing in,etc with Bottles too.
What sucks is if I click on the lower left LM icon, there's a Wine entry I can mouse over and it shows 13 entries including Origin ,Ubi, and even a Peggle entry from the one time I got Origin to work. There are also entries to un install Origin and Ubi.When I click on any of these entries nothing happens at all. It's frustrating.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I tried Bottles to get Origin working and I got it to work.But it's having download and other problems so I'm wary of downloading a bigger game and not have it work.
I tried to install Ubi connect through Bottles but it just locks at about 3/4 of the way then throws up an error that is most likely Ubi's fault rather than a problem with Bottles.Bottles does open Origin so this is a success.

Return to “Gaming”