What games are you playing / are you looking forward to?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What games are you playing / are you looking forward to?

Post by antikythera »

Metal: Hellsinger which releases tomorrow on Steam and other platforms. It's an indie game where you attack enemies in time to a heavy metal sound track. It's 3D FPS style with visually stunning environments as well.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: What are we playing now days?

Post by Termy »

f0rsythmary wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 am [...]
Oof, that's an old post of mine. These days, I'm playing a lot of Ghost Recon: Wildlands.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Metal: Hellsinger

Game launched and I bought it immediately to play on Linux Mint 20.3. Just a default install where Steam chose Proton 6.3-8. First time playing and getting a feel for it. Performance is good with absolutely no tuning done.

I think I will really enjoy this game. Horns in the air!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDwlnZBQ5Eo
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: What are we playing now days?

Post by Termy »

f0rsythmary wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:01 am [...]
If you mean the story, then yeah, I'm not too in-the-know either. I Just know you're there to deal with El Sueño, but to deal with him, you first need to deal with enough of his fancy underlings to get his attention.

I don't play it for the story though, as it's the gameplay, stealth, cooperation (online), and challenge (Tier 1 mode at extreme with a limited HUD is awesome!) which gets me every time. The stealth is some of the best I've ever played, honestly. Enable extreme mode, enable Tier 1 mode, disable some HUD elements (leave only compass and ammo + item information) and you're golden; it's very immersive, but also very challenging.

The collectables are things like weapons (weapon cases), weapon accessories (IE: suppressors), resources (IE: gasoline), legends, intel (for missions and collectables), kingslayer files (lore), etc. There are a ton of story missions over many regions (with varied biomes), some cool extra missions (IE: Silent Spade), and lots of side missions (IE: dealing with conveys), so there's a lot to keep you engaged. There are many weapons, many weapon accessories (scopes, underbarrels, magazines, muzzles, etc), and there's a sort-of realistic ballistics to it as well, which means aiming is actually challenging. Sniping is very satisfying, IMO, and it's something I also hear a lot from other players. There are no things like wind or temperature affecting bullet velocity or accuracy, but there is bullet drop, which adds to the challenge, especially when sniping. Different weapons and weapon configurations afford different capabilities of range and accuracy, amongst other things.

You're not always forced into stealth, but it is Ghost Recon and not Rambo, after all, although you do get a lot of Rambo players. :roll: You can 'go loud', and can even maintain a certain level of unpredictability and stealth when you do, depending on how aggressive and/or obvious you're being. Stealth is, IMO, very rewarding. You can be patient, scout, recon the area, watch patrols, listen for chatter, and all the other typical stealth things, then pick the enemies off one-by-one. As you can tell, I like stealth. :P

You get access to mines, proximity mines (although the same thing, it seems), C4 (remote explosive), flash grenades, fragmentation grenades, flares (great for distracting enemies), and so on, which allow for tactical manoeuvres, such as flashing a room then taking out a series of blinded enemies without engaging an entire base. Speaking of bases, there are a number of varied places to engage the enemy, like outposts, checkpoints, homes, villas, compounds, tourist attractions, etc. There are civilians, too. You can fly, swim, use boats, use cars, use choppers (varied), use planes (only simple ones, sadly), and even use some bikes (not too varied, but fun).

The developers actually went to Bolivia (where the game's story is based) to get inspiration and a lot of images on which to base the game's world, which is pretty cool. There are places in the game which strongly resemble real places in Bolivia, and the varied biomes found in the game can also be found in real life.

Anyway, that's enough gushing from me. :lol:
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I've been 'popping' through Portal 1 and 2 the last few days. I figured, why not, they have been in my Steam library for years and I haven't played either one in many a moon. I don't remember them being so short to play through. I guess my reasoning skills have improved through the years. :lol:
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

kelevra wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:37 pm [...]
The cake is a lie.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

I was looking forward to the new WoW expansion Dragonflight but looks like I've hit the end of the road with my ASUS ROG Zephyrus lappy. It'll be three years old this Christmas and they're still selling them for about what I paid, $999. Which is really a testament do how great the nVidia 1660 Ti Max-Q GPU is on these. Unfortunately looks like my Ryzen 7 3750H CPU is Zen+ and game requires Zen 2. :( I almost picked up a new Ryzen 7 lappy on Cyber Monday with a 3070 but I'm told the 4060 laptops will be just as fast and a little more power efficient. So guess WoW: Dragonflight will have to wait a while... aaaargh!

Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

Aw man, I almost bought another ASUS ROG Zephyrus for $450 off list price at Best Buy:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-z ... Id=6494642
But looks like I got minimal requirements and recommended config mixed up and my existing lappy will still work just fine. So this weekend I'm gonna be flying around like a dragon. Woot! :lol:
https://dragonflight.blizzard.com/en-us/
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Recently got into Borderlands 3. What a game! Lotta fun, so much content, and a pretty cool story. Definitely not without issues, though. :roll:

Return to “Gaming”