Anyone else playing Open Arena?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

I started playing "Quake ]|[ Arena" back in 1999 when it first came out, and have also played "Quake ]|[ Team Arena" as well, so when I found "Open Arena" (and finally fixed it so that it works) I found it to be a nice update to the classic game.

Hardness settings 1 and 2 seemed a bit too easy for me, setting 3 seemed to be where I was about even with the Bots, setting 4 has definitely been a challenge but I'm getting to the point that I usually win the round, I tried setting 5 once and it was just way too much too soon.

Things that I like about the game... new levels, new characters, it has never glitched on me once and caused me to die while I was waiting on it to un-glitch, and finally... there was definitely some imagination that went into making the update.

Things I don't like....

1. In "Quake ]|[ Arena" if you did something stupid that caused your own death you lost a kill, that is not the case in "Open Arena" I see the bots constantly doing stupid things that I think should cost them a kill.

2. Things don't add up...

[OA_KOTH2 - "Floating Tower" ] This is pretty much the only level that I play, I've played the entire game and this is my favorite level, sometimes I'll play "Five Steps Ahead", having multiple opponents I feel makes it more fun, one-on-ones get boring after a while.

2a - I've had 200 health and all the armor that I could collect and unloaded everything I had, rockets, Gatling Gun/rotary cannon, nearly all the ammo I had left, meanwhile the bot had its back to me the entire time it turns around and shoots me once and I'm dead.

2b - The same two bots seem to win over and over (Liz and Gargoyle).

2c - This doesn't tend to happen outdoors but inside the tower if you hold still sometimes the bots don't even notice that you are there and will walk right past you, so I open fire and spray them with bullets they turn around and a moment later I'm dead.

2d - Inconsistent Rail-Gun... I hit the bots three times with the rail-gun and they don't go down, I get hit once and I'm dead.

3 - I really haven't researched this a whole lot but "Quake ]|[ Arena" had a lot of choices for characters that you could play, Open Arena has five, I'd like more choices.

4 - I don't remember which ones they are but there are a couple of levels that are completely unplayable because the sound effects have malfunctioned and it just has a repeating pulsed noise that just sounds like some kind of mental torture.

5 - "Battle Armor" seems to do nothing, in "Quake ]|[ Arena" if you had the Battle Armor on (i.e. golden armor) you were pretty much invincible until the countdown ended and it disappeared, in Open Arena I've been hit once and had it been obliterated and I was killed, however if I went down in the poison fog under the tower it seemed to last as long as you would expect it to.

6 - "Frags" to end the level are all locked at "8" I'd like some way to push them higher.

Overall I love the game and it has become my nightly de-stressor.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Anyone else playing Open Arena?

Post by Neigdoig »

Not too long ago, I started doing so, but only if I had the Unified binaries, for which Ubuntu 20.04 (Mint 20.3) has a bug that causes OA to crash. Otherwise, it works like it should. I specialize in Instagib, though.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

Neigdoig wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:03 pm Not too long ago, I started doing so, but only if I had the Unified binaries, for which Ubuntu 20.04 (Mint 20.3) has a bug that causes OA to crash. Otherwise, it works like it should. I specialize in Instagib, though.
I used to play it a long time ago and I remember it working but somewhere in the evolution of Ubuntu/Mint something changed that caused it to crash, I think with me the game would actually open but when you actually tried to play it crashed with some error.

Check out my posting here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356459&p=2207654#p2207654 scroll clear down to the bottom to my very last posting, it has what fixed it so that it was actually playable, basically you just have to copy/paste something into Terminal and let it run and it fixes the game.
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Neigdoig »

Better: I just got the Unified Binaries for the game, and launched it that way. Simple as that.

Return to “Gaming”