VPX Pinball Running and Playing on Linux Mint

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sugarbear
Level 1
Level 1

VPX Pinball Running and Playing on Linux Mint

Post by sugarbear »

Hello Friends

I have somehow manage to get VPX Pinball (Visual Pinball) running and playing on Mint after about 6 months of trial and error and learning. VPX offers over a 1000 pinball games to play on their software that only used to work on Microsoft but at this time I am playing it on Mint. I am wondering if anyone else has attempted this and made it work?

Also, I have communicated with the VPX development team about me making their software run and play on Linux and they have requested directions on how to do so to distribute with their software so end users can install and play on Linux also as an alternative to Microsoft. I am working to develop directions on how I did this but that is somewhat difficult as I had several Einstein sessions where I was dancing around chanting and throwing chicken bones at the computer while it was sitting on an oil drum LOL. There is also a lot going on in my system to begin with as I first built it to play arcade and game console emulators for my home arcade. I then work at building VPX pinball into it so I no longer had to dual boot my system to Microsoft play the amazing 1000 digital pinball tables on my system.

Trying to recreate all of this to come up with directions on how to make all this work is probably almost more difficult so I am trying to figure out a way to make this all available to others to be able to play all the games also. I am currently able to clone system to other systems and it all works well. I have a RedHat background and was familiar with kickstart automated install but am not very familiar with mint and do not see this available and maybe more complicated for a lot of users that just want to be able to install Linux Mint on their computer and load games and play.

Would it be possible to make what I have built into a distribution where users could just download ISO and create a bootable USB/DVD and install on their computer and play away? Trying to make this as simple and easy as possible for everyone who wants to have an amazing arcade / pinball system very easily from my work.

Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Thu May 18, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: VPX Pinball Running and Playing on Linux Mint

Post by SMG »

sugarbear wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:43 pmWould it be possible to make what I have built into a distribution where users could just download ISO and create a bootable USB/DVD and install on their computer and play away? Trying to make this as simple and easy as possible for everyone who wants to have an amazing arcade / pinball system very easily from my work.
Welcome to the forum, sugarbear.

Kudos on the success of your chicken bones dance and chant. :mrgreen:

As far as making an ISO, just wanted to pass along this post with regards to what would need changed from a legal standpoint with any Linux Mint base you might use.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
sugarbear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sugarbear »

Thank you for your response. I was not looking to create my own distribution at all. Was hoping to help Mint make this work with their distribution. Thanks
sugarbear
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sugarbear »

Here working on setting up all of the Mint development stuff on system. Wish me luck : )

Return to “Gaming”