.steam keeps making and deleting the registry.vdf file

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Miroslav
Level 1
Level 1

.steam keeps making and deleting the registry.vdf file

Post by Miroslav »

I cannot get it to stop remaking these files and it is lagging my pc hard. it is making multiple files every second. i have tried deleting them multiple ways including synaptic. but it just keeps making more. I tried removing steam entirely but it just changed its name to debian-installation and kept doing the same thing.

I don't know what to do next besides format my hard drive and reinstall. I just switched os and haven't made any time shift files yet
Last edited by LockBot on Fri May 19, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: .steam keeps making and deleting the registry.vdf file

Post by MiZoG »

Hey, Miroslav!
You should have posted this on the software subforum.

Version of Mint and system specs (inxi -Fxxxrz)? Version of steam and method of installation (flatpak, deb)?
Is it just the registry.vdf (title of your thread) or multiple files as you claim in your post?

Anyway, registry.vdf is the file storing your credentials. Bug might be related to your preferences (don't quote me on that). Did you opt for "remember me on this computer" or the opposite?

There is a tip, though related to different bug, on ArchWiki on how to make this file immutable (so no program can delete, rename, change it)

sudo chattr +i ~/.steam/registry.vdf <-- if yours is a standard installation of Steam Client

I believe you can run the same command to revert the change anytime you want.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: .steam keeps making and deleting the registry.vdf file

Post by SMG »

MiZoG wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:42 amYou should have posted this on the software subforum.
We usually put Steam issues in the Gaming forum. I have moved the topic to there.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Gaming”