CS:GO freezes my entire system

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andre8900
Level 1
Level 1

CS:GO freezes my entire system

Post by Andre8900 »

Hello,
I am experiencing a freeze of my entire system when playing CS:GO (usually after max. 10 minutes or less of playing).
I have had this issue when I upgraded my system from Linux Mint 20.3 to 21 and thought it might be related to the upgrade that broke some package or anything. But now I am on a clean installation and it is still happening. No issues on 20.3.
System information: https://termbin.com/c1alm
I run the game on my Nvidia GPU via Prime (by using the launch options below)
Launch options in steam: __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia %command% +fps_max 80 -novid -nojoy

What still works after the freeze:
  • Music (keeps playing in the background)
  • Network
  • SSH? (Not sure about it, but it worked when I tried a few months ago)
What doesn't work after the freeze:
  • Interacting with the game or my system in general
  • Closing the game
  • Getting to my desktop (neither Super+D nor Alt+Tab)
  • Switching to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
What I tried so far (didn't help):
  • Clean installing the system, steam and CS:GO
  • Switching NVidia driver version to 515, 520 or 525
  • Updating BIOS
  • Setting intel's max_cstate to 1
  • Launching the game in Vulkan mode (-vulkan launch option) (runs as OpenGL application otherwise)
  • Disabling CPU undervolting
  • Disabling Swap
  • Checking my RAM and VRAM (no errors)
  • Launching steam (not only CS:GO) with Nvidia GPU
I would really appreciate any help as I can't find a fix for it.
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Sun May 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: CS:GO freezes my entire system

Post by exploder »

Kind of a long shot, but have you tried some of these tips?

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

Just trying to think of anything that might help.
Andre8900
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andre8900 »

I found out that it does not freeze if I start my system in Nvidia Performance mode and remove the extra options for offloading.
Well at least it did not hang in the two bot games that I tested, but it might do later. It is a bug that is hard do test if it's gone because it happens irregularly.
exploder wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:03 pm Kind of a long shot, but have you tried some of these tips?

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

Just trying to think of anything that might help.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough about my issue. My entire system would hang until I hard reboot. These tips seem to just speed up the system a bit. Which one in particular do you think might help me?
Andre8900
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Andre8900 »

robseNgt wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:02 pm In the CS GO Settings ingame everything is on AUTO right?
Like Auto (HIGH) etc, right?

Set this things manually to HIGH, Medium, Low etc without the AUTO Option and everything will work nice. Also in nvidia Settings set the quality because its after tests the best option.
Nope, that doesn't work either.
As I said, I have two GPUs: iGPU (Intel) and dGPU (Nvidia). It only occurs if I use the on-demand mode and run CS:GO with the Nvidia GPU.
So I think it might be a Nvidia driver issue. I will open a bug report on the Nvidia page and see if they can help me.

Return to “Gaming”