Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

Linux Mint based on Debian /testing branch - Gnome Edition

To Be Continued...

Part 2 is coming...when?

The same project has already been made for KDE - Pure OS 2 beta 2 KDE 4.2.4 Live CD Install
The system supports French and English idioms. Kde 4.3 not in the Debian/testing branch yet.
The installer screenshot is very similar to that Clem has posted here in this trhead.
The guys there don't have the precious Mint's tools. :) I just gave the distro a try running the Live CD - Very Good.

Hope Clem can conclude Mint Debian Gnome Edition and set it (the edition) for one year release cycle . :?:
It would be great. :wink:

Best wishes
Roberto

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

Rob Brill,

Greetings sir.

KDE 4.3 is in sid. It went in about 3 days after it was released. :-)

It is a big improvement over 4.2 too.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Gumbotron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gumbotron »

so mint debian is goin to be gnome?

and if its not going to be lean/mean what will be the advantage of usin it over the main mint edition?

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

This is still an experiment - if Clem or someone else ever gets the time ......
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill »

Fred wrote:Rob Brill,

Greetings sir.

KDE 4.3 is in sid. It went in about 3 days after it was released. :-)

It is a big improvement over 4.2 too.

Fred
---------

Fred, The Gentleman. :)

Thanks for your tip.

Regards
Roberto :wink:

Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rob Brill »

Gumbotron wrote:so mint debian is goin to be gnome?

and if its not going to be lean/mean what will be the advantage of usin it over the main mint edition?

--------------------

Hi,

It can be any particular choice and add to the users. Release cycle for instance is very insteresting.(MintDebian CE) :?:

I think It does not mean users will stop running the Mint Gnome Main Edition (6 month release cycle).

More choices, perhaps more accessions. :wink:
I for one, would use the two editions. - here Gnome x64

Regards
Roberto

Gumbotron
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gumbotron »

Dont know if this is a good ting to hear to you guys but i personally will use Mint Debian edition if i am able to choose between gnome or kde. Or atleast be ble to install kde and uninstall gnome and all of its dependencies.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Gumbotron wrote:Dont know if this is a good ting to hear to you guys but i personally will use Mint Debian edition if i am able to choose between gnome or kde. Or atleast be ble to install kde and uninstall gnome and all of its dependencies.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a choice of desktop environments at the time of installation...

graeme
Level 3
Level 3

Post by graeme »

And as long as any Mint branding is removed or the installer is completely unchanged it's perfectly OK
What installer do you use?

I cannot remember what it looked like from my last install, but I had always assumed it was Ubiquity, or based on it.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Ubiquity in all other releases - but not in Mint Debian I think - it won't work for some reason

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The installer will be mint-debian-installer, it's a new installer written from scratch: http://github.com/linuxmint/mint-debian-installer

Clem

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks for the link! I was wondering how things were going with the installer. I bookmarked the link! I am looking forward to Mint Debian and am hoping it will make for a more configurable system than the Ubuntu base provides. A working Debian installer will open more doors for us.

graeme
Level 3
Level 3

Post by graeme »

That is going to be used by a lot of other people......

I would really love to see a Debian Mint, especially if it is based on stable (I like solid!)

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

As many of you know I am working at making my own Mint-Debian-Squeeze-Xfce (testing) ... or something like it.
As I love LinuxMint and Xfce and a Rolling Release cycle.

Well, I have my Debian Squeeze - Xfce (testing) pretty much where I want it, for the moment. (it will always keep changing)
And, with the recent release of LinuxMint-8 RC1;
I am now downloading/installing/adding/updating all the LinuxMint-8 packages/repositories and Mint specific apps, to what I've built.

Doesn't look bad, so far . . . (kinda like my women) . . . fast and pretty. :P and a little complicated.

I haven't broken anything yet? :lol: But, I'm working on it. :lol:

I don't know that I'll be ready to share my version of Mint-Debian, anytime soon.
But, I plan to write up a 'tutorial' on how to build a Mint-Debian in the near future. :mrgreen:
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eeezzzeee »

I know at this point Mint based off Debian is just something some people are kicking around, but I was curious to know if the project did gain traction and Mint did switch bases would Mint still offer things like restricted drivers and programs like firefox through its own repos?
I built a Debian XFCE install a while back that I liked, but I could not stand ice weasel (I know it is supposed to be unbranded firefox, but it was unpolished and didn't work as well on certain sites). I like the idea of a Debian base, but not if it means losing the simplicity, out of the box usuability, and polish of Mint as it is now. Just curious as to the changes, if any, a Debian base would mean for Mint.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

If we changed the base of the main edition to Debian there will of course be changes but we will keep it "as it is" when it comes to apps and feel and the like

Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

Is the hivemind active again or something? I start looking at playing with Debian Lenny and this topic pops back up again :lol:

@vrkalak:
I think I would be one of the first in line for that tutorial :lol: I'm planning to attempt a Debian Lenny install with the 2.6.30 kernel (and Pidgin 2.6.3) from the Lenny Backports repository, to play around with. I'm pondering Squeeze, though I'm not that confident in my ability to fix things if they break. OTOH, I've been watching my Gloria install crumble slowly apart no matter what I do, so then I start thinking "Can it be as bad as this?" :roll:

@eeezzzeee:
Agree about Iceweasel/Icecat. I tried Maybeway's "Mint Debian"/Glacix a while back and was very pleased with what I saw.
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I've been watching my Gloria install crumble slowly apart
Eh?

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Not sure if this would interest anyone here but I've put together a little script for making a Debian Testing build from a basic net install installation. It's based on xfce but can modified to suit your needs :)
Last edited by msuggs on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Any new updates to the Mint-Debian project?

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”