Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vrkalak

Re: Mint Debian

Post by vrkalak »

As many of you know I am working at making my own Mint-Debian-Squeeze-Xfce (testing) ... or something like it.
As I love LinuxMint and Xfce and a Rolling Release cycle.

Well, I have my Debian Squeeze - Xfce (testing) pretty much where I want it, for the moment. (it will always keep changing)
And, with the recent release of LinuxMint-8 RC1;
I am now downloading/installing/adding/updating all the LinuxMint-8 packages/repositories and Mint specific apps, to what I've built.

Doesn't look bad, so far . . . (kinda like my women) . . . fast and pretty. :P and a little complicated.

I haven't broken anything yet? :lol: But, I'm working on it. :lol:

I don't know that I'll be ready to share my version of Mint-Debian, anytime soon.
But, I plan to write up a 'tutorial' on how to build a Mint-Debian in the near future. :mrgreen:
eeezzzeee

Post by eeezzzeee »

I know at this point Mint based off Debian is just something some people are kicking around, but I was curious to know if the project did gain traction and Mint did switch bases would Mint still offer things like restricted drivers and programs like firefox through its own repos?
I built a Debian XFCE install a while back that I liked, but I could not stand ice weasel (I know it is supposed to be unbranded firefox, but it was unpolished and didn't work as well on certain sites). I like the idea of a Debian base, but not if it means losing the simplicity, out of the box usuability, and polish of Mint as it is now. Just curious as to the changes, if any, a Debian base would mean for Mint.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If we changed the base of the main edition to Debian there will of course be changes but we will keep it "as it is" when it comes to apps and feel and the like
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Is the hivemind active again or something? I start looking at playing with Debian Lenny and this topic pops back up again :lol:

@vrkalak:
I think I would be one of the first in line for that tutorial :lol: I'm planning to attempt a Debian Lenny install with the 2.6.30 kernel (and Pidgin 2.6.3) from the Lenny Backports repository, to play around with. I'm pondering Squeeze, though I'm not that confident in my ability to fix things if they break. OTOH, I've been watching my Gloria install crumble slowly apart no matter what I do, so then I start thinking "Can it be as bad as this?" :roll:

@eeezzzeee:
Agree about Iceweasel/Icecat. I tried Maybeway's "Mint Debian"/Glacix a while back and was very pleased with what I saw.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I've been watching my Gloria install crumble slowly apart
Eh?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Not sure if this would interest anyone here but I've put together a little script for making a Debian Testing build from a basic net install installation. It's based on xfce but can modified to suit your needs :)
Last edited by msuggs on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Any new updates to the Mint-Debian project?
Husse

Post by Husse »

We have to fix the fluxbox and KDE releases in Mint 8 - not to forget XFCE before any work is done on this
deleted

Post by deleted »

Just installed xfce sidux, then gnome, then mintMenu in a VM... Nothin' but net. ;)
Granted, I wouldn't use this for prime time, but it can be done.
-Hinto
atovinov

Post by atovinov »

This Mint+Debian concept is a good idea. I have recently installed the Glacix 8 experimental version. It is a sweet version of Mint Squeeze. There is plenty of potential in this combination.
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

If I can't get Mint 8 to work on this machine, then I wonder if I will get Mint 9 to work. Just in case, I have a Debian partition (with some minor mods) set up, since Lenny will be old stable for a while yet. By then I should have a newer machine, we hope.

So, to bring it all back on topic, it would be really lovely if there was a Debian Mint CE to go with the Debian Mint 'talk.' :)
Weegee

Post by Weegee »

Where can I find a post (or list) with all arguments why Linux Mint should/shouldn't be based on Debian Testing? In my opinion this is a very important issue, because Ubuntu (or rather Canonical) takes too many steps in the wrong direction (non-free Single-Sign-On system, Ubuntu One, Social Desktop, ...) :?
tawan

Post by tawan »

This is Clem saying it should be based on Testing or possibly Unstable .. many parts of this same thread have people saying for or against.
Weegee wrote:Where can I find a post (or list) with all arguments why Linux Mint should/shouldn't be based on Debian Testing? In my opinion this is a very important issue, because Ubuntu (or rather Canonical) takes too many steps in the wrong direction (non-free Single-Sign-On system, Ubuntu One, Social Desktop, ...) :?
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

ikey wrote:For anybody who is interested, the Debian Testing ISO's (i386) are now back online.
There was a build error involving debian-installer.
So maybe people can get back on track? :lol:

- Ikey Doherty
Is there a current testing iso that we can play around with? 8)
Gnarly

Post by Gnarly »

ikey wrote:
Gnarly wrote:
ikey wrote:For anybody who is interested, the Debian Testing ISO's (i386) are now back online.
There was a build error involving debian-installer.
So maybe people can get back on track? :lol:

- Ikey Doherty
Is there a current testing iso that we can play around with? 8)
Gnarly I meant the actual Debian ISO's..
Also from my check, I posted that message Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:37 pm
Ok thanks. im not interested in an "actual Debian iso" only one with a twist of Mint! lol

Yes I know when you posted. Thanks for the reply. :D
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Not sure how this project is going but you may be interested in CrunchBang Statler:)
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

GOOD BLESS YOU CLEM!!!
Mint Debian is going to be the best linux ever!!!!!
ginjabunny

Post by ginjabunny »

I really like the idea of switching Mint to a rolling release based on Debian (or maybe another, like Arch), like many people I get frustrated by the 6 month release cycle which Ubuntu uses and that they refuse to push out version updates to some products between releases. Like many, I am indebted to those who created Ubuntuzilla allowing us to get the latest Firefox and Thunderbird and not have to wait for months.

I notice that there has been a lot of unrest in the Ubuntu world stemming from some of the decisions that Cononical have been making about 10.04, I am sure that Clem will correct many of these while creating Mint 9, here's hoping :?:

I have been using Mint since v3 and am sticking with it for now because I love it, but there is in the back on my mind the thought of having a go at Arch just because of the reasons above.

Just thought I'd stick my oar in :D

_!!_
baffle-boy

Post by baffle-boy »

... i was thinking about how awesome mint based on debian would be... untill i remembered i only use KDE and hate GNOME :shock: ... why not make a kde-debian-mint version... lol i've never actually used debian before... but doesn't it use KDE anyways? :o
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

baffle-boy wrote:i've never actually used debian before... but doesn't it use KDE anyways? :o
GNOME is the default, but you can choose to install KDE or Xfce instead.

Return to “LMDE Archive”