Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint Debian

Post by Husse »

We have to fix the fluxbox and KDE releases in Mint 8 - not to forget XFCE before any work is done on this
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

deleted

Post by deleted »

Just installed xfce sidux, then gnome, then mintMenu in a VM... Nothin' but net. ;)
Granted, I wouldn't use this for prime time, but it can be done.
-Hinto

atovinov
Level 1
Level 1

Post by atovinov »

This Mint+Debian concept is a good idea. I have recently installed the Glacix 8 experimental version. It is a sweet version of Mint Squeeze. There is plenty of potential in this combination.

Fluxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fluxx »

If I can't get Mint 8 to work on this machine, then I wonder if I will get Mint 9 to work. Just in case, I have a Debian partition (with some minor mods) set up, since Lenny will be old stable for a while yet. By then I should have a newer machine, we hope.

So, to bring it all back on topic, it would be really lovely if there was a Debian Mint CE to go with the Debian Mint 'talk.' :)
Now running a slightly modified Debian Lenny.

Weegee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Weegee »

Where can I find a post (or list) with all arguments why Linux Mint should/shouldn't be based on Debian Testing? In my opinion this is a very important issue, because Ubuntu (or rather Canonical) takes too many steps in the wrong direction (non-free Single-Sign-On system, Ubuntu One, Social Desktop, ...) :?

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan »

This is Clem saying it should be based on Testing or possibly Unstable .. many parts of this same thread have people saying for or against.
Weegee wrote:Where can I find a post (or list) with all arguments why Linux Mint should/shouldn't be based on Debian Testing? In my opinion this is a very important issue, because Ubuntu (or rather Canonical) takes too many steps in the wrong direction (non-free Single-Sign-On system, Ubuntu One, Social Desktop, ...) :?

Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gnarly »

ikey wrote:For anybody who is interested, the Debian Testing ISO's (i386) are now back online.
There was a build error involving debian-installer.
So maybe people can get back on track? :lol:

- Ikey Doherty
Is there a current testing iso that we can play around with? 8)

Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Gnarly »

ikey wrote:
Gnarly wrote:
ikey wrote:For anybody who is interested, the Debian Testing ISO's (i386) are now back online.
There was a build error involving debian-installer.
So maybe people can get back on track? :lol:

- Ikey Doherty
Is there a current testing iso that we can play around with? 8)
Gnarly I meant the actual Debian ISO's..
Also from my check, I posted that message Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:37 pm
Ok thanks. im not interested in an "actual Debian iso" only one with a twist of Mint! lol

Yes I know when you posted. Thanks for the reply. :D

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Not sure how this project is going but you may be interested in CrunchBang Statler:)

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

GOOD BLESS YOU CLEM!!!
Mint Debian is going to be the best linux ever!!!!!

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny »

I really like the idea of switching Mint to a rolling release based on Debian (or maybe another, like Arch), like many people I get frustrated by the 6 month release cycle which Ubuntu uses and that they refuse to push out version updates to some products between releases. Like many, I am indebted to those who created Ubuntuzilla allowing us to get the latest Firefox and Thunderbird and not have to wait for months.

I notice that there has been a lot of unrest in the Ubuntu world stemming from some of the decisions that Cononical have been making about 10.04, I am sure that Clem will correct many of these while creating Mint 9, here's hoping :?:

I have been using Mint since v3 and am sticking with it for now because I love it, but there is in the back on my mind the thought of having a go at Arch just because of the reasons above.

Just thought I'd stick my oar in :D

_!!_

baffle-boy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by baffle-boy »

... i was thinking about how awesome mint based on debian would be... untill i remembered i only use KDE and hate GNOME :shock: ... why not make a kde-debian-mint version... lol i've never actually used debian before... but doesn't it use KDE anyways? :o

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

baffle-boy wrote:i've never actually used debian before... but doesn't it use KDE anyways? :o
GNOME is the default, but you can choose to install KDE or Xfce instead.

linuxopjemac
Level 2
Level 2

Post by linuxopjemac »

If anyone likes to help me, I have a running Debian system with Mint LXDE on a powerpc arch (Apple PowerBook). Everything works, but I am not very familiar with making install CD's. I need some help.

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

I have the Isadora RC (not yet installed) and I'm wondering what would happen if I immediately replaced the lucid repos with debian testing?

From what I understand, the latest ubuntu was actually based off Testing rather than Sid so it shouldn't be too awkward.

Although Lucid runs perfectly, I am a bit off with the direction ubuntu is taking. Seems to be more about style/image over function (look at the semi-functional/unfinished indicator menus for example) and it seems MR S is wanting to dictate which direction everyone else is going to have to follow.

I would rather be head back to a "proper" debian base, which is where I started with linux.
Anyhoo, I have a spare partition so I have nothing to lose by trying it.

deleted

Post by deleted »

@shayney
I had a previous post about installing sidux (Debian SID) and then installing mintTools on top of that.
I did this in a VM but never used it in "production"
-Hinto

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney »

I'm not so sure about using a Sid base. I did use Sid (and then sidux) for quite a while and I found gnome to be a bit flaky at times.

Rather than install mint then change the sources I have decided to install a debian testing CD and then add the mint stuff and see how that goes.

deleted

Post by deleted »

yes, gnome + SID has been problematic (so I hear). I used the KDE sidux and I suppose the XFCE version would be fine to.
I used sidux in a production development environment with only 2 (non-fatal) hiccups in 6 years.
-Hinto

den1m
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den1m »

popsad wrote:having used Mepis 7 Now since the beginning of the year and 6.5 prior to that i am very keen to try out Mint debian as i have found when running mepis that it was very stable although it used debian etch.

Even during the testing on mepis 7 because it was so good and reliable i ran it as my main distro, but now that i have been using Mint although only for a few days , i am very impressed with it, so if there is an installable version of mint debian i would certainly like to test it out, i am actually using it at this moment.Although from a live cd. :D

Mepis has given me problems running both ide and sata drives, mainly in the boot menu setup, but when i installed mint i had no problems even booted of the ide drive which mepis could not do for some reason.

:D
Mint based on debian lenny rather than testing would really be something. One uberstable version and one more bleeding edge ubuntu-based version.

I like simplymepis, but theyre not by any means as polished as linux mint plus a lack of language support (i speak norwegian) so i dont use it. Even though its the older lenny, they add brand new software and such. Im really exited about this, espec. if you make mint just like it is now "on the surface", but with a more stable core/base to run on, i think it will be a huge sucess.

ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

I got a little impatient waiting for Linux Mint 9 Debian, so I played around with Debian Squeeze and installed most of the Mint packages from the repo. One of the packages required thunderbird, and since it is not installable on debian, mint-meta-main I think was not installed.

Can't wait for the real thing though!

Return to “LMDE Archive”