Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1
rbpyogesh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Debian

Post by rbpyogesh » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply Clem,

I hope you introduce an KDE based version of Debian as well...

It would be quite useful if this version is very light on Resources...I am not talking about LXDE version but the main version itself...

deleted

Post by deleted » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:57 pm

This is really great!!! Tho I have no problems going from one Mint release to the next, rolling releases are really fantastic.
-H

alpha1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by alpha1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 am

Clem, will the debian edition be as usable out of box as the ubuntu edition?
Or it will require tweaking and using command line?

PS: Hinto, the Ubuntu/Mint LTS IS a rolling release!

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 am

There will be a few rough edges. What comes to mind for instance is the installation of 3D drivers, the activation of compiz, the lack of graphical splash at boot (I'm not happy with Plymouth at the moment so I decided not to put it in LMDE) etc... there are a few things that were developed by Canonical and not ported to Debian, so for this we'll need to port things or develop alternatives. But overall it aims at being as user-friendly and desktop-ready.

Clem.

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 am

Well, speaking as somebody that knows how to install his own 3d drivers, hates compiz and wouldn't run a bootsplash if you paid me - it sounds ideal :D

Just tell me it is not on DVD only - please!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

Just curious Clem...regarding the "rough edges" aspect (including the lack of graphical boot splash, drivers for 3d, etc as you mentioned...)...as a "rolling distribution" can those "rough edges" be sent over as updates when they are "smoothed out" or "added", or would one require an entirely new install to get them?
I never used an OS with a "rolling system" before so pardon my ignorance :wink:

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:17 am

i been following this topic here and there, but now it's getting "hot" :)

In the last 2 weeks i've tried to go closer to Debian as possible ( and my skills allow it): Lenny, Squeeze, Sidux, Mepis and there's always one or more big issues that stop me from switch totally.

The one that comes closer in my short list of must have is sidux: KDE version, ease to put everything working when they don't work o.o.b.
But fails, or it's me!, to settle my wireless (damn Broadcom!!!)

Last night i remembered Jockey.gtk, but as Clem says here http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/23 it was not ported upstream.
And thanks Clem for thinking in solve that.

[ bliss of ignorance ]

deleted

Post by deleted » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:27 am

There's a hold on sidux according to their news :(
-H

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:49 am

I've had a little play recently, started with Debian testing then updated using the Mint-Debian and Debian-Multimedia Debian-Testing repositories, a few observations which I assume you are addressing

1) Debian install does not seem to include "non-free" drivers (inc some network cards), will you include these in the iso?
2) For system level changes Debian uses root authentication as opposed to Ubuntu's sudo route, are you going to stick with sudo or allow a choice?
3) Hopefully you will remove the annoying root only shutdown policy?

Glad to see the spirit of Husse is included :-)

I can't wait.
GB

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:00 am

I don't care much if it is slightly rougher around the edges than the Ubuntu-based version. It makes it all the more fun to mess with. I'd actually prefer it if many of the Ubuntu-specific software was kept out. otherwise it ends up contaminating the Debian base with "fixes" and we might as well not be running a different version.

olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olligod » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 am

ginjabunny wrote:I've had a little play recently, started with Debian testing then updated using the Mint-Debian and Debian-Multimedia Debian-Testing repositories, a few observations which I assume you are addressing

1) Debian install does not seem to include "non-free" drivers (inc some network cards), will you include these in the iso?
2) For system level changes Debian uses root authentication as opposed to Ubuntu's sudo route, are you going to stick with sudo or allow a choice?
3) Hopefully you will remove the annoying root only shutdown policy?

Glad to see the spirit of Husse is included :-)

I can't wait.
GB
It is easy to introduce sudo policy: Create a group (admin is used in Ubuntu) that is allowed everything and anything under sudo policy
(command visudo should be used to edit the sudoers file -- with certain locking mechanisms. See Ubuntu-based examples).
All users that are to be rightful sudoers must be included in that group that has full sudo rights.
(of course that happens in /etc/group or via the system settings gui's).
If you ever created a 2nd user under Ubuntu you had to do that as well in order to give that account the sudo rights that the 1st user account (created at install time) has by default.

That means you may have to tweak 2 config files. But I guess for somebody that mixes Debian and Mint repositories just like that, that should be doable...
Just for info.

If we were to vote about it though - I'd also have "sudo the Ubuntu Way" included in Mint Debian.

... And actually,

I CAN'T WAIT EITHER !!

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:38 am

I was just curious..and although i previously asked this of clem on this thread (but no doubt he is very busy..i am sure he doesn't get too much time to scan the forum) i was wondering if anyone who has HAD experience with rolling distros before, know if the type of rough edges that Clem mentioned...as for example, a lack of a boot splash screen at the beginning (until they figure out something to add for that) can those type of things be sent "down the pike" as an an update to you? Or is that the type of thing that would require a complete re-install?

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 am

I would assume rough edges is more to do with teething troubles that any new distro (kind of) is going to face.
I would also assume these rough edges would naturally be ironed out through the upgrade process.

Taking the splash as an example, if it was decided mint was going to use plymouth or splashy or something it would be added to the main mint or mint-artwork metapackage so would be pulled in automatically in due course.

Regarding the sudo situation.
I could have sworn my last play with testing a few weeks ago DID use sudo.

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:20 am

shayney wrote:I could have sworn my last play with testing a few weeks ago DID use sudo.
Testing asks you if you want to enable or disable root login during the installation. I assume this also determines whether sudo is used or not.

Craig_Dem
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Craig_Dem » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:14 pm

I also use arch which is rolling release. The only problem I could forsee is an upgrade of system software such as the kernel or xorg. For example, for xorg 1.8, HAL was removed and udev is used instead. Precautions were taken though and everything worked (udev as a dependancy etc). A kernel upgrade could also cause some stuff not to work. But again, can cause more things to work. Thats the only problems I can see with rolling release.
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor | ATI Radeon X1200 | Arch Linux | Gnome
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | NVIDIA GeForce 9400 | Mac OS X 10.6.4 |
If your question is answered edit your topic title and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of it.

mintnoob
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mintnoob » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:47 pm

It has begun!
Chakra Linux

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

dagnammit! I'm really getting into KDE now :(
Think I might have to keep with kubuntu or mint kde until a mint debian kde edition comes along :)

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:14 pm

I recently got into kde like you, thanks to mint 9 kde...but i think i am ready to come back to gnome again for this...i am very anxious to go debian with a rolling release... :wink:

Probably wouldn't be that hard for me to go back...i never really thought gnome was so "bad looking" as some say...i agree KDE has that extra "pretty touch" but the novelty of that wears off after a while, i noticed...so, mint debian gnome with rolling release, i'm ready for you...that is as soon as the iso is declared "stable" by Clem :lol:

I did discover there are a few kde programs i really love, but i will just port them over to the gnome side...easy enough to do... :)

I agree it is tough once you have start getting accustomed to KDE...of course if this really takes off (which i believe it will) then hopefully, they will offer: gnome 32/64 bit and KDE 32/64 bit....i think the demand will definitely be there for sure...

Question is: can i be patient and wait for that :lol:

mfdemicco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mfdemicco » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:43 am

I can't wait until it's released. Will it be as fast as sidux? Also, in sidux, the devs claim that you should only use apt and not any of the GUI package managers because apt is the only one that can keep track of all the changes in a rolling release. Is this an issue with Mint Debian?

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:49 am

sidux powers that be are VERY adamant about using apt rather than synaptic and others.
Though it has been said that is mainly to do with Sid.
Of course PCLinuxOS is also an up to date rolling release and they recommend using synaptic.
Guess it depends who you consider to be more "expert"?

I personally have too many preferences for certain KDE apps over gnome now so I doubt I will go back and my number one must have app is KDE too - digikam.

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”