Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1
yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Debian

Post by yarrgh » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:43 pm

Kodachi wrote:@ikey - working on it now.
As am I

Edit:
Also, I did notice that if you make a seperate partition for the home directory it will not create the /home directory for you or it doesn't mount it for you. I didn't really check. But, if you do on one partition everything works great. Well, everything but the hang in the installer :)
Last edited by yarrgh on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justin » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 pm

That was the culprit on line 442 of the pastebin.
Replacing commands.getoutput with os.system fixed the issue, I did not get a hangup during APT cleanup, installer exited successfully.
Upon reboot, the system logged in normally and was able to perform a sudo apt-get update without generating any dpkg errors.

Seems to be the fix...

yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Kodachi wrote:That was the culprit on line 442 of the pastebin.
Replacing commands.getoutput with os.system fixed the issue, I did not get a hangup during APT cleanup, installer exited successfully.
Upon reboot, the system logged in normally and was able to perform a sudo apt-get update without generating any dpkg errors.

Seems to be the fix...
Confirmed! :D

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:51 pm

@ikey, what would be the recommended way of installing Nvidia Video driver for Mint Debian?

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 pm

ikey wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:@ikey, what would be the recommended way of installing Nvidia Video driver for Mint Debian?
Not sure how others would do it, probably install from repos or use the nvidia website.
Either that or use smgfxi as Steely pointed out to me, check out http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
Ok, thanks ikey.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 am

Sweeeeet! Thanks Dev Team!
KDE Neon

yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:30 am

There should be a user friendly way of installing proprietary drivers.

[edit]
I mean a newbie friendly way.

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:47 am

yarrgh wrote:There should be a user friendly way of installing proprietary drivers.

[edit]

I got my Nvidia driver installed from these steps.

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDr ... ia-xconfig

yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 am

mmesantos1 wrote:
yarrgh wrote:There should be a user friendly way of installing proprietary drivers.

[edit]

I downloaded the driver from nvidia's website, stopped the x server, ran the installer, restarted the x server. Not hard. Would be a lot easier with a tool like the one provided in ubuntu.

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 am

yarrgh wrote:
mmesantos1 wrote:

[edit]

I downloaded the driver from nvidia's website, stopped the x server, ran the installer, restarted the x server. Not hard. Would be a lot easier with a tool like the one provided in ubuntu.
When I was testing the ISO,s I did make mention of a tool for installing proprietary drivers will be needed for novices. I am sure one will be coming in future releases.

steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:08 am

Starting the download now of the iso that was put up on 09042010. Can't wait to get it d/l'ed and burned.

@Ikey, i wanted to comment on the community site but am unable to. what makes that "gentleman" think pre-load is
a good idea? It sounded to me like it would bog down an install iso and weigh heavy on the cpu(s). And if it opens
apps/ software that the user did not want open then it is a time consumer.
debian or bust

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:30 am

Thought I would add some quick early feedback here (seems as good a place as any).

debian edition did get through the installer without issue (other than a slightly loopy progress bar).
So on to the issues I did encounter:

No option to select the grub install partition, MBR only.
Any manually specified partitions were a problem.
I have several partitions but I ignored most just selected my data partition and my kubuntu partition to be used.

Neither would mount after install, turns out the mountpoints weren't created at all and fstab was quite messed up.
The partition type for my fat32 data partition used "fat32" as the partition type instead of vfat.
My ext3 kubuntu partition had and even stranger partition type in fstab - "Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-14-generic (ext3)" instead of just ext3.

darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:00 am

Ok, I was able to install the latest nvidia drivers but running sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop did not stop the x server...ended up dropping to a shell then invoking the init 1 command which booted me back to the desktop, then I dropped back to a shell and was able to install the driver with the sh ./NVXXXXX command. I have awn and compiz running fine. I had to run compiz from a terminal...
Other than that.....I have my conky running, so its really like Im running that LMUE w/o the bugs :)

frsu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frsu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 am

Unfortunately same problem here with the wireless on my Asus 1000H as with Mint 9. Probably the kernel is the same. And that kernel is not working fine with my Ralink chipset.

First connection goes fast, then it breaks and does not come back anymore, :?

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 am

A major downside for the debian edition is that there is no alsa backports modules like there is in ubuntu/mint.
Without that there is no way to get any sound on my card without going the manual compilation way which I won't.

steveo314
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steveo314 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:33 am

LMDE is AWESOME!!! Good job, Clem. Though it isnt your finally spin im running it is still awesome.

@Ikey- Concerning the "Cleaning APT" hang....for now you can get by it by clicking quit and then rebooting
minus the liveDVD/ installDVD.

@shayney- what sound card are you using???
debian or bust

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:10 am

I got this while trying to install in VirtualBox 3.2.8; the installer simply hangs. It happened as the partition was scanning the drive right after selecting the keyboard layout:

Code: Select all

mint@mint ~ $ sudo live-installer
** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/live-installer-slideshow/slides/link/prototype.js @988: TypeError: Result of expression 'container' [undefined] is not an object.

** Message: console message: file:///usr/share/live-installer-slideshow/slides/index.html#?locale=en @113: TypeError: Result of expression 'element' [null] is not an object.

Exception in thread live-installer-disk-search:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
    self.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 484, in run
    self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/live-installer/frontend/gtk_interface.py", line 593, in build_partitions
    disk = parted.Disk(device)
  File "<string>", line 2, in __init__
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/parted/decorators.py", line 31, in localeC
    ret = fn(*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/parted/disk.py", line 51, in __init__
    self.__disk = _ped.Disk(device.getPedDevice())
DiskLabelException: /dev/sda: unrecognised disk label
Let me know if you need any other info.

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:42 am

steveo314 wrote:@shayney- what sound card are you using???
According to lshw:
5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
In sound preferences in various distros it is listed as ALC259 (Realtek I believe).

Without alsa backports it won't work and is listed as something else - Intel G45 DEVIBX.

I don't pretend to understand the whole linux audio stuff at all, alsa, pulse etc it all goes above my head but all I do know is that out of the box my soundcard won't work with ANY debian based distro (except ubuntu maverick) but works with EVERY RPM distro.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:30 am

Am I correct in thinking that what's out there right now is not yet a final release? Could someone please explain?

nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nadir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 am

shayney wrote:
steveo314 wrote:@shayney- what sound card are you using???
According to lshw:
5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio
In sound preferences in various distros it is listed as ALC259 (Realtek I believe).

Without alsa backports it won't work and is listed as something else - Intel G45 DEVIBX.

I don't pretend to understand the whole linux audio stuff at all, alsa, pulse etc it all goes above my head but all I do know is that out of the box my soundcard won't work with ANY debian based distro (except ubuntu maverick) but works with EVERY RPM distro.
Have a look here:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 49#p312248
The way i know stevepusser he usually gives very good advice.
A short search for your sound-card gave some promising links. Good luck.

PS: in the how-to section is also a how-to installing nvidia the debian way (+ the 500 other ways :-) )

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”