Mint Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1
nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint Debian

Post by nadir » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 am

15 minutes remaining for the download to finish. Then i will have a look at it. Good news.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:49 am

if you didn't downloaded the iso present in several mirrors, don't do it now!
Clem is going to make a re-spin to clear that bug in the installer

more info here
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1518

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Sude
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sude » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:12 am

Is it normal for apt to update man-db after each package? It's taking forever to install the updates

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:07 am

MALsPa wrote:Am I correct in thinking that what's out there right now is not yet a final release? Could someone please explain?
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1518

Joe

ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ginjabunny » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 am

good and bad news here

Good - works fine on my battered old test Dell Latitude D600 laptop :)

Bad - totally unusable on my Toshiba Satellite L30-10V, which is my main laptop, seems to boot sometimes as live and will install but once installed and I logon I just get a screen that fills with horizontal lines and gradually fills the screen and all I can do is switch it off, I have installed it 3 times this morning. The curse of the ATI Radeon Xpress 200M mobile chipset strikes again, maybe it's time to buy a laptop with better supported hardware as this one has been nothing but trouble on the Linux front. :(

On all installs, I had the problem of it not creating the user folder in /home.

Will wait to see if a later version helps with the bad, unless I can find a video driver.

GB

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 am

All set up and working on my machine now and at first glance it looks very good. The only problem I had was the inability to choose where to put grub as part of the install process. The available choices were mbr or nowhere. I had to choose nowhere then install it to the partition from the live cd - a bit of a fiddle, but it worked. I would say that needs some looking at.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:51 am

ginjabunny wrote:On all installs, I had the problem of it not creating the user folder in /home.
The source of that problem has been found.

justin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 am

@Randomizer - that Virtualbox issue is something being looked at. You can make partitions manually using fdisk or gparted and refresh the installer. They will be detected.

Kinda a pain as a workaround, but yes - known bug and being worked on.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:38 am

Have played with it in Virtualbox for several hours and have the following comments:
-Sound only works partially (headphones only). Tried all known fixes that worked in Mint Isadora and was unsuccessful.
-Pulseaudio config will not work for me at all - freezes.
-Installed ATI fglrx driver: Only 2D driver available. 3D driver must be compiled from source for kernel (no thanks)
-Virtualbox issues: Were discussed above, I already figured out a workaround (making partition table).

For now I will stick with Mint 9 Isadora - works so nice for me without needing fixes/workarounds and no noticeable bugs. Keep up the good work on LMDE. I guess Debian just doesn't play nice with my hardware. When I upgrade to a newer laptop I'll try again.
KDE Neon

yarrgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yarrgh » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:55 am

I've also notice I don't see the plymouth theme when starting up. Never saw it when I ran the live installer and after I installed. Apparently when clem and the others ran the tests, they succeeded. No such luck for me.

shayney
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shayney » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:07 am

@ yarrgh
Plymouth (or any splash) is not part of the debian edition at this stage, I believe this is due to clem not being happy with it's problems.
However, I did try installing plymouth myself and it ran fine (on intel hardware).

@nadir
The link you posted regarding my sound card does work, to an extent.
I have tried that method before and certain things work (laptop speakers) and others don't (hdmi output when connected to external TV amongst others, headphone output very crackly).
I could probably work out those issues but it is going against my ultimate aim of an out-of-the-box dekstop without any compiling or adding of repos.
From further reading it seems all my sound issues should be solved in kernels 2.6.33 and upwards which testing doesn't have yet.

Susu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Susu » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:23 pm

Installed it from the "faulty" ISO without any problems. Mint Update freezes when performing the first upgrade, but no problem with that (dpkg --configure -a solved it all). So far I'm quite impressed. Need more time to compile samsung-tools and I'm curious if my toudpad will be supported the way I want. Nice work Clem and all!
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...

Anonymo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anonymo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:14 pm

shayney wrote: @nadir
The link you posted regarding my sound card does work, to an extent.
I have tried that method before and certain things work (laptop speakers) and others don't (hdmi output when connected to external TV amongst others, headphone output very crackly).
I could probably work out those issues but it is going against my ultimate aim of an out-of-the-box dekstop without any compiling or adding of repos.
From further reading it seems all my sound issues should be solved in kernels 2.6.33 and upwards which testing doesn't have yet.
Have you tried OSS for sound, instead of ALSA?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=52919

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Please forgive me if this sounds like a totall n00bie question, but:

What is to prevent anyone from installing Linux Mint (perhaps an older, rock-stable version like Mint Xfce 7 and 8 are) and then simply changing the repositories to Debian (Squeeze, Testing, Sid, whatever)?

Are they so far apart as to be incompatible?

Just wondering,
Robin

justin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Analogy approved.

Not a good idea, you'd have breakage about on those lines by just flipping the switches to change distro.

clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:38 pm

Robin: The packaging is compatible in terms of format (.deb), not in terms of organization. It's a bit like Spanish and French, they both use the Latin alphabet and they look quite similar to each other, they're quite different though, something might mean something in one and something else or nothing at all in the other. If you install an Ubuntu .deb in Debian, or vice-versa it could depend on other packages that don't exist in that distribution, it could also assume libraries are here instead of there, and so on.... to be brief, Mint has been 100% compatible with Ubuntu, and this edition is 100% compatible with Debian, but Debian and Ubuntu are not compatible distributions, there's a real fork between the two.

Clem.

zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Have anyone tried to change the Debian repos from testing to unstable? The faster fixing of breakages in Sid seems appealing to me.

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:53 pm

@ikey and/or Clem: I'm going to install the current "approved" build which I downloaded before it was "yanked" as it makes for a fine learning experience and as an old geek I simply can't resist. :D I already have separate /root and /home partitions that is currently used for Mint Main (not to worry, I dual boot) so if I run into the problem of the LMDE install not creating my user directory in the /home partition ( or whatever the problem is exactly), what's the best way to correct that once LMDE is installed?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:12 pm

ikey wrote:@kmb42vt : Before installing upgrade the installer. Should actually solve the issues.
Failing that, when it boots up and fails to install due to no /home (old installer) just
switch to tty1(CTRL+ALT+F1) login as root and do this (assuming your username is SOMEUSER :P):

Code: Select all

mkdir /home/SOMEUSER
chown SOMEUSER /home/SOMEUSER
Got it. Thanks! Now to upgrade the installer in the live session it should be as simple as opening up the terminal and typing in: "sudo apt-get upgrade mintinstall" if I remember correctly? I know it may sound like a stupid question but I've been using Mint for so long, me old brain has (willingly) forgotten a bit about the not-so-user-friendly days.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:25 pm

ikey wrote:@kmb42vt:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install live-installer
Should do the trick. Or use mintUpdate :) (the lock icon on the tray, deselect all but live-installer)
Thank you much, sir. Using mintUpdate just seemed too easy. I keep forgetting this is Mint we're talking about and not some other non-user-friendly Debian derived distro. You guys are going to set an all new Debian based standard and distro here if you're not careful :mrgreen:

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”