Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
LMDE 2 support ends on 1-1-2019
psych1610
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint Debian

Post by psych1610 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:31 am

Hey everyone I just read through all 12 pages of this and its fantastic. I'm so glad to see it! Unfortunately I'm none too technical and none too artistic but if someone wants to tell me what to do I can try and do it. I'm more than willing to do what I can.

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm working on making a proper install CD for this by using simple-cdd. I am going to use the mint tools in Romeo and make a Debian sid version. When Lenny gets released as stable I will also release another Lenny version.
First I have to figure out simple-cdd, so I'm learning about it now.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:46 pm

maybeway36, your efforts are very much appreciated.

sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sundayrefugee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 am

Wow - if you can tame Sid GNOME to a Mint-worthy level, you are indeed skilled ;-)

Any thought to how you're going to certify the bi-weekly updates? That was my stopping point.

JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:25 pm

I asked about the thread the other day. Someone said there was a thread and here it is. I am very interested in this project, I just have to find time to read through it.

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:19 pm

I can't get simple-cdd to work on anything other than etch, so what I'm going to do is release a live CD with the mint packages installable via apt-cdrom, just like last time but now with updated packages from lenny.
Thanks for your comments. It's nice to know that there are people who like this :)

rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rivenought » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:45 pm

There are plenty of us out here who are interested in this project. I just wish I knew how to do some programming to be able to help out. I am wishing you good luck in getting this pulled together.

After seeing Sidux mentioned in some previous posts, I have been dabbling with it. It is impressive, but I have gotten spoiled with Mint. The future versions of Mint certainly are going to be exciting and quite possibly diverse.

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:38 pm

The new version has been uploaded to FileFront.
MintDebianOct26.iso (Live CD/Install - 698MB - MD5: ca94d277a608e8e17990428b1609f6b1)
MintDebianOct26InstallOnly.iso (Live CD/Install - 35MB - MD5: 91408f4b91a3ba52eaf9dce5a6193682)

Changes from the last version:
  • Packages have been upgraded to the latest Debian lenny versions as of October 26, 2008.
  • The Linux Mint tools have been upgraded to their Romeo versions.
  • A new ISOLINUX splash screen has been added, with a little information for each boot option and the Debian and Mint logos on the bottom.
ImageImage

As always, source code is available from Linux Mint, Debian, and debian-multimedia.

Note: If you want to install most of the codecs, you will need to add the debian-multimedia.org repository to your system before installing mint-debian, and if you want Sun Java you need to enable Debian contrib and non-free.

badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:17 am

Started downloading this, but it was taking a ridiculously long time. :(

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:50 pm

If you are going to install it anyway, grab the install-only disc - most of the data will be downloaded from Debian's large and fast server network.
I'll look into making a torrent, but I'm not sure how many people are going to seed it. :P

EDIT: The torrent is up on LinuxTracker (that was fast:) http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 1f2cc6bdfe

If you can, please download the ISOs from FileFront, place them into a directory called MintDebianOct26, then start seeding with your torrent client.
Last edited by maybeway36 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phillc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phillc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm

I tried the Net Install, but my wireless firmware wasn't included (iwlwifi), and I don't have it available externally. This meant I was unable to configure a network and thus continue.

I hope you get this working as I ran Lenny as my main desktop for over 6 months, and really enjoyed it apart from a few frustrations (mostly around IEEE1394 and the latest Debian kernel) before switching to Mint.

phillc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phillc » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:18 pm

Unfortunately, even after downloading my wireless firmware (http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads), putting it on a USB stick and trying again, the installer could not configure my network with DHCP, so no mirrors were found.

Maybe I'll give the full ISO a try.

rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rivenought » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Maybeway36,

Well, I can help out by seeding as much as possible. Thanks for that link to Linux Tracker. I have Transmission all cranked up.

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 pm

phillc wrote:Unfortunately, even after downloading my wireless firmware (http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads), putting it on a USB stick and trying again, the installer could not configure my network with DHCP, so no mirrors were found.

Maybe I'll give the full ISO a try.
The full ISO has the same installer as the small one, so that won't help you. What you need is this:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
Get CD1 or DVD1 of Lenny beta 2, then install the "standard system." Then see if you can configure your wireless.
Alternatively, you might need to plug it in via Ethernet cable, if your computer supports it.

phillc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phillc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:38 am

maybeway36 wrote: The full ISO has the same installer as the small one, so that won't help you. What you need is this:
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
Get CD1 or DVD1 of Lenny beta 2, then install the "standard system." Then see if you can configure your wireless.
Alternatively, you might need to plug it in via Ethernet cable, if your computer supports it.
OK, I may try that.

What I did attempt to do was download a .deb of the required firmware, available from a link on the page you've pointed to above. I put that an a USB stick, loaded the Mint Debian Live CD (after downloading the full ISO from above) and thought to install the firmware, to check that everything would work fine before I install.

Unfortunately, the live CD wouldn't mount my USB stick. It appeared as a mount, with icon etc, but when trying to access it I am returned a dbus HAL permission error.

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:11 pm

phillc wrote:What I did attempt to do was download a .deb of the required firmware, available from a link on the page you've pointed to above. I put that an a USB stick, loaded the Mint Debian Live CD (after downloading the full ISO from above) and thought to install the firmware, to check that everything would work fine before I install.

Unfortunately, the live CD wouldn't mount my USB stick. It appeared as a mount, with icon etc, but when trying to access it I am returned a dbus HAL permission error.
That sounds like a problem with live-helper to me. I suppose you could try opening the terminal on the live CD and doing

Code: Select all

mkdir disk
sudo mount /dev/sd?? disk
replcaing sd?? with your USB disk. Alternatively, you could download the .deb from within the Live CD.
Linux and wifi do not get along well sometimes :P

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:19 pm

Hey, I'm willing to help in any way I can, so please let me know, is there a new iso for testing?

maybeway36
Level 3
Level 3

Post by maybeway36 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:42 pm

The Live/Install ISO is available from http://files.filefront.com/MintDebianOc ... einfo.html
The Install Only ISO is available from http://files.filefront.com/MintDebianOc ... einfo.html (much much smaller, but with no Live CD)
Both files can be downloaded via BitTorrent: http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 1f2cc6bdfe
The Linux Tracker page also has some general info on using and installing the CD.

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:09 am

thank you very much, :D I'll take a look at it

badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by badmotor » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Wow - I'm just taking a spin through the live cd of this now. I looks great! Seems to very snappy.
I have a couple of questions (please excuse me I haven't read the entire thread). What are the plans for this: will it receive updates? Are we just making a new .iso as we make improvements?
I see there is some nice artwork in the Debian artwork thread here, but none has been included?

Iceweasel seems to rendering font a little funny for me (especially in this forum).

Keep up all the good work!

Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”