Automatically unlock SSH key

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
beetlejuice7

Automatically unlock SSH key

Post by beetlejuice7 »

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring the keyring to unlock my SSH key when I log in.

I have set up a user account using the same password as my ssh key. My ssh key appears in the "my personal keys" tab. Under the passwords tab I have 2 listed, "default" and "login". I've tried dragging my private key, importing via the menu, not really sure what to do to get it to unlock automatically. This worked in ubuntu, fwiw.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Turolate

Re: Automatically unlock SSH key

Post by Turolate »

I have the exact same issue running LMDE Patch 4
beetlejuice7

Post by beetlejuice7 »

I have taken the passphrase off my key for now, but wonder if more people are having trouble with this. I tried copying some old keyring files from an ubuntu install (which was working btw) but no luck.
Turolate

Post by Turolate »

I just realized that if from caja (formerly known as nautilus) I try to login on a remote server using: ctrl+l ssh://username@server:port it never authenticated neither stores the password in the keyring.

I'm going to delete my existing keyring and try from scratch.
Turolate

Post by Turolate »

I installed the version of "nautilus" available in the repositories alongside "caja" and surprise surprise, the keyring works for both "nautilus" and "caja" now, only ssh is still not using the keyring.

I wonder if some component is missing from the default install.
beetlejuice7

Post by beetlejuice7 »

Nice find. Let me know if you figure out ssh.
Turolate

Post by Turolate »

I haven't found a solution yet for SSH... :cry:
Turolate

Post by Turolate »

For anybody suffering this issue, apparently the new MATE 1.4 solves the integration problems with the keyring.

Return to “LMDE Archive”