upgraded to firefox14 but flashplayer down't work

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
s80ts0465

upgraded to firefox14 but flashplayer down't work

Post by s80ts0465 »

Hi,

I upgraded to firefox 14 and the browser works, but there is no way to make flash player works.
I searched on the forum and web how to solve the problem andfrom what I've read I've to copy the libflashplayer.so file in the plugin directory of firefox, but it doesn't work.
Where have I to copy the libflashplayer.so filee?

Bye Ste
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: upgraded to firefox14 but flashplayer down't work

Post by viking777 »

My flashplayer failed as well after that update.
Rather than trying to move stuff around and create symlinks going round in circles (which is what flashplayer seems to consist of) I just reinstalled flashplugin-nonfree from the package manager (or install it if it isn't there) after that it worked again.
Give it a try and see if it does it for you.
s80ts0465

Post by s80ts0465 »

I've just tryed your solution, but the problem isn't solved.
I also tryed to install the other flasshplayer plugin from tthe package manager but without success.

Other possible solution?

Bye Ste
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

remove any version of flash you may have installed
delete pluginreg.dat in your firefox profile folder
reinstall flash using package manager
start firefox

check about:plugins

Shockwave Flash
File: /usr/lib/flashplayer-mozilla/libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202

Keep in mind some sites require newer versions of Flash which is not possible in Firefox, only Google Chrome has 11.3.

my Firefox plugins gecko-mediaplayer, kpartsplugin. Oracle java 7, flashplayer-mozilla/Adobe Flash 11.2.
Plugins
  • DivX Browser Plug-In
  • Java(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_05
  • KParts Plugin
  • mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.6
  • QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.9
  • RealPlayer 9
  • Shockwave Flash
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in
Sonsum

Post by Sonsum »

Have you tried flash-aid? It's an extension that seems to work great at installing the latest version of flash:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... flash-aid/
s80ts0465

Post by s80ts0465 »

Thanks, I'll try, even if I've installed Chromium and it's really faster than firefox, so most probably I'll continue to use Chromium.

Bye Ste
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Hi,
I just updated firefox to version 14, all of my plugins work fine. How did u do the upgrade?

I did mine like this: since firefox is still at version 12 from the mint repo, and I got a notice that there was a new version. I looked around the web for a .deb package to upgrade in place but had no luck.
So I did something different:
1) Downloaded the new version from here.
2) Unpacked it in the downloads directory.
3) Open any favorite file manager as root, navigate to the /opt directory.
4) Renamed firefox to firefox.bak in case of problems.
5) Copy the new version into /opt. Check plugins folder from the old version and copy to new version.
6) Run firefox and let it check plugins and extensions.
Done.

No problems, no broken links. Though in aptitude, firefox is still listed as version 12, you actually have version 14.0.1! If you want a .deb just run

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-repack firefox
and you have a firefox that's version 14 that you can reinstall anytime without losing any plugins. Now wasn't that easy as pie? :D
Last edited by titetanium on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s80ts0465

Post by s80ts0465 »

titetanium wrote: 5) Copy the new version into /opt. Check plugins folder from the old version and copy to new version.
My problem is that i cannot find the plugins folder! Where is it?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

My problem is that i cannot find the plugins folder! Where is it?
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

Does it for me.
craigevil

Post by craigevil »

Name: Shockwave Flash
Version: 11.2 r202

$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
flash-mozilla.so          gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so   libjavaplugin.so    nphelix.so
gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so  gecko-mediaplayer.so      libkpartsplugin.so  nphelix.xpt
gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so   gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so  libnpjp2.so         skypebuttons.so
I have 4 plugins enabled on Firefox
gecko-mediaplayer, flashplayer-mozilla/Adobe Flash, Oracle Java 7, kpartsplugin

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
Plugins
  • DivX Browser Plug-In
  • Java(TM) Plug-in 1.7.0_05
  • KParts Plugin
  • mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.6
  • QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.9
  • RealPlayer 9
  • Shockwave Flash
  • Windows Media Player Plug-in
I do not use Firefox from any repo instead I just download it directly from Mozilla. Never ran into any issues with plugins on any kind not working properly.
s80ts0465

Post by s80ts0465 »

I canot find the directory in usr/lib you indicated.
I'll try as you suggested.

Bye
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Do you have /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins? All of the plugins should be in that folder. You can symlink this to /opt/firefox/plugins.
That should work.
quixote

Post by quixote »

Same problem. In my case flashplayer isn't detected at all. NONE of my plugins are detected. about:plugins just shows the null plugin and nothing else. I have tried everything I can think of and I'm going nuts. (NUTS, I tell you!) I've tried asking over at the mozillazine forums, but they seem to be stumped.

I'm running LMDE Squeeze. I was running Firefox 5 because I didn't like the UI "improvements" and there were so many it was too much trouble to recustomize all the time. Firefox 14 looked good, though, so I installed it manually in /opt/ff14/firefox. It found all my bookmarks, themes, extensions, etc., etc. The only thing it totally blew off was the plugins.

And nothing I do seems to get them back. I tried installing flash manually, followed Adobe's directions to the last comma. Nothing. Before that I'd followed mozilla's various directions (about ten different pages). I tried reinstalling mint-flashplugin. I just tried the suggestions in this thread, including titetanium's, July 24. Nothing.

I'm reluctant to uninstall mint-flashplugin because (at least in synaptic) the whole debian desktop is considered a dependency and gets uninstalled too. :shock:

What the blankety-blank is going on? How do I fix this??
viking777

Post by viking777 »

quioxte, If you have done all that lot and flash still doesn't work your only answer is Chrome or Opera or something similar.

EDIT. On second thoughts have you tried flash-aid?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... flash-aid/

Never tried it myself, but you seem to have already done everything else there is to do.
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

@quixote,

Have you tried this:
-open file manager and check show hidden folders
-Navigate to .mozilla

mv .mozilla .mozilla.bak
-Restart firefox.
Does it detect the plugins automatically?
Extensions will need to be reinstalled afterwards
quixote

Post by quixote »

Yes, I did try flashaid. It's a great extension and I've used it to good effect once before. But this time, the URL that's hardcoded into the script goes to a page Adobe moved or deleted, so the whole script fails. Very annoying.

I also tried renaming .mozilla (to .mozilla-bak) and letting Firefox recreate it, but it still can't detect the flash plugin.

Which is interesting. What that suggests to me is that the problem is not in my ~/ config or profile files. Also, the plugin files are in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and symlinked in /opt/ff14/firefox/plugins. The first is supposed to be the standard location, I think. (Right?) If FF was using an absolute path, it should find it. This must mean FF is using a relative path to a directory somewhere among the system directories, one that can't handle the extra nesting caused by my ff14 directory.

Firefox could make everyone's life a lot easier if they TOLD us where this magical location is, and standardized it, and kept it consistent between versions, and let us know where, exactly, we could install firefox when doing it manually. (Grump, grump, grump.)

Anyway, I'll check that theory by putting firefox14 in /usr/lib/firefox and see what happens. Wish me luck.

(By the way, the other alternative besides Chromium or Opera is to go back to my good old FF5, which is what I did. :mrgreen: )
quixote

Post by quixote »

(by the way, I realize I could export Flashaid's script and edit it to go to a different place and file, but I don't know what's exactly equivalent to http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs ... 712.tar.gz. I do need the 64-bit version. If anybody knows some way to get at it either on Adobe's site or elsewhere, I could try that.)
quixote

Post by quixote »

Well, tried putting it in /opt/firefox and /usr/lib/firefox14. (/usr/lib/firefox already exists and I'm reluctant to mess with it.) /opt/firefox works for other versions of FF, but neither path seems to help. I'm beginning to wonder whether this might be a bug of some kind. ??
titetanium
Level 2
Level 2

Post by titetanium »

Hi,
Don't know if I'm supposed to be doing this but this link should be what you are trying to download. it's the 64 bit version.
quixote

Post by quixote »

Thanks, titetanium! Maybe I'll try pointing the script to that and see what happens. That's the same file I downloaded before, when I tried the manual install which hasn't worked. But that could be my fault. The file in the script is an earlier version which I guess Adobe has erased from the universe at this point.

Return to “LMDE Archive”