Yep, it's back in testing. But even the (un)official AMD/fglrx wiki's Debian page
isn't quite up-to-date (even though it was last updated 2/Sep) and gives the impression that it is impossible on Debian Wheezy or even Sid till said date, but there's a reference to the Discussion page, which I looked at , especially the part about "xserver 1.12.3-1 rumored to address the segfaults
". So I went crazy 6 days ago and updated through sid (xserver-xorg-core 184.108.40.2062-1 with fglrx-driver 12-6+point-1) because it wasn't in Wheezy yet, and a day later I updated (end of) the discussion page to confirm it works
. My only gripe was that after switching to the iGPU in CCC and restarting X to put it in effect, X wouldn't start, complaining that it can't find the fglrx module. This is cukoo because it really should be loading the intel module instead. Apparently, it doesn't change xorg.conf, but somehow masks fglrx. Removing xorg.conf and restarting X gets you back to the intel. aticonfig --initial to recreate xorg.conf and get back on fglrx. Would probably be worth retesting now that I have rolled back to pure LMDE and updated to UP5.
sobrus wrote:Since LMDE isn't 100% debian testing, just based on it, it would be good to put it back instead of killing off approx 20-30% of userbase. That would render LMDE distro very ureliable.
From what I know, LMDE "latest" is a bit more conservative in terms of updates than Debian testing. And fglrx was only available in Unstable, at least till 5 days ago when I last checked. So it is still quite fresh in testing. But personally, I think it is more stable and better performing than previous versions, especially given it is a point release, and would likely to be included in *hopefully* coming days. Still, I don't think it's beyond the average LMDE user to get it by (at least temporarily) adding testing to their apt/sources.list
edit: unfortunately t seems like building deb for debian isn't easy. While installer can do this for any debian version - it just doesn't work. I get some "file not found" errors.
I don't know if I am missing something, or it is just broken. Kernel sources installed. It always worked flawlessy on suse
Also from reading the brief notes in discussion page
, it sounds like it hasn't worked since 2009