Automount needs Authentication

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Lugh

Automount needs Authentication

Post by Lugh »

I'm running LMDE Xfce with KDE installed. I had my data storage drive start to go bad. So I replaced it and restored the data. I have it working fine so I can see it in Dolphin, but it isn't automounting on startup. I'm not sure what I have wrong. When I click on it in Dolphin it requires authentication, but mounts fine. Somehow I had the old one mounting at startup without authentication.

Here's my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=94984126-a1ec-44f1-98fe-938e4da9f8ef / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=dd95db99-da65-470b-a536-543ad260b657 swap swap sw 0 0
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=131bec2f-70b5-4db6-8a06-c6b8f6b80295 /media/Library ext4 rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,user,async 0 0

/dev/sdb1 is the one in question. It may be a permission thing, but I'm not sure what I need where.

Thanks,
Clyde
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brian49

Re: Automount needs Authentication

Post by Brian49 »

On my LMDE system, authentication is handled by the PolicyKit agent. If that is installed and active on your system, it could be the answer.

Try looking for this file, and if it exists, edit it as root:

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy

Find the section of the file contents which starts with the line "Authentication is required to mount the device"

then a few lines further on, change the "<allow_active>" entry to read:

<allow_active>yes</allow_active>

This should result in storage drives mounting without authentication. You may have to reboot for the change to take effect.

If your system doesn't use PolicyKit, then I'm afraid I have no other suggestions.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If I take your post literally, you had this line in fstab before the drive went bad:
UUID=131bec2f-70b5-4db6-8a06-c6b8f6b80295 /media/Library ext4 rw,suid,dev,exec,auto,user,async 0 0
Then you replaced the drive but you never stated if you updated fstab.

Run the following command to see if the UUID number of the new partition matches the one you have in fstab:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Lugh

Post by Lugh »

altair4, I did update the UUID as one of the first things.

Brian49, my system does have PolicyKit installed. I didn't know that. I found and edited the file to allow "yes" for both the "Mount a device" and "Mount a system-internal device" sections. Alas, it didn't make any difference. I don't know if my system is actually using PolicyKit.

I suppose that's one of things to deal with with a hybrid system - is Xfce or KDE controlling that? For example, KDE System Setting seems to control everything except the printer settings. That has to be configured in Xfce.

BTW, this problem is only after I boot. Once I login, open that drive, and authenticate. It will stay authenticated even after logging in and out. That's true no matter what users I log in and out as. So, it isn't very annoying. However, I do reboot once a week for image backups.

Thanks,
Clyde
Lugh

[SOLVED] Automount needs Authentication

Post by Lugh »

Well, kind of "solved".

I found out that it was that particular hard drive. I changed hard drives without changing anything else and that one auto authenticates just fine. I don't know why, but that's the truth. I wonder if that drive is starting to die, but not sure why that would matter either.

Clyde

Return to “LMDE Archive”