Long time without get any update

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ddave

Re: Long time without get any update

Post by ddave »

I think the best way is use the sid repo and release the updated more frequently
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

ddave wrote:I think the best way is use the sid repo and release the updated more frequently
Right now Sid is pretty calm, but after the freeze (which, while sid isn't frozen, does affect sid somewhat), it can get pretty unstable (especially gnome/cinnamon updates), so I don't think that would fit with Linux Mint's overall "newbie friendly" mentality (even if LMDE is for more advanced users). I'd support a move back to pure testing, though.
Fromax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fromax »

ddave wrote:I think the best way is use the sid repo and release the updated more frequently
Then feel free to edit your sources.list and track sid.
But be warned: If you're not careful, you will experience nasty breakages from time to time (I run Aptosid on another rig...)
I use LMDE 5, Void Linux, BunsenLabs & Linux Mint 21.1, btw!
sobrus

Post by sobrus »

Come on, LMDE is not THAT outdated. Do you really NEED newest possible versions of everything?
If it is particular application - why not use apt pinning?
And SID isn't much newer, so I don't think it is even worth the effort. You won't get even kernel newer than ancient 3.2.

Experimental is - and this is the only repo that really makes big difference, but it's obvious it isn't good base for LMDE.
Still, it can be using with apt pinning :)

And think about all the extra testing LMDE team would have to do, and which have been already done by Debian testing maintainers.
There is no point in doing it twice, especially since debian maintainers will most problably do it better (LMDE team is much smaller and receive far less feedback form users)

The only point I agree is that smaller more frequent updates are preferable. I think everybody will agree with that, even developers.
elemenophee

Post by elemenophee »

the point is.. how comes that Nadia has higher version of packages than LMDE? And I'm running right now Debian Testing and have newer packages than LMDE, so the frozen repositories theory isn't accepted anymore.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

elemenophee wrote:the point is.. how comes that Nadia has higher version of packages than LMDE? And I'm running right now Debian Testing and have newer packages than LMDE, so the frozen repositories theory isn't accepted anymore.
Nadia has newer packages for the following reasons:
  • Debian Testing is frozen for Wheezy, meaning no new package versions will enter it from Sid, whereas Ubuntu is pulling a lot of stuff from experimental/Sid
  • LMDE is meant to be behind Testing, which is, in turn, behind Sid, which is fairly equivalent in package version (most of the time, although less so during the freeze) to Ubuntu
  • Ubuntu pulls and patches packages from experimental, which means that it has newer packages than Sid
  • Nadia was released much more recently than the latest update pack
I run Debian Testing too, and I like the newer applications. However, LMDE is supposed to have older apps than Ubuntu and Debian Testing, and because of the older apps it is usually more stable (YMMV). Also, it allows you to "roll," so you can update between update packs more easily than you can update between Ubuntu releases. It's kind of like PCLinuxOS, which has a lot of older packages, but it is (for the most part) rolling.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

debian has a spirit and a concept and it's not about cutting edge; lmde inherits that and reinforces it with the UP.
if you don't understand the debian way, you will be all the time fighting against your system.
elemenophee

Post by elemenophee »

Copy from debian doc:

After a while, the "testing" distribution becomes truly `frozen'. This means that all new packages that are to propagate to the "testing" are held back, unless they include release-critical bug fixes

I'm getting almost everyday updates, so you can figure out what does means.

Return to “LMDE Archive”