Update Manager malfunction.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Update Manager malfunction.

Post by mhwelsh »

When Update Manager is called either from the 'Update Icon' at the top of the screen or from the Main Menu the following messages are displayed;
"Failed to run /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py 'show' '0' as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator."

I have checked the /etc/sudoers file and it appears to the same as a file that works properly in a functioning machine.
Some time ago I had the same trouble with both LinuxMint 12 and 13 but with them I just put up with it as I could still fall back on apt-get.
It appears, entirely assumption on my part, that Update Manager is necessary to upload package 6. Can any body please confirm this or even better point me in the right direction to get Update Manager to work.

martin welsh

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Update Manager malfunction.

Post by viking777 »

When logged in with your usual username (no elevated privileges), run the command:

Code: Select all

groups
To see what groups you are a member of.

Do you have trouble running with sudo on any other program or is it just mintupdate?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mhwelsh »

As a user - groups produces martin and vboxusers.
As root (su root) - root.

Normally I tend to use su root rather than sudo in the console. It may be history but I have had hiccups with sudo in the past so perhaps I use su root unnecessarily.

martin welsh

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

The su root might be the problem (have you tried it with sudo?) but I see from 'groups' that you are not in the 'admin' group and I think that might have something to do with it personally.

You can change that from the 'User Accounts' menu entry if you wish to. Click the padlock icon to unlock, then change the account type to administrator.

I can't guarantee that will fix it, but it's worth looking into, if it doesn't work or you don't like the idea, it is very easy to undo.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

mhwelsh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Update Manager malfunction. [Solved]

Post by mhwelsh »

I enclose details of 'group extracts'. The first two instances are with martin as a 'standard' user and the second two cases are with martin as an administrator.

martin@linux ~ $ grep martin /etc/group
martin:x:1000:martin
vboxusers:x:125:martin
martin@linux ~ $ grep sudo /etc/group
sudo:x:27:
martin@linux ~ $
sudo:x:27:martin
martin@linux ~ $

Changes to user accounts need a machine restart to be initiated.
With 'martin' as administrator Update Manager worked.

Using su root, this is a typical sort of instance where I would use it, I keyed in:

linux martin # usermod -a -G sudo martin

This produced;
(martin as user.)

linux martin # su martin
martin@linux ~ $

As an added bonus Update Manager now works like a charm.

Many thanks for your help.

martin welsh

Return to “LMDE Archive”