LMDE disapointment.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Brahim Salem

Re: LMDE disapointment.

Post by Brahim Salem »

I'm having a similar problem too :( Cinnamon takes too long to install on LMDE I am now installing it and I had one big jar of coffee to keep me through the long wait :( I really like LMDE it is faster than the main edition but when it comes to installing software it drives out of the window. I think I'm gonna smash the PC now waiting for Cinnamon to install and I have made about 12 or 13 themes for Linux Mint and none of them works on LMDE Mate edition :( When I satrt a torrent download my connection speed goes up and when I pause it synaptic is a snail :oops: I'll have to wait for now until cinnamon finishes and decide whether I wanna go back to the main Mint edition :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

gryphon wrote:As I said, Cinnamon 2 on a pure Debian system doesn't seem to work too well, probably I'm missing something but I don't know what. Others I've talked to had the same problem. I'll just wait until it becomes available in the official repo, so dependencies and other needed packages hopefully won't be an issue.
Ok, but did you try to transform your system to a pure Debian Testing, after you installed Cinnamon on LMDE? That was my question :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Mr. B wrote:
If one man, Schoelje, with help from just a few other people can pull it off with his own project SolydXK that even exists of various editions and for which he develops tools too, then i ask myself why it can't be done with LMDE.
For your information, on January 1st, SolydXK team leader announced that the UP release would only happens 4 times per year now. Too much work to do for a monthly release. :wink:

That's probably explain:
  1. Why LMDE can have more frequent UP;
  2. Why the main edition of Mint should be abandoned and why Mint team should only focus on LMDE :mrgreen:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

killer de bug wrote:For your information, on January 1st, SolydXK team leader announced that the UP release would only happens 4 times per year now. Too much work to do for a monthly release. :wink:
That was expected. You cannot make a reliable release out of ever-changing Debian Testing every month. Too much testing to do, and even so, there are some breakages and bugs in Testing that cannot be worked around easily.
This should be shown to everybody who shouted "I want LMDE to have UPs every month!!!!11" in the past.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

killer de bug wrote: For your information, on January 1st, SolydXK team leader announced that the UP release would only happens 4 times per year now. Too much work to do for a monthly release. :wink:
Yep... one day after i posted my comment here i saw the post on G+ so i couldn't know it on the 31st. Smaller team, no people wiling to jump in to help, less time..... i knew it would happen at some point.
Monsta wrote: That was expected. You cannot make a reliable release out of ever-changing Debian Testing every month. Too much testing to do, and even so, there are some breakages and bugs in Testing that cannot be worked around easily.
This should be shown to everybody who shouted "I want LMDE to have UPs every month!!!!11" in the past.
No matter when a UP is released, there will always be some kind of hick up. But... Keeping the gap huge between such UP releases, 1 or 2 times a year, is asking for more problems than releasing a UP every month or every two months. When looking at the forums.... How many people ran into huge problems with LMDE after upgrading to the new UP's...? A lot. I didn't have any trouble when using SolydXK and their monthly UP's compared to when using LMDE.

Maybe they should drop LMDE and that's what i see happen in the future at some point, people are getting less interested because it's not working as should and it's not what they expect from a (semi/cyclic) rolling release, which LMDE is not to be honest.
Or, as many times before has been suggested, they should switch the Linux Mint base to Debian, drop the UP'S for LMDE and just follow the Debian Stable cycle. Then users have a rocksolid and secure linux distro they can use for two to three years while they get the desktop environments and all the mint tools updated by the Mint team.

Anyhoo, i'm just sharing my thoughts here but to be honest i stopped using Ubuntu and Debian based distro's more than a month ago and found something to my liking.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

That's probably explain:

Why LMDE can have more frequent UP;
Why the main edition of Mint should be abandoned and why Mint team should only focus on LMDE
completely agree with this one :D
Maybe they should drop LMDE and that's what i see happen in the future at some point, people are getting less interested because it's not working as should and it's not what they expect from a (semi/cyclic) rolling release, which LMDE is not to be honest.
Or, as many times before has been suggested, they should switch the Linux Mint base to Debian, drop the UP'S for LMDE and just follow the Debian Stable cycle. Then users have a rocksolid and secure linux distro they can use for two to three years while they get the desktop environments and all the mint tools updated by the Mint team.
somehow I saw it on other way. there is more and more people interested with LMDE's rolling release model. that's a prove that the idea is actually a good one. using debian stable as the base isn't an option since LMDE was born as a rolling release distro. we only need to get a better maintenance for this project. from what I saw, mint team might need to allocate more resource on LMDE. that's all
rayandrews

Post by rayandrews »

kurotsugi wrote:
That's probably explain:

Why LMDE can have more frequent UP;
Why the main edition of Mint should be abandoned and why Mint team should only focus on LMDE
completely agree with this one :D
somehow I saw it on other way. there is more and more people interested with LMDE's rolling release model. that's a prove that the idea is actually a good one. using debian stable as the base isn't an option since LMDE was born as a rolling release distro. we only need to get a better maintenance for this project. from what I saw, mint team might need to allocate more resource on LMDE. that's all
It seems everyone agrees that the current state of things with LMDE is not what it should be. Clem better do one thing well than two things not so well. But think of the future: does Clem really want to be tied to Shuttleworth forever? Of course he has done fantastic things for Linux, but IMHO it is time for Clem to make his own decisions on everything, and focus all work on LMDE where he is the master. For myself, I hesitate to use a 'third generation' distro, like main Mint, because there is just more things to go wrong. That's why I use LMDE, because it's 'second generation'.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

From my point of view, the main edition requires too much work for only 9 months of support...
But of course, this is only my opinion. :wink:
py-thon

Post by py-thon »

killer de bug wrote:From my point of view, the main edition requires too much work for only 9 months of support.
I agree with this. But the last UPs caused trouble to a lot of people and for some of them installing the most recent Mint main edition twice a year seems easier and quicker than to quarrel with an UP twice a year. On linuxmintusers.de most users advise potential users not to use LMDE because of the problems caused by the UPs.
In my opinion it is not acceptable having isos almost one year old and expect people to download 1 GB, install this and then download the next GB which overwrites almost everything just installed. Even if nothing breaks in the process it will cost more than twice the time of a normal install.
Both things together will slowly kill LMDE.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

they actually have that in their mind. indeed, too much work for only 9 month support. I've heard that there's a plan to use only the LTS base as the base for main edition.
It seems everyone agrees that the current state of things with LMDE is not what it should be. Clem better do one thing well than two things not so well. But think of the future: does Clem really want to be tied to Shuttleworth forever? Of course he has done fantastic things for Linux, but IMHO it is time for Clem to make his own decisions on everything, and focus all work on LMDE where he is the master. For myself, I hesitate to use a 'third generation' distro, like main Mint, because there is just more things to go wrong. That's why I use LMDE, because it's 'second generation'.

you might be right but maintaining LMDE seems require more works. take debian testing snapshot - do some test - fix the breakage - fix mint's package incompatibility issue with debian's one - fix some bugs - got it released. compared to the usual ones, get an ubuntu iso - put mint stuffs - do some test - fix problems (if any) - got it released. furthermore, main edition got more user than LMDE. it will be hard to convince clem to leave ubuntu.
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

So I've tried Debian Stable, and had high hopes for it. I ended up calling it Deb!$#!@n. :) Still, a number of things work which don't in *buntu (like reasonable boot times, standby, and Firefox).
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've said this over and over--LMDE should be based on Debian Stable. Much less work and headaches. Backporting newer necessary software would be much easier against Stable than a moving target (Testing). LMDE will be much more important if Canonical ever gets tired of losing money and chasing the illusive phone market. LMDE is not 'rolling' if you have to replace it with each new update pack. Stable is released about every three years. One could focus on keeping browsers and needed software updated against Stable, or breaking everything on Testing once or twice a year. My two cents :)
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

If you like KDE, SolydXK takes LMDE and points it to stable. I don't know how many know Linux Mint's a mommy now. :lol: http://solydxk.com/business/solydkbe/
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

wyrdoak wrote:If you like KDE, SolydXK takes LMDE and points it to stable. I don't know how many know Linux Mint's a mommy now. :lol: http://solydxk.com/business/solydkbe/
I saw that, it looks good, too bad it's only 64 bit.
Drak2Mint

Post by Drak2Mint »

Over here 5 PC's running LMDE, over aprox. the last year with various hardware and almost NO problems at all.
The only problems to encounter, after a new UPxx, a little tweaking on the 'sources.list'
Wishes? Game compatibility. This is the only reason W7 still exists for Dual-boot over here for the boys.

In general, SUPERB, VERY FAST ON SSD's, boots in 6 sec's, ROCK SOLID, surely compared to the Ubuntu based LM's.

For the record.

Intel, 1x Quad-core i5, with Radeon 68xx card.
AMD, 2x Quad-core A8, and since yesterday 2x A10 7850K as standalone without separate GPU cards.
furthermore, main edition got more user than LMDE. it will be hard to convince clem to leave ubuntu.
My Guess, the most users, for sure the new ones, don't know, haven't a clue, as LMDE is pronounced as 'harder to deal with'.
Surely from a point of 'just klik and go', this is right. One needs to think a little on themselves, almost nothing more do.
mtort1977

Post by mtort1977 »

Some other good resources are http://steamOSdownloads.com

and

http://thesteamOS.com

Both have the downloads and sport some good SteamOS info

Return to “LMDE Archive”