Cannot run mintInstall

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
dimi

Cannot run mintInstall

Post by dimi »

When I try to run Software Manager, I get the window asking me for the root password and after that nothing happens.

From terminal running

Code: Select all

$ mintinstall -d
Gives me

xauth: -a955c6979f86385411f12aa818f056f5
-
display: -:0-
final xauth: -a955c6979f86385411f12aa818f056f5
-
final display: -:0-
STARTUP_ID: gksu/|usr|lib|linuxmint|mintInstall|mintInstall.py 'dimi' '|home|dimi'/9822-0-white_TIME0
gksu_context_run: buf: -Wachtwoord: -
no password on keyring
DEBUG (run:after-pass) buf: -Wachtwoord: -
-EBUG (run:post-after-pass) buf: -
-EBUG (run:post-after-pass) buf: -su: Authenticatie fout
-EBUG (auth_failed) buf: -su: Authenticatie fout
My LMDE is installed in Dutch, but it basicly says "Authentication Error".

Anywone have an idea how to resolve this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cannot run mintInstall

Post by xenopeek »

dimi wrote:When I try to run Software Manager, I get the window asking me for the root password and after that nothing happens.
You don't, it is asking for your own password.
dimi

Post by dimi »

OK, so I give in my own password and nothing happens. The problem stays the same: I cannot run mintInstall.
muffin

Post by muffin »

Hello,

Are you trying to run mintinstall from a secondary user account, ie. not the user account you created when you installed Mint? If so, I think this might be the same problem as I'm experiencing:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=129383

As user uid 1000, I can run mintinstall normally, and it accepts my password as "the administrative password".

As another user (say "newuser"), I get the following:

$ gksu mintinstall
...fails with newuser's password, but works if I enter the password of user uid 1000. This is the same as running Software Manager from the menu, it seems.

Yet:

$ gksudo mintinstall
...accepts newuser's password and works. So maybe that's a workaround for you?

- m
FledgeHammer

Post by FledgeHammer »

Dimi, did you ever figure out what was wrong and how to fix it? I am having the same problem with Mint 17. Regardless of whether I run it from the main Menu or on a command line, it asks my password then quits. If I use any password other than the root password it gives me a "wrong password" error, but when I put in the root password it simply quits.

IOError: cannot open resource

EDIT DATE: 2014/12/04
Found the answer on another forum. If you have uninstalled any system fonts, you need to reinstall them. To reduce the clutter of a lot having of fonts you rarely use, install Font-Manager. That way all you have to do is turn the superfluous fonts off and on in Font Manager as needed.

Return to “LMDE Archive”