Best Cad program?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Viking64

Best Cad program?

Post by Viking64 »

I ran across this article because I am looking for a Cad program for Linux.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=126985

So far I have found
-Draftsight
-GstarCad
-BricsCad
-LibreCad
-QCad

Has anyone used these, and if so how good are they? :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: Best Cad program?

Post by vrkalak »

As many of the older Linux users may know, I am a Registered Architect living and working in the US.
I have been using Linux and Open Source exclusively for a few years now. I refuse to use AutoCAD.

I am asked these types of questions all the time.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
AutoCAD is the only true Architectural Design program accepted by most professionals. The AIA (an American Architects Fraturnity) almost disbarred me for not using this Windows-based software.
While there are NO Linux-based drafting programs to rival the maturity of AutoCAD, some like Archimedes, LibreCAD and SagCAD are gaining popularity 'Worldwide' over the AutoCAD drafting/CAD market. In the next couple of years, I can see these programs giving the Windows-based AutoCAD -- serious competition. QCad and SagCAD save their files in the same DXF format as AutoCAD so my saved files are compatible and viewable on most 'any computer.

Like many Windows-based programs, I never did get AutoCAD to work through Wine or VirtualBox.
AutoCAD is very glitchy and unstable, in that regard.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Archimedes-for-Linux (CAD) is not so user-friendly a program/application as one might think. Although this is a good program, the learning curve is steep.

My recommendations for good user-friendly Architectural/Engineering programs are: QCad, SagCAD LibreCAD and Blender.

QCad is an excellent architectural/enginnering Linux-based program.
SagCAD is a great architectural program for Linux, most similar to AutoCAD.
LibreCAD is a new, up and coming architectural-specific rival to AutoCAD and completely Free Open Source.

Blender is a 3D modelling program (similar to Googles' Sketchup) . . . I use Blender for my 3D Perspective Architectural Renderings.

No need to search the web for any of these programs/applications, as they are all in the Debian/Mint/Ubuntu repositories.
Simply use the Synaptic Manager, select 'install' . . . Done.
If you want, read up on each, check out their respective Wiki pages ... they each, also, have good Help-Forums.

And, yes ... I agree that the price for AutoCAD is outrageous.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Unfortunately, I am usually busy, either with work or Linux, though I do frequent the LinuxMint Forum - daily.
If you need to get a hold of me > I am a Moderator at the LinuxMint Forums (main and spanish forum) and a Debian-Maintainer.

Easiest to find me here.
jouzts

Re: Best Cad program?

Post by jouzts »

WOW, what a great post for all us Walter Mitty architects among open source advocates!

If you have written more extensively about your experiences using open source programs in your long career, I have not been able to find it. Judging from the number of superficial published articles "reviewing" Linux CAD programs, surely there is a demand for an extensive review by someone who has walked the walk and can tell the story of what it was really like.

jouzts

Return to “LMDE Archive”