Frostwire in LMDE?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Frostwire in LMDE?

Post by jjaythomas »

Will 'frostwire' become available in LMDE again?
even the on on web doesn't run, and the older versions are discontinued and don't work properly (will install thou) :roll:
I believe it's cause they need a newer 'Java' not yet available in debian.

Thank You
J.Jay

millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Frostwire in LMDE?

Post by millpond »

Frostwire 4.2.1.5 appears to fire up fine in Mint/Wheezy from the main repo.
It needs Java 6.0.24 which should be installed. already.

When firing up Frostwire it does say something about an 'update' - which I declined and it fired up normally.

I do not normally use it as it has 'issues' with my p2p block lists, which work normally with uTorrent (in wine).

jjaythomas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jjaythomas »

My Mistake :oops: :oops: :oops:

Frostwire is in LMDE software manager! I'm using a Offshoot Distro of LMDE (solydkx) since before it went separate (was still a 'unofficial Xfce version of LMDE). Not in solydkx software (assumed still used same sources as LMDE :oops: ) will direct question their.

Frostwire 4 version (at least running live) will install and will 'fire up' but I cannot get it to connect in LMDE proper. Truthfully had tried a 5version on solydxk. where (on solydkx) would not run or install at all (or version 4 from mint repo).

Sorry
J.Jay

heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

Neither the old version from repo, nor the new from website works with LMDE, I mean, they opens but doesn't connect to network! :( :cry:
OS: Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit, CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 2.8GHz, RAM: Elpida 4GB PC2-6400 800MHz DDR2 (EBE21UE8AFFA-8G-F), GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3200, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, HDD: Hitachi 2TB (HUA723020ALA641) 7200RPM

millpond
Level 3
Level 3

Post by millpond »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrostWire
-------------------------------
There might not be a network to connect to.
Especially if in the US.
Where ISPs are cracking down on P2P.

Only safe method is to use VPN and good torrent client.

Networks like gnutella are inherently insecure as you can be certain that their main servers have direct connections to the RIAA - if they even still exist.

Think : Magnet links, pgl, VPN.

Return to “LMDE Archive”