Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [10-11-14]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [12-08-13]

Post by GeneBenson »

Got a new kernel today: 3.12-1. Installed fine with SMXI. However reinstalling Nvidia proprietary driver 331.20 with SGFXI failed. Fortunately SGFXI also gives the solution. You need to reboot using the new kernel. X won't start so you are left on tty1 with a login prompt. So, login as root and enter the command: sgfxi -f. The reinstall succeeds and you can now let SGFXI start your DM and login as usual.

Using sgfxi -f tells the Nvidia installer to use the "--no-unified-memory" option. You can Google "nvidia unified memory" to learn more about it. :D
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

I had not updated/upgraded since August 2013. Did a upgrade and a Dist upgrade 2 days ago. Everything went well. No breakages/nothing broken. A fee minor issues with Apt-listbugs, but easily resolved.

Just wanted to say. THANK YOU to EVERYONE on this board and the people who build and are behind the project.

Thank You once again.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Installed the Cinnamon RC and switched to Testing sources. I had to lock the mint-meta-debian-cinnamon package as the upgrade wanted to remove it. Otherwise it seems to be working OK.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:I had to lock the mint-meta-debian-cinnamon package as the upgrade wanted to remove it.
It can happen if you remove either /etc/apt/preferences file or the packages.linuxmint.com entry from the sources list.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Yes, I removed preferences as I figured that would cause me trouble. Interesting how that package was tied to hunspel.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

KBD47 wrote:Interesting how that package was tied to hunspel.
Here's how.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Monsta wrote:
KBD47 wrote:Interesting how that package was tied to hunspel.
Here's how.
Interesting. I installed myspell and removed hunspell. I wonder if it's safer to run Cinnamon without out the apt-pinning or if it's necessary to avoid continual problems with Testing?
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

BIG problem today but easily fixed. During update I got the following messages:

Code: Select all

(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:6177): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
  gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.
To make a long story short: gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders is in the wrong location so it isn't found.
Solution:
Copy, as Root, /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders to /usr/bin
Then in a terminal: su (sudo didn't work for me) then

gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
Logout and back in again. Problem solved. :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

GeneBenson wrote:BIG problem today but easily fixed. During update I got the following messages:

(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:6177): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
to make things work again for the time being.
I've seen this message several times - during the upgrade to UP7 and also to UP8. And every time after the upgrade was finished, I've looked at the mentioned loaders.cache file and it looked like it already contained the dump of gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders command, so I didn't have to run anything. :)
GeneBenson wrote:To make a long story short: gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders is in the wrong location so it isn't found.

$ apt contains gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev: /usr/share/man/man1/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders.1.gz
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev: /usr/bin/gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders
As you can see, there's no need to copy, it's enough to install the additional package.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi Monsta,
As you can see, there's no need to copy, it's enough to install the additional package.
Yes, that is true. However "libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev" wants to install an additional 15 packages, all .dev's. How did you wind up installing a .dev package in the first place? I try very hard to avoid them. :shock:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

GeneBenson wrote:Yes, that is true. However "libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev" wants to install an additional 15 packages, all .dev's. How did you wind up installing a .dev package in the first place? I try very hard to avoid them. :shock:
Well,

aptitude why libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev
says it's installed because I have libgtk-3-dev.
I remember I've installed Glade and some other related tools, so maybe it was the cause.
StratosJL

Post by StratosJL »

Just installed LMDE 2014 and pointed sources to testing. Glad to report nothing seems broken.

Did get the message you mentioned and copied the file as su. No probs. Great job, I cannot tell the difference between main edition and LMDE (well, I can, but only because of locales changing and proprietary drivers handling differences).

8)
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

StratosJL wrote:Just installed LMDE 2014 and pointed sources to testing. Glad to report nothing seems broken.

Did get the message you mentioned and copied the file as su. No probs. Great job, I cannot tell the difference between main edition and LMDE (well, I can, but only because of locales changing and proprietary drivers handling differences).

8)
That's great :-)
LMDE pointing to Testing is holding up well for me so far. I think this should be the default, would save the Mint team lots of work. Add apt-listbugs and this baby is ready to go :-)
narendra.d

Post by narendra.d »

Can someone please explain how I can boot into a console/terminal from the boot scren. My system is broken and I can't boot into either the desktop or into Recovery mode. I only get jumbled up text that seems to be broken and impossible to even understand one character. It happened after I had to do a hard reset on a frozen system during a apt-get update (not upgrade or dist-upgrade)

Appreciate any pointers to how to proceed to recover my system and also on how to deal with a frozen display system that does not respond on the desktop to mouse/keyboard inputs.
Cyr4x
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyr4x »

Today i've got an update of LMDE using debian testing repo. Mostly from libcogl12 to libcogl20. It definitely screwed Cinnamon IDE. Cinnamon package requires libcogl12 and libcogl-pango12 but they seem to be no longer available in repos.

Apt-get says:

Requires: libcogl-pango12 (>= 1.7.4) but it's unable to install
Requires: libcogl12 (>= 1.9.6) but it's unable to install
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Today's update removed: network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
It also updated modemmanager which is incompatible with the current version of network-manager.

This left me without any network connection. Fortunately there is MATE Network. Using this I could define a Wired Network connection. After a reboot I once again had a network connection but no nm-applet since this has been removed. :shock:
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

the required package for modemmanager alredy on unstable several days ago. you can grab it to fix your system.
Today i've got an update of LMDE using debian testing repo. Mostly from libcogl12 to libcogl20. It definitely screwed Cinnamon IDE. Cinnamon package requires libcogl12 and libcogl-pango12 but they seem to be no longer available in repos.
the package is removed due to libcogl20 transition. your option will be hold libcogl12 or uninstall cinnamon.
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

GeneBenson wrote:Today's update removed: network-manager and network-manager-gnome.
It also updated modemmanager which is incompatible with the current version of network-manager.

This left me without any network connection. Fortunately there is MATE Network. Using this I could define a Wired Network connection. After a reboot I once again had a network connection but no nm-applet since this has been removed. :shock:
It will be back install-able soon. Its now back in SID

gene@siduction:~$ apt-cache policy network-manager-gnome
network-manager-gnome:
  Installed: 0.9.8.8-4
  Candidate: 0.9.8.8-4
  Version table:
 *** 0.9.8.8-4 0
        500 http://http.debian.net/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Another option is to install WICD
WICD is a wired and wireless network manager - metapackage

Wicd is a general-purpose network configuration server which aims
to provide a simple but flexible interface for connecting to networks.
Its features include:
* wide variety of settings;
* ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and
wireless networks;
* support for many encryption schemes, including WEP, WPA, WPA2 and
custom schemes;
* wireless-tools compatibility;
* tray icon showing network activity and signal strength;
* lack of GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), making it
easy to use in Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.

This is a metapackage, it allows installation of all the components of
Wicd, including one of the clients, which must be manually chosen.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [2-04-14]

Post by GeneBenson »

Hi kurotsugi,
your option will be hold libcogl12 or uninstall cinnamon.
Yes, if Cinnamon was installed. "Fortunately there is MATE Network" should have been a clue. But thanks anyway. :wink:

Hi GeneC,
I installed WICD earlier today. For some reason it takes longer to make a network connection then it's Gnome counterpart, causing MintUpdate to wait 30 seconds before it makes an appearance. Oh well. :shock:

P.s. Uninstalled WICD. All it gives me is a Network icon that I never look at. Guess I'll wait for the new versions to move from SID. :D
GeneC

Re: Upgrade Warnings: LMDE tracking TESTING [2-04-14]

Post by GeneC »

Hey GeneB..^.. :)

I dont really need either. Network works just fine without...

=====================

I just discovered a problem. GDEBI-gtk opens but crashes when trying to install pkg.
python2.7 issue? (the adwaita message is not a real issue, I dont believe.)

gene@makulu:~$ gdebi-gtk

** (gdebi-gtk:5902): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (gdebi-gtk:5902): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist
gene@makulu:~$ gdebi-gtk

** (gdebi-gtk:5920): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (gdebi-gtk:5920): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gdebi/GDebi/GDebiGtk.py", line 513, in on_open_activate
    self.open(fs.get_filename())
  File "/usr/share/gdebi/GDebi/GDebiGtk.py", line 330, in open
    if not self._deb.check():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/debfile.py", line 518, in check
    if not self.check_breaks_existing_packages():
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/debfile.py", line 447, in check_breaks_existing_packages
    self._cache.op_progress.done()
AttributeError: 'dict' object has no attribute 'op_progress'
I first noticed this on my Debian (Testing) install, but again on Makulu (Deb Testing).

Return to “LMDE Archive”