Mate 1.6

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Mate 1.6

Post by manyroads »

Any idea when Mate 1.6 might appear in LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mate 1.6

Post by kmb42vt »

I'd like to know the same thing. I did update LMDE/MATE 201303 to MATE 1.6 using the instructions from here:

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download#debian

However, the instructions for LMDE are vague and confusing as they don't address LMDE directly, only Debian and once MATE 1.4 is upgraded to 1.6 in LMDE 201303/MATE, the time form login to desktop increases dramatically due to the migration from MateConfig to gsettings, replacing MateCorba/MateComponent with DBus and (possibly) replacing MateVfs with GIO/GVFS. This is due to the upgrade not removing the startup commands and config files for daemons and settings that have been replaced as far as I can tell. I did get it running rather well but I'm sure I missed a few things that should have been removed/replaced manually. As such, I reinstalled LMDE 201303/MATE 1.4 and will wait until 1.6 is backported.

Understanding that nothing is going to happen for LMDE until Linux Mint 15 is released (of course :) ), it would be nice to see MATE 1.6 backported to LMDE sometime in the near future.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
twnaing

Post by twnaing »

Same here.

I had 201303 LMDE 64bit Mint (MATE 1.4) and then updated to 1.6 according to the instruction of Mate-desktop website.

* I lost my desktop settings (like panel arrangement)
* Beloved Mint Menu gone!
* Control center's desktop related settings no longer worked (changed of background setting saving)
* I had to use DConfEditor instead of MateConf to set the setting I wanted (like composition, font-style, control button arrangement, etc.)
* UI improved
* Gnome-do plugins started working (e.g. Define)

Unfortunately, compiz (I thought) made my laptop hang and I was forced to power down. When the laptop restarted and logged in only black screen shown and many other things were not working as they were doing.

I reinstalled 201303 and waiting for arrival of MATE 1.6 by Mint team.
splarv

Post by splarv »

Also there exists a custome repository for LMDE with compiz 0.8.8 linked with Mate 1.4.
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?t=869
It will not work with Mate 1.6 becouse it's linked with mateconf.
bancha333

Post by bancha333 »

Hi, I updated mate from 1.4 to 1.6 in LMDE (debian edition) and was not functional mintmenu. Menu should look like gnome2....

After starting mintmenu from the command line, I received this:
Gtk.py:47: RuntimeWarning: You have imported the Gtk 2.0 module. Because Gtk 2.0 was not designed for use with introspection some of the interfaces and API will fail. As such this is not supported by the pygobject development team and we encourage you to port your app to Gtk 3 or greater. PyGTK is the recomended python module to use with Gtk 2.0

solution:
fetch this script: [url]http://git.mate-desktop.org/mate-desktop/plain/mate-conf/mate-conf-import[/url]
Usage: python mate-conf-import
Run "mate-panel --reset"

After this command is mintmenu back again and everything is fine.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Sorry, Bancha, but could you be more specific? What did you exactly do to run this script and to get the Menu in the new version Mate 1.6? I've also failed to get the usual Mint Menu after upgrading to Mate 1.6.
Paulm

Post by Paulm »

Try using Synaptic.
Screenshot-1.png
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Here is what I did.
I had the version Mate 1.4 and then I upgraded it to the 1.6 through my Update Manager. I admit I did not like the new look, but never mind of that. Unfortunately, I made an error with logging-in and was unable to run. As I was in hurry and there was no time to ask for an advice, I had to re-install the system.
I downloaded the last available ISO of LMDE, with UP-6, and installed it. Then I tried to be more careful and again started the upgrade process through the Update Manager. Everything went smoothly, but after the restart, there was the same good-old and familiar look of my Desktop. It's just the same like Mate 1.4, just as if nothing happened. I checked through the Update Manager and it is ensuring me that the system was upgraded to the version 1.6.
It's not that I complain, I'm perfectly happy with this system, it's just a bit puzzling. :?
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Here is how my desktop looks like after upgrading from Mate 1.4 to Mate 1.6. Nothing has changed. I also added some information from my Package Manager.
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

Three more pictures from Package Manager. Is there anything wrong here? :?:
Paulm

Post by Paulm »

Looks ok to me, but you can add 'mate destkop-environment-extra' & themes if you want....
>sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extra<
rudar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rudar »

So, everything is perfect as far as I'm concerned. I only had to adapt my shortcuts and that's it! Not a single icon on my Desktop is lost and everything works perfectly well.
Great job of Mint developers again and many congratulations!! Keep up with the good work!

Return to “LMDE Archive”